Lu Bu's Might

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Lu Bu's Might

Unread postby Lou Bert » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:58 am

was Lu Bu called the mightist warrior after hu lao gate or was he known as the mightist before hu lao gate?
Lou Bert
Student

Unread postby Elitemsh » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:44 am

Hu Lao Gate was not very significant, it did not enhance Lu Bu's name at all. It is very exagerrated in the novel, it cannot have been significant since it is not even mentioned in Lu Bu's SGZ bio. Lu Bu achieved fame mostly through his battles with Cao Cao and Liu Bei. Lu Bu opposed Cao Cao on a number of occassions that alone was enough to spread legacies of might. Lu Bu actually managed to defeat Cao Cao on one occassion through might.
''I've never fought for anyone but myself. I've got no purpose in life. No ultimate goal. It's only when I'm cheating death on the battlefield. The only time I feel truly alive.'' ~Solid Snake
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:47 pm

He was known as a strong warrior but not sure if before or after Hu Luo Gate. In the novel his reputation as a great warrior seems to be well known by everyone beforehand
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Baiko Arashi » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:16 pm

lu Bu was very strong, but as strong as he was that is how stupid he was

I can think of one occasion were in a battle with cao cao he asked cao cao himself were cao cao was, cao cao pointed him in the other direction of ocurse... it was like in a cartoon with bugsbunny with elmer fudd or something
Baiko Arashi
Prison Warden of SoSZ

Unread postby goldenchild » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:34 pm

lu bu first made a name for himself right before he fought liu bei, guan yu, and zhang fei. kinda like hua xiong did. killing any and every general that stood in front of him. only hua xiong was killed in seconds when he fought guan yu. lu bu on the other hand, never lost a one on one bout and he was ruthless.
goldenchild
Assistant

Unread postby Lord Cao Mengde » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:34 pm

Baiko Arashi wrote:lu Bu was very strong, but as strong as he was that is how stupid he was

I can think of one occasion were in a battle with cao cao he asked cao cao himself were cao cao was, cao cao pointed him in the other direction of ocurse... it was like in a cartoon with bugsbunny with elmer fudd or something

I remember eading that and nearly falling of my chair laughing. Didn't he tap Cao Cao's helmet with his halberd or something and Cao Cao pointed at some random cavalry solider
我寧可背叛整個世界, 也不願世界背叛我 - 曹操
Lord Cao Mengde
Assistant

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:59 pm

goldenchild wrote:lu bu first made a name for himself right before he fought liu bei, guan yu, and zhang fei. kinda like hua xiong did. killing any and every general that stood in front of him. only hua xiong was killed in seconds when he fought guan yu. lu bu on the other hand, never lost a one on one bout and he was ruthless.

Hua Xiong was killed by Guan Yu?
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
"Street smarts on the level of a Harvard degree."
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby kvn_m » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:04 pm

Heheh. In the novel at least. Historically Hua Xiong was killed by Sun Jian.

Anyway, I'm also curious. How did Lu Bu came to be known as this damn strong dude?

In the novel, the first time he was acknowledged was when Dong Zhuo was awed by his presence. Only until he managed to tackle Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei alone (that didn't happen historically) that his prowess sort of escalated.

So how did Lu Bu came to be known as this damn strong individual? I heard that he's not of the native.
"You are no fool who gives what you cannot keep, and gain what you cannot lose."
kvn_m
Master

Unread postby Mikhail » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:49 pm

I wonder... Dian Wei was also said to be really strong. If Dian Wei and Lu Bu had fought, who would have won?
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Hawker » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:24 am

I'm not suprised that someone that strong could exist back then,there was usually one beast out of every thousand soldiers.

And you have to remember humans were much stronger back then.So a regular soldier back then might be the Arnold Schwarzenegger of modern times.You see as humans continue to evolve into more intelligent beings our bodies become weaker.

So I'm not really suprise when people back then could do all these amazing things.And I'm not suprised that a beast like Lu Bu could exist back then either.
Hawker
Apprentice

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium