What's this Lu Bu worship that I see all over the place?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat May 06, 2006 1:43 am

James, I certainly agree with what you have to say about the novel's influence on Lü Bu's overall image today (in the games, etc.). It can't be denied that the reason Koei and others portray Lü Bu in the way they do is related to his depiction in the novel.

But I think you started getting closer to my point near the end of your post. No matter how much influence the novel had on the game series (DW, RTK, etc.), it still doesn't make much sense to attribute the widespread appreciation of Lü Bu among young people in North America to Sanguo Yanyi. The factors that make him so appealing in the game are rooted in earlier source material, but it's the later sources that account for his popularity.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Mei Zhen » Sat May 06, 2006 2:50 am

I'm inclined to believe that even though the novel portrays Lu Bu as a great but treacherous warrior, he wouldn't be nearly as popular as he is now without Koei's Dynasty Warriors. While Lu Bu is the warrior that is something of a measuring post for later fighters ("he was labelled a match for Lu Bu", and like statements), Luo Guanzhong's portrayal seems to me like one that emphasizes his character flaws more than his might - and perhaps his military prowess only serves to heighten and magnify his multiple betrayals.

His popularity may also be due to the fact that in Dynasty Warriors, you can control him - and he even has storylines written for him that can allow a player to sympathize with, or otherwise justify his actions. Giving him a crazy moveset and a unique horse makes him superheroic, and so the cult fascination that has arisen is not really a surprise. So I think that his recent popularity is due mostly, if not totally, to the games he's portrayed in.
"In a modern culture
My friend you must be careful
They've a million ways to kill you

In this dangerous world
There’s an art to growing old
Taking chances
Magic happens"
- Garbage, Breaking Up the Girl
Mei Zhen
Lost in Quotation

Unread postby GanNing » Sun May 07, 2006 1:48 pm

Mei Zhen wrote:I'm inclined to believe that even though the novel portrays Lu Bu as a great but treacherous warrior, he wouldn't be nearly as popular as he is now without Koei's Dynasty Warriors. While Lu Bu is the warrior that is something of a measuring post for later fighters ("he was labelled a match for Lu Bu", and like statements), Luo Guanzhong's portrayal seems to me like one that emphasizes his character flaws more than his might - and perhaps his military prowess only serves to heighten and magnify his multiple betrayals.

His popularity may also be due to the fact that in Dynasty Warriors, you can control him - and he even has storylines written for him that can allow a player to sympathize with, or otherwise justify his actions. Giving him a crazy moveset and a unique horse makes him superheroic, and so the cult fascination that has arisen is not really a surprise. So I think that his recent popularity is due mostly, if not totally, to the games he's portrayed in.

I always have liked him because he's never a character you can never fully figure out. I mean he has his dishonorable actions and you think he's a fiend, then he does something right afterwards that makes you think he's not so bad.

Personally I never liked playing him in the video games because RTK games dumb him down so much he's worthless anywhere but the battlefield. And I never have cared for DW.
GanNing
Initiate

Unread postby Waking Dragon » Mon May 08, 2006 3:13 pm

Theres nothing wrong with a little hero worship here and there.

I mean Lu Bu single handedly defeated like 5 generals and 3 armies at Hu Lao gate, so I believe it's worth some sort of praise.

-Mo
"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water." r.i.p legend...

Bruce Lee
Waking Dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shi Tong » Mon May 08, 2006 4:09 pm

Of course he had acheivements, but none of them were good enough to respect him because In my opinion there's nothing worse than a backstabber. All of the power and military genious in the world cant make up for what he did to his leaders.
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shadowlink » Mon May 08, 2006 4:36 pm

he is okay... i dnut like him or hate him, expect when he betrays me in destiny of an emperor and keep betraying people... he is a pain in thee butt
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby SaintCel » Wed May 10, 2006 5:28 am

Well, Lu Bu was not as bad as history describe him. He's just too sentimental over certain things. People tend to worship people that have ability.. like Zhuge Liang for his intelligent etc.. So there's nothing wrong to worship Lu Bu for his fighting ability.

In fact, Lu Bu was truely a hero during that time. Think about it.. what is a hero? A hero is a name that fond by others and fear by many.... Dong Zhuo, a tyrant who was an emperor wannabe even fear him and later fond of him... Cao Cao, who had a very strong influence in the imperial court was fear by him too... Do you think that Cao Cao fear Dong Cheng, who was the uncle of the imperial or even the emperor himself... There are still many example I can say though...

Anyway, here is a clip where Lu Bu meet his stead. (In case some of you didnt watch the show). If you can understand it, you'll see that Lu Bu was the only one that suit Red hare. Anyway, it a cool song though :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sSlovymi7w
SaintCel
Tyro

Unread postby Xiao Chibai » Wed May 10, 2006 8:54 am

I enjoy playing Lu Bu. His play value is exceptionally high, even on the Dynasty Warrior series. Otherwise, IRL I probably wouldn't associate with people of similar reputation.

I guess you can think of it like pro-wrestling. You have this big mean arrogant sob that talks smack and puts the beat down on the opponents. For spectating fans of the "sport", it's highly entertaining :)
Perfect Day #7: Reon Kadena annouces her first hardcore film.
Xiao Chibai
Apprentice

Unread postby Roy » Sat May 13, 2006 1:42 am

Lu Bu just appeals to people for some reason or another.
For those of you who play or have played nation states, I am the Infamous Lord Watkins.

Ha Ha Ha Ha,
Roy
Changshi

Unread postby GanNing » Sat May 13, 2006 8:19 pm

SaintCel wrote:Well, Lu Bu was not as bad as history describe him. He's just too sentimental over certain things. People tend to worship people that have ability.. like Zhuge Liang for his intelligent etc.. So there's nothing wrong to worship Lu Bu for his fighting ability.

In fact, Lu Bu was truely a hero during that time. Think about it.. what is a hero? A hero is a name that fond by others and fear by many.... Dong Zhuo, a tyrant who was an emperor wannabe even fear him and later fond of him... Cao Cao, who had a very strong influence in the imperial court was fear by him too... Do you think that Cao Cao fear Dong Cheng, who was the uncle of the imperial or even the emperor himself... There are still many example I can say though...

Anyway, here is a clip where Lu Bu meet his stead. (In case some of you didnt watch the show). If you can understand it, you'll see that Lu Bu was the only one that suit Red hare. Anyway, it a cool song though :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sSlovymi7w

Thanks for posting that on here. It was neat to watch.

As for Lu Bu, I just see him as one of the many "What ifs" of the three kingdoms. That's my main interest in him.
GanNing
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium