How Did Xiahou Dun Die?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

How Did Xiahou Dun Die?

Unread postby Walker » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:34 pm

Anyone out there with information on Xiahou Dun, be it when he was born, how he died, or anything else is kindly asked to post here. I've read that biased novel of Luo Guanzhong, yet there is so much else out there! Please help a student out, I'm dying of curiosity!
Psst, KOEI, your Shu bias is showing!
Walker
Student

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:54 pm

He passed away shortly after Cao Cao's death following the execution of Guan Yu. (Historically as well) About his life I'm unsure how worthy he was as a general, although the book records him as a master of the club and spear. He seemed to serve Cao Cao from the very beginning and loyalty is a very important quality of vassals in a feudal society. The Dynasty Tactics scenario where he rebels against Cao Cao may be based on a part of the book where he orders his men to pillage supplies from a city and Yu Jin intervenes, attacking Xiahou Dun and his men. I have little knowledge of Xiahou Dun though. Nice avatar by the way Walker. Obviously a good source is One-Eye's Sanguozhi from Kongming.net.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Walker » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:02 pm

Thanks, I already read the biography, and I found some things, yet not how he died. No one seems to know his birth date either....
Walker
Student

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:30 am

Perhaps it was illness or old age helped by the sad event of Cao Cao's death.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Walker » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:10 pm

I thought asmuch, but why doesn't Luo Guanzhong say that? So many others did, and he chronicled their passing. If I seem a bit obsessive, It's because I am. Perhaps my favorite character in the novel, and he stops appearing before halfway through! :cry:
Walker
Student

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:56 pm

He does, in a small paragraph just after Cao Cao has snuffed it. Xiahou Dun sort of dissapers becuase after losing to Liu Bei, he mostly acted as an adcisor on milatry stuff and a good civil officer.

Xiahou Dun was pretty poor a general(in my view) and his strength was civil affairs, something which the book doesn't concentrate on maybe that explains way
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Cao Chao » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:55 pm

In Sanguo Yanyi, Xiahou Dun, called to Cao Cao's bedside, saw the ghost of the late Empress, whom Mengde had ordered killed. He took ill to bed and never left it...
曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!
Cao Chao
Langzhong

Unread postby Walker » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:27 pm

Hmm, mystery illness...seems kind of common back then. Oh well, thanks all for posting. Any further information, such as date of birth etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Walker
Student

Unread postby Starscream » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:32 am

Not every general's records have their year of birth or death. I think the manner of death would only be recorded if it was something spectacular (assasination, death in battle, peculiar diseases). Therefore, we could only conclude that Xiahou Dun died a normal death (old age perhaps) during the first year of the reign of Cao Pi and was a high ranking officer before he died.

His last recorded military task was to guard against Sun Quan, along with Cao Ren and Zhang Liao, while Cao Cao led his forces back to the capital.
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Walker » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:06 pm

Thank you for your input, it goes to help the knowledge greedy! :)
Walker
Student

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium