Jia Yanjiu’s Xiahou Mao Biography (Changsha Educated Press)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Jia Yanjiu’s Xiahou Mao Biography (Changsha Educated Press)

Unread postby James » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:17 am

In today’s Kongming’s Archives update we released some information about the 20+ articles published by the Changsha Educated Press (<i>Changsha Jiaoyu Chubanshe</i>) on the subject of Three Kingdoms officers, and the differences between their appearances in present historical sources and the contrast of said appearances to newly uncovered sources “discovered in China 2002, but only recognized by the government late 2004.”

We also published a <a href="http://kongming.net/novel/kma/realxiahoumao.php">new biography for familiar Three Kingdoms officer Xiahou Mao</a>.

That said, originally authored by Professor Jia Yanjiu (賈琰玖), using articles from issues 214 (Mar. 2005), 215 (Apr. 2005), and 220 (Sep. 2005) of the Changsha Educated Press’ monthly publications (by historians Zhen Gaoxiao [甄高霄] and Huang Yan [黃延]) as sources, I would like to present a <a href="http://kongming.net/novel/kma/realxiahoumao.php">new historical biography for Xiahou Mao (Zixiu)</a>, which has been translated to english by Dr. Mawhinney—for your viewing pleasure, of course! Also, because this is such an exciting new breakthrough, we’ve opened a <a href="/viewtopic.php?t=15023">topic for discussing this biography</a>, along with the <a href="/viewtopic.php?t=15022">articles published by the Changsha Educated Press</a>, in our forum, <a href="/">Scholars of Shen Zhou</a>. If any among you are subscribers of this publication (we only know three people), and would like to help with this translation project, please <a href="http://kongming.net/email/">email us</a>. Enjoy!

This thread has been opened to discuss <a href="http://kongming.net/novel/kma/realxiahoumao.php">this biography</a> and its controversial nature, especially relative to the articles published by the Changsha Educated Press. Some members here have already been given information on this subject, and are currently looking into it, and a few have already been sent text from several of these publications (we’re still trying to get most of them). Hopefully a few people can manage to even come up with the original works. For more information, please see the <a href="/viewtopic.php?t=15023">full text of the update</a>, here at Scholars of Shen Zhou.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Mao Zonggang » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:53 am

You've got to be kidding me...that's a joke biography. I think I've seen something very similar posted on GameFAQs.

Historical? I don't think so.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, better leave the surprise to see how other people react.
"Keep your friends close, but keep your M&M's closer"
~ Sun-Tzu on watching movies
Mao Zonggang
Apprentice

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:36 pm

I'm a strong advocate of this particular biography. Xiahou Mao is clearly a victim of the Shu-bias that has permeated the entire Three Kingdoms scholarly atmosphere as a whole.

As I write this, I'm sure more and more of these biographies are coming to fruition. Perhaps we might see some justice done to those underrated generals like Xiahou Mao. Really, though, I'm surprised it took this long for this biography to see the light of day. I'd thought that it'd been translated a few years ago (at least, someone on GameFAQS had gotten their hands on the translation). Looks like Xiahou Mao will finally get the recognition he deserves regardless.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:54 pm

I have seen a slightly longer version but that one might be too much too soon for some people. Good to see a man of such honour's name be cleared from the mud
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:16 pm

Wow. Whoever wrote this did an excellent job aping the syle English often acquires when translating from Chinese. It's still April 1st stuff and nonsense, but amusing to be sure.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby CaTigeReptile » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:44 pm

I wish there really was some discovery of an abundance of new sources with new information. :(

And James, by any chance does this Dr. Mawhinney sometimes go by the pen name Dr. Eep?
CaTigeReptile
Langzhong

Unread postby BeiManTu » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:39 pm

That was funny. I think the best part was

"I'm Zhang Bao!" *leaps to his death*
BeiManTu
Tyro

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:34 pm

Did Cao Hong really die by cutting his own throat in fear of fighting Zhuge Liang? A hero becomes a coward all of a sudden?

Also; "The only officers left to help Xiahou Mao were Cheng Wu, the mentally challenged strategist"

Ouch!
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
"Street smarts on the level of a Harvard degree."
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhilong » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:38 pm

Oh dear lord. I almost lawlled myself to death just like the Shu soldiers that wailed themselves to death when Zhuge Liang died.

Best AF ever! Bravo! :lol:
"You weaver of mats! You plaiter of straw shoes! You have been smart enough to get possession of a large region and elbow your way into the ranks of the nobles. I was just going to attack you, and now you dare to scheme against me! How I detest you!"
Zhilong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Shang Fong Valley with petrol bombs waiting for yours truly.

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Sat May 13, 2006 8:06 pm

Bah, the bio has been taken down. :( It needs to be put back so more people can marvel at Xiahou Mao's ability!
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium