Kongming's Archives Development/Encyclopedia Project

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Kongming's Archives Development/Encyclopedia Project

Unread postby James » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:37 pm

DragonAtma wrote:You can always set it to filter whether we're going with officers certainly active in period X and officers who may or may not have been active during period X.

This would be the ideal solution, but it means another data point in the encyclopedia. Basically, you would have your lifespan, but another date range aside to describe the 'approximated active period' which would be referenced by this search feature.

DragonAtma wrote:And it may be best to do without ü; sure, for some reason scholars like to use it, but then there's a the pain of wondering whether an officer is Lu Bu or Lü Bu (or Lu Bü or Lü Bü!).

I think it would be great to support umlauts. That's why I'm surprised they are not supported. I'm wondering if maybe support was broken somewhere along the line, because it is the sort of thing I would have wanted to support originally. And indeed, I thought it was.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby capnnerefir » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:25 am

There is a descrepancy with this page: http://kongming.net/encyclopedia/Zhuge-Xing
The url gives the name of the officer in question as "Zhuge Xing" but the page is for Zhuge Jing.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:35 pm

capnnerefir wrote:There is a descrepancy with this page: http://kongming.net/encyclopedia/Zhuge-Xing
The url gives the name of the officer in question as "Zhuge Xing" but the page is for Zhuge Jing.

Okay, so here we have a 'Zhuge Jing' in the novel chapter 111 and a 'Zhuge Xing' in the novel chapter 120. Some of these variations carry over from the version published at three kingdoms.com where less important characters with similar names were given incorrect Romanizations to differentiate, and that seems to be what has happened here.

Except I'm not sure they're separate characters.

I looked them up in a few Chinese versions of the novel online and 諸葛靚 (Zhuge Jing) shows up properly in chapter 120, but the Zhuge Jing in chapter 111 showed up with an unsupported Unicode character for their given name in 111. Searching in another version the 111 is also listed as 諸葛靚. So it looks like the 'Zhuge Xing' needs to be Zhuge Jing, but what would help is to find out if these are separate characters or the same.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Qu Hui » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:25 am

James, in addition to the figures mentioned in my previous post, Qi Ji $2446 and $2331 are the same individual.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Chao » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:55 pm

Hao Meng and He Meng are the same person.

Discussion from Quick translation, hanzi, and minor information assistance:
TigerTally wrote:For some reason this guy sound like Hao Meng 郝萌.

http://kongming.net/encyclopedia/Hao-Meng
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hao_Meng

It was also him who "duel[ed] with Zhang Fei" and got "executed by Cao Cao" in the novel and who "rebelled against Lü Bu" and in the history. He was actually beheaded by Gao Shun instead of Cao Xing though. In other word, this is another mistake... :P

Cao Chao wrote:He Meng is a mis-transliteration. It should be Hao Meng (if you look at Chinese version, the characters are 郝萌).
曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!
Cao Chao
Langzhong

Unread postby Qu Hui » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:39 pm

Duplicate reporting: Mijia $2432 and $2475 are duplicates, as are Lü You $1822 and $2418 and Fu Jia $2613 and Fu Gu $0162.

Also, re: the Dynasty Warriors issue mentioned earlier, maybe doing what was done for the mystics (giving them a checkbox in their development profile) would be a good idea?
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:42 pm

I'm going to go through and smite the duplicates soon. :)

Qu Hui wrote:Also, re: the Dynasty Warriors issue mentioned earlier, maybe doing what was done for the mystics (giving them a checkbox in their development profile) would be a good idea?

That's the plan. Just need to finish a little project I'm working on for... work. :/
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby plunged » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:12 pm

plunged
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TigerTally » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:46 pm

Yes, Sui is the correct pronunciation for his surname, but the first entry Gui Yuanjin has the correct chapter number for his appearance in RoTK (30).
TigerTally
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:43 pm

TigerTally wrote:Yes, Sui is the correct pronunciation for his surname, but the first entry Gui Yuanjin has the correct chapter number for his appearance in RoTK (30).

All fixed up.

I did get you access to the Encyclopedia, right? I'm trying to remember if I followed through or went about being a knucklehead. :)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium