Who is most talented, Kongming or Sima Yi?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Who is better Kongming or Sima yi?

Kongming
61%
Sima Yi
39%

Total votes : 64

Who is most talented, Kongming or Sima Yi?

Unread postby Dong_Zhou_terror99 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:30 pm

In the game everybody knows that Kongming and Sima Yi have not got along so well. they are both really good but who is better? U decide. Plz state why.

Edit (James): Title changed for clarification and grammar.
U DIE BUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dong_Zhou_terror99
Tyro

Unread postby Shi Tong » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:52 pm

Why? Because Kongming had a better vision (he came up with the idea of 3k in the first place) and he had better strategical and tactical operations against Si Ma Yi.

Kongming was also a very creative person, inventing loads of things for war (Bao Zi for eating, and other contraptions for transport, like the wheelbarrow and other wheeled vehicles.)

I've not heard of Si Ma Yi think of anything like those.
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby iamnick » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:46 pm

better at what? In terms of battles, I think Sima accomplished more, but in terms of politics, they are much closer, with Zhuge coming out ahead imo.
iamnick
Assistant

Unread postby Guan-Yu879 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:05 pm

kongmings way better, he seems to know alot more than sima yi. not only in predictions of the human behavior but also in nature and the stars. and sima yi got tricked a couple of times by kongmings cleverness
Guan-Yu879
Tyro

Unread postby Wo Long » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:10 pm

Kongming.

Even though he's overrated, I think Sima Yi was aswell. He only fought against Kongming in the last 2 northern campaigns aswell, not all of them like the novel. Plus, Kongming usually lost because of lack of grain and other things besides being overpowered or lack of strategies or whatever. Though I give Sima Yi credit because he took to the field alot, but I only hear of Kongming being wheeled around in a carriage the whole time.
Me Blog.
Restore the Ming Dynasty in Beijing!
Wo Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:56 am

It's impossible to answer this question because it is so vague, better in what area? Zhuge Liang was unquestionably better at civil issues, able to govern and keep control of lands that belong to Shu. He was outstanding at that. Sima Yi, AFAIK, wasn't particularly known for his ability to handle civil issues, but I could be wrong. When it comes to the battlefield, it's close but I have to give the edge to Sima Yi. Kongming 'may' have actually been a better strategist, but he never really proved it on many occasions in actual history. I like the fact that Sima Yi went into battle himself also. It's very close and hard to say really.
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
"Street smarts on the level of a Harvard degree."
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jason » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:00 am

What do people mean when they say "Kongming came up with the idea for the three kingdoms."

How? The three kingdoms formed on there own, without his doing. What do they mean by this? Should it be credited to Liu Bei, the Cao family, and the Sun family, as they were the ones who formed each of the three kingdoms.
“I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth, then I ask myself the same question.”

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Unread postby Lord Chuff » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:14 am

Ezekiel wrote:What do people mean when they say "Kongming came up with the idea for the three kingdoms."

How? The three kingdoms formed on there own, without his doing. What do they mean by this? Should it be credited to Liu Bei, the Cao family, and the Sun family, as they were the ones who formed each of the three kingdoms.

Kongming predicted that the three kingdoms would happen before anyone else, when Liu Bei visited him. Also, it was on Kongming's advice that Liu Bei took over Shu, creating the third kingdom.

In answer to the thread, I think Kongming was superior in civil affais and politics, but in terms of stratergy in battle it is harder to tell who was superior. I think they were about even in this area.
Good Lord, it's a cheeseburger!
Lord Chuff
Langzhong

Unread postby GreatWarrior>XiahouDun » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:41 pm

If he'd have taken the throne from Liu Chan, he'd have become what he was fighting to get rid of.

Zhuge Liang was the 'better', as you put it. For a start, Sima Yi praised Kongming many times as being superhuman and his superior. Plus, many people praise Sima Yi for not going out to fight. But that was only on Cao Rui's orders. He went out one time, and fell victim to a ruse made by Kongming. If not for the rain, Sima Yi and his two sons would have died.

I think that Guo Jia was Wei's greatest strategist, and second best of that whole period, obviously behind Zhuge Liang.
GreatWarrior>XiahouDun
Academic

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium