Sun Quan and Pang Tong

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Sun Quan and Pang Tong

Unread postby Waking Dragon » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:52 am

"Pang Tong was a Taoist like Zhuge Liang, and went by the nickname of “Phoenix Chick.” Because of his hard work and dedication, Pang Tong earned himself a position in the Office of Merit, in Xiang Yang city.

Pang Tong was well known among officials in Jing Zhou and the southlands. He eventually offered his services to Sun Quan, but was not put in any important position because of his ugly appearance .

After the battle of Chi Bi, when Liu Bei occupied the regions of southern Jing Zhou, Zhuge Liang recommended Pang Tong’s service to Liu Bei. Shiyuan provided Liu Bei with three possible solutions for his problems and offered to help carry them out. Liu Xuande showed him much courtesy and appointed Pang Tong as Deputy Master of the Forces and Imperial Corps Commander.

In the sixteenth year of Rebuilt Tranquillity (AD 211), Pang Tong led the invasion of Yi Zhou as Master of Forces. During the battle of Luo Cheng, Pang Tong was hit by an arrow and died. He was title Lord of the Second Rank posthumously by Liu Shan."

www.kongming.net

Sun Quan disliked Pang Tong because of his ugly appearance, but why exactly would he not promote him regardless of his looks? He probably even knew of his capabilites, but is it true that the reason may have been Sun Quan thinking that Pang Tong was disrespecting the memory of his uncle?

It just suprises me that a man of such prestige would not accept a unique strategist because of his 'below standard' physical traits.

-Mo
"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water." r.i.p legend...

Bruce Lee
Waking Dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sima Hui » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:21 am

That isn't actually the case. Sun Quan was "dismayed" at Pang Tong's appearance, but still heard him out. However, it was tantamount to insult when Pang Tong called Zhou Yu "Gongjin", as only close friends are allowed to call each other by their style names, I believe.

Also, Zhou Yu wasn't Sun Quan's uncle, that would have made him Sun Jian's sworn brother, he was actually Sun Ce's sworn brother, who in turn was the brother of Sun Quan.
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Unread postby Waking Dragon » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:03 am

"Historical sources also indicate that Pang Tong was not liked by Sun Quan because he disrespected the memory of Zhou Yu, Sun Quan’s uncle."

www.kongming.net

Then who exactly was Sun Quan's uncle and why did he get angry when he looked at Pang Tong? Was his uncle also not all that handsome as well?
"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water." r.i.p legend...

Bruce Lee
Waking Dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby GuoJia122 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:10 am

Sun Quan's Uncle would have been Sun Jian's brother. But since there was no mentioning of a brother of Sun Jian there is no true verification of an uncle of Sun Quan. And also Pang Tong was rejected for serving Sun Quan because he had said that he was better than Zhou Yu and he said that he never stuck to a particular subject of learning.
If you dash an egg on a rock and it doesn't break what is it?
GuoJia122
Student

Unread postby iamnick » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:31 am

Sun Jian had at least one brother, Sun Jing, who was younger than Jian. He served Ce and Quan.

Lady Wu had a brother, Wu Jing, which would also be Sun Quan's uncle.

Sun Ben was twin brothers with a Sun Jian, but Sun Ce's father Sun Jian was apperently his uncle... :?
iamnick
Assistant

Unread postby Jordan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:22 am

I'm not certain. I thought Sun Ben was Sun Jian's nephew and Sun...something...was Jian's twin. Sun Jing was his younger brother though. Wu Jing was indeed Sun Ce's uncle and a major vassal of Yuan Shu as well. He was the Grand Administrator of one region or another and Liu Yao rebelled against him, also managing to obtain a secure position in Qua and threaten Yuan Shu. Gonglu sent Ce against him and of course Ce kicked Liu Yao's butt. :P

Edit-Sun Jian's twin is Sun Qiang. I just saw it on Kongming's Archives.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord Chuff » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:45 am

Getting back to Pang Tong and Sun Quan, I think that Pang Tong's looks did playa large part in his dismissal. This is another reason why I hat Sun Quan :twisted:
Good Lord, it's a cheeseburger!
Lord Chuff
Langzhong

Unread postby GuoJia122 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:16 am

Well you can't hate Sun Quan but he did reject a great and talented man. Yet Sun Quan was ignorant in that event i must admit but he did many good things like deciding on fighinting against Cao CAo in CHibi.
If you dash an egg on a rock and it doesn't break what is it?
GuoJia122
Student

Unread postby Jason » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:20 am

Ma Chao, Spear of Justice wrote:Getting back to Pang Tong and Sun Quan, I think that Pang Tong's looks did playa large part in his dismissal. This is another reason why I hat Sun Quan :twisted:

You should love Sun Quan. His ignorance lead to a great addition to what I assume if your favorite kingdom, Shu.
“I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth, then I ask myself the same question.”

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Unread postby guanping27 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:03 am

Sun Jian's second brother was Sun Qiang father of Sun Ben
guanping27
Tyro

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium