A look into Yuan Shao and Cao Cao’s childhood ‘friendship’

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

A look into Yuan Shao and Cao Cao’s childhood ‘friendship’

Unread postby TheRealWolfman » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:07 am

When i was playing dw5, i saw that it said that Cao Cao and Yuan SHao were child hood freinds, then how did they end up as enemys?

Split from <a href="/viewtopic.php?t=4030">Three kingdoms questions (you ask, we answer)</a>
TheRealWolfman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Chao » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:26 am

Cao Cao and Yuan Shao were originally good friends, serving under He Jin and later on when they fought together against Dong Zhuo. The reason they separated was because they both wanted to control the Emperor. It's just that Cao Cao got there first and Yuan Shao didn't like that. Although Yuan Shao is portrayed as trying to undermine Cao Cao's autocratic control over the Emperor, it is clear that he also had some ulterior motives.
曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!
Cao Chao
Langzhong

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:13 pm

Let's put it this way. Imagine you have every chance to become king of the hill, emperor of China, ruler of the known universe. The only thing standing between you and that is your best pal from kindergarten. And he's been a useless jerk anyway.

Would you say "screw him!" and turn on him? I'd be sorely tempted to. :twisted:

Furthermore, it's not clear from the historical records whether they were truly good friends or not. It's possible that they knew each other, but whether they were friends is debatable. They did serve under He Jin, and Cao Cao did let Yuan Shao take the position of commander-in-chief of the allied forces against Dong Zhuo. But Yuan Shao was a git and didn't manage the campaign well, so it only made sense for Cao to break away and start his own business.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Zhao Yun '87 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:12 pm

You guys are forgetting the small details. (its been awhile so I don't remember them very well either :P) But Cao Cao and Yuan Shao got upset over small things between them. I believe Cao Cao didn't liek the Yuan Shao didn't listen to him against Dong zhuo and Yuan Shao was mad about some appointment Cao Cao didn't take, if I remember correctly. Of course its been a long time so if anyone knows for sure go ahead and correct me.
The problem was I was on fire.
Zhao Yun '87
Master

Unread postby SixWingGryffin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:55 am

Also, another instance was when Yuan Shao got angry at Zhang Miao and told Cao Cao to kill him, but Cao refused.
If you want an enjoyable roleplaying experience, try Si Guo Saga! Regardless of experience level, we'd love to see you there! A great place to try roleplaying for the first time.
SixWingGryffin
Sage

Location: Gamblin' in Havana, I took a little risk. Send lawyers, guns, and money, and get me outta this!

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:07 am

I seem to remember a story about Cao Cao and Yuan Shao attending some wedding - perhaps Yuan Shao's own? - and Cao Cao having his way with the bride and having to flee. That might've had something to do with it.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:35 am

:shock:

Now that you mentioned it, the story does sound familiar. I doubt it's historically accurate, though.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:05 am

Yeah, it seems kind of odd. I'll see if I can find a source.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:21 am

http://empiredividedtk.com/rtk/folk/contest/caocaoshorttales.htm#caocaobridal

Folk story, or at least thats the section it is under
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby James » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:37 pm

Sun Gongli wrote:I seem to remember a story about Cao Cao and Yuan Shao attending some wedding - perhaps Yuan Shao's own? - and Cao Cao having his way with the bride and having to flee. That might've had something to do with it.

Haha… I would love to hear more about that. It seems like Cao Cao has a little bit of a bad streak in him, especially when it comes to being naughty with the ladies that happen to be around him at any given point.

Edit: this is an interesting discussion, and I’m curious as to everything that happened between Yuan Shao and Cao Cao to lead to them being enemies as adults as well. I’ve taken it out of the general questions thread so it has enough room to breathe. :)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium