Cao Cao and Zhuge Liang

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Who's the true loyal servant?

Cao Cao
24%
Zhuge Liang
76%

Total votes : 33

Unread postby TheRealWolfman » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:29 pm

Ah, did the wife try to do something? So bascially Cao Cao acted as Dong Zhuo toward the emperor.
TheRealWolfman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Hubsta » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:08 pm

Personally I don't think Cao had an inch of loyalty in him. I think he acted only for himself, and simply used the emporer as a means of getting what he wanted.
"Religion, in which the being reveres one who cannot be proved to exist and lives within boundaries set by people on the same plane, is controlled thinking just as having one’s thoughts forbidden by an absolute ruler is."
Hubsta
Scholar

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:22 am

I think that Cao Cao's main concern was unifying the land. He did not care for either titles or loyalty to the Han - he was a pragmatist, and he did what would be most beneficial for his goal. He didn't take the Imperial title because it would have done him no good - it would have only made Sun Quan and Liu Bei both oppose him far more fervently than before. I wouldn't say he was selfish for not being totally loyal to the Han - in my opinion, the Han had pretty much run its course (though Sun Ce was right when he said that Emperor Xian had committed no crime).
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Shadowlink » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:53 pm

Cao Cao was kind of loyal.. he didnt overthrow the han dynasty... his son Cao pi did.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium