Brave Stand of Dian Wei

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:30 pm

Dian_Wei wrote:I may be confusing Cao Ang with Cao Zhang, which one had a red haired beard?

Cao Zhang was the one with the notable beard (sometimes red, but usually yellow). I don't think Cao Ang's beard was ever mentioned.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:16 pm

I guess I was confusing the two, I thought that Cao Ang had the red beard, and that's how I remember him being praised. But I'm pretty sure that Cao Ang is praised earlier in the book.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Guan Yan » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:16 am

who do you think is a better body guard and fighter out of dain wei, and xu zhu.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Shang » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:03 am

Both have their value, but Xu Zhu just serves a lot longer. Dian Wei also killed too many civilians in his hometown. Xu Zhu seems more balanced and calm and is my choice.
Cao Shang
Langzhong

Unread postby Guan Yan » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:48 am

I read dain wei's bio and he is probably the second greatest fighter of all time he defeted Lu Bu's forces which lu bu participated in killed numerous men with many cuts and wounds fought withover 10 halberds in his hand had much praise quite an amazing character.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re:

Unread postby PhoenixRising » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:17 am

Kong Wen wrote:Cao Zhang was the one with the notable beard (sometimes red, but usually yellow). I don't think Cao Ang's beard was ever mentioned.

How can a Chinese people have a red beard? :? i also confused why Sun Quan said have a blue eyes, purple beard? strange isn't it? does their beard being painted?
Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain-FURINKAZAN-
PhoenixRising
Langzhong

Re: Re:

Unread postby Mr Liang » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:28 pm

PhoenixRising wrote:How can a Chinese people have a red beard? :? i also confused why Sun Quan said have a blue eyes, purple beard? strange isn't it? does their beard being painted?

I can't speak to the purple beard, but everytime I read about his blue eyes I just think of "Big Trouble in Little China"
"Writers always have the last word, probably because we have so many of them." -Gore Vidal
Mr Liang
Assistant

Re: Brave Stand of Dian Wei

Unread postby Guan Yan » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:00 am

Or yellow beard like Cao Zhang
Yuan shu you dare declare yourself emporor I shall bring the justice of the Han upon your head.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby PhoenixRising » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:22 am

Guan Yan wrote:Or yellow beard like Cao Zhang

how come he has a yellow beard?? :? wierd...
Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain-FURINKAZAN-
PhoenixRising
Langzhong

Unread postby Aaron.K » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:59 pm

PhoenixRising wrote:
Guan Yan wrote:Or yellow beard like Cao Zhang

how come he has a yellow beard?? :? wierd...

There have been theories that Sun Quan with his purple beard (should be red/brown) was actually Caucasian, same with Cao Zhang. And while they seem that they would be the most likely reasons, there is no valid proof that they are. There have been other theories (at least in terms of Cao Zhang's yellow beard), that he may have had a disorder which caused the pigmentation on his beard to be lighter. But again, these are theories as nothing has been shown to actually prove them.
"Don't trust anyone. Never sit with your back to an entrance. Wear shoes with reversed footprints."
Also, check out my forum. A general history board called: The History Room
Aaron.K
Sage

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium