Has Lu Bu ever lost a duel?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Has Lu Bu ever lost a duel?

Unread postby Lou Bert » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:53 am

Has Lu Bu ever lost a duel Historically?

Because at Hu lao Guan it said Lu bu fought Liu Bei,Guan Yu and Zhang Fei at the same time but in the end he retreated from the battle does this count as a loss for Lu Bu or not.
Lou Bert
Student

Unread postby Raven » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:14 pm

i wouldnt count retreating as a loss y when u are battling the God of war,the leader of shu and zhange fei
Last edited by Raven on Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raven
Apprentice

Re: Lu Bu lost a deul?

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:16 pm

Lou Bert wrote:Has Lu Bu ever lost a duel Historically?

Because at Hu lao Guan it said Lu bu fought Liu Bei,Guan Yu and Zhang Fei at the same time but in the end he retreated from the battle does this count as a loss for Lu Bu or not.

I belive he lost to Yu Jin historically. Also the 3 vs 1 duel isn't historical so doesn't count as such.

Anyway if the 3-1 thing did exsist, its a loss techniclly though I prefer to call it a draw
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Gal Jon » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:33 pm

I was unaware he dueled anyone. I read his bio a while ago and I cant remember him having a fight with anyone??
Zhang Liao-----------"Oh its more than we could have asked for"

Is it me or does that sound more like a Zhang He saying!!
Gal Jon
Scholar

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:47 pm

Historically Lu Bu fought against Guo Si in a duel and won. The fight with Yu Jin didn't happen. That bio also claims that Yu Jin captured Lu Bu as well and we know that is false. Lu Bu surrendered on his own. So Lu Bu only fought in one duel and won.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Subotai » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:10 pm

wow, so how the hell did he get such a badass reputation?
"If your sword is sharp, then mine is never dull!"

Yuan Shao to the rebel Tung Cho.
Subotai
Langzhong

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:32 pm

Subotai wrote:wow, so how the hell did he get such a badass reputation?

He was simply a character that was beefed up for the novel to make the Shu characters look better. The fact that he had defeated Cao Cao in a battle or two and gave him such a hard time was a plus. Also he betrayed quite a few people in his quest for power (many people betrayed the people they were following but few did it 3 times killing 2) He was a talented general who was defeated by Cao Cao. He won many battles lost almost as many and was a good character to make seem more then he was. In his bio it does however mention that he was known to be the strongest man in the Si Li provience while he was serving Dong Zhuo. I guess LGZ could have taken that and used that to imply that he would be great in duels. Also in history Duels almost never happened. Heck Lu Bu is the only person that i know of to Duel and win the duel. The only other duel i know of was Sun Ce and Taishi Ci and that ended as a draw.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby REMIX » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:22 pm

I wouldn't call the 3 on 1 fight a draw or a loss when he retreated. It was simply unfair to have 3 people fight against one.
REMIX
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Beauty Warrior Zhou » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:44 am

Also in history Duels almost never happened. Heck Lu Bu is the only person that i know of to Duel and win the duel. The only other duel i know of was Sun Ce and Taishi Ci and that ended as a draw

Zhao Yun vs Li Dian and Zhao Yun vs Xiahou Dun did have duel in history, as part of Xu Shu and ZL's strategy in batttle of Xin Ye.
Lu Bu never lost in duel, but lost many batttle because of lacked in strategy. I don't consider he was lost to the three brothers.
If you fight for your right,
you will fight till you die
If you fight for your responsibility
you will end with happiness
-Sutjipto Subeno-
Beauty Warrior Zhou
Scholar

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:32 pm

Zhao Yun vs Li Dian and Zhao Yun vs Xiahou Dun did have duel in history, as part of Xu Shu and ZL's strategy in batttle of Xin Ye.

Xiahou Dun got thrashed by Liu Bei's plan, he didn't duel Zhao Yun(if I'm thinking of the right battle). In none of the three bio's is a duel mentioned. Also given that Zhuge Liang's first milatry anything was taking of Shu, I'm guessing your using the novel?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium