Gan Ning to the rescue... but why?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Gan Ning to the rescue... but why?

Unread postby Waking Dragon » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:36 pm

"Soon after Ling Tong and Yue Jing were in a battle. While they were fighting Cao Xiu let fly an arrow that hit Ling Tong’s horse. As Yue Jing pounced forward another arrow was let go and hit Yue Jing right in the face. Ling Tong retreated back to his lines. “The arrow that saved you was shot by Gan Ning,” said Sun Quan. Ling Tong turned to his rival and bowed low. “I could not have supposed you would have rendered me such a service, Sir,” said he to Gan Ning. This episode ended the strife and enmity between the two leaders, who thereafter swore perpetual friendship."

www.kongming.net

Since Gan Ning killed Ling Cao, Ling Tong's father, and Ling Tong attempted to slay Ning for revenge more than once, why did you think Gan Ning shot that arrow right in Yue Jing's face saving Ling Tong?
"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water." r.i.p legend...

Bruce Lee
Waking Dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby REMIX » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:11 pm

Possibly because they were in the same army (a team) or because Sun Quan asked for the both of them to form a truce (which was said when Gan Ning first arrived)
REMIX
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Cao's Guardian » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:13 pm

Because he was aiming for Ling Tong and missed, obviously.
The other argument is that Gan Ning was doing his duty as a Wu officer. See someone in trouble, help them out, sorta thing.
You can also say that Gan Ning wanted to prove that he's good with a bow, since he's not especially renowned for it.
Hungry Dynasty Warriors:
'I eat guys like you for breakfast' - Xu Zhu
'I eat people like that for lunch' - Xiahou Yuan
'Yuan Shao will swallow the North whole' - Cao Cao
'YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND! I ATE SOMEONE'S WIFE!! GAAAH!!!' - Liu Bei
Cao Cao's Guardian
Academic

Location: By Cao Cao's side, fighting off a very angry Ma Chao

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:05 am

Gan Ning was not a backstabber - he only ever betrayed Huang Zu, who had treated Gan Ning horribly and attempted to steal his soldiers. To suggest he was aiming for Ling Tong is a bit preposterous.

Gan Ning simply did what he felt was his duty as an officer of Sun Quan - he saved the life of an ally. Perhaps he also intended to make amends with Ling Tong.

Looking at Gan Ning, we should look at various sources in finding his personality. On one hand, we see a brazen brute, more than eager for the opportunity to swing his sword around. On the other, we see a very civilized and at times sensitive individual, as is evidenced by his civil attitude towards Sun Jiao when Sun Jiao drunkenly insulted him.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Gal Jon » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:30 pm

Mainly because of Sun Quan who was such a good leader that his officers always followed his orders. He was the only one who could tame the crazy army of Wu
Zhang Liao-----------"Oh its more than we could have asked for"

Is it me or does that sound more like a Zhang He saying!!
Gal Jon
Scholar

Unread postby Beauty Warrior Zhou » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:45 pm

Because he was aiming for Ling Tong and missed, obviously.

You must be kidding :lol:

The other argument is that Gan Ning was doing his duty as a Wu officer. See someone in trouble, help them out, sorta thing.

Now, this is a serious oppinion. And I most agree with. :)

You can also say that Gan Ning wanted to prove that he's good with a bow, since he's not especially renowned for it.

Probably... :wink: [/quote]
Beauty Warrior Zhou
Scholar

Unread postby Baiko Arashi » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:21 pm

gan ning was a general first and a person second...he couldnt let a good general die
eh, ill find something witty to put here later.

Nothing do your mortal soul.
Arashi Baiko
Combat: 100
Command: 85
Charisma: 75
Intelligence: 70
Baiko Arashi
Prison Warden of SoSZ

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:51 pm

Could it be possible that the arrow which hit Yue Jing was in fact a stray? Perhaps Sun Quan used the hit of Yue Jing as a means to get Gan Ning and Ling Tong to stop quarreling and fighting. He planned with Gan Ning and they agreed that they would say that Gan Ning shot the arrow. Upon hearing this Ling Tong would give up his strong rivalry against Gan Ning. Historically I'm not so certain of if this is the case however I know that there were many clans within Sun Quan's service that often did not get along with each other. Sun Quan sometimes needed to step in and exert his authority to get his generals to stop fighting.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Cao's Guardian » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:56 pm

You have a good point there, Sun Quan would likely use it as a way of reconciling the two, and I think that argument holds the most weight, so far. Still not sure why Gan Ning did it, other than the fact that it was an enemy, you're meant to kill them. Makes me wonder why they don't do that more often.

And yes I was kidding about him accidently missing Ling Tong :P
Hungry Dynasty Warriors:
'I eat guys like you for breakfast' - Xu Zhu
'I eat people like that for lunch' - Xiahou Yuan
'Yuan Shao will swallow the North whole' - Cao Cao
'YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND! I ATE SOMEONE'S WIFE!! GAAAH!!!' - Liu Bei
Cao Cao's Guardian
Academic

Location: By Cao Cao's side, fighting off a very angry Ma Chao

Unread postby Lord Chuff » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:09 am

It was Ling Tong who had the grudge against Gan Ning, not the other way around. I think Gan Ning wanted to be on friendly terms with Ling Tong as much as Sun Quan wanted thenm to be friends.
Good Lord, it's a cheeseburger!
Lord Chuff
Langzhong

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium