Guan Ping

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Who is Guan Ping?

A Shu General who could've been important to Shu
78%
Who the hell is he?
No votes
I don't care about him
11%
Haha, he got killed with his father
11%

Total votes : 9

Guan Ping

Unread postby ShuWeiYan » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:46 pm

Because Guan Ping is one of my favorite generals in the TK era, so I decided to make a topic about him.

Guan Ping (? - 219)

Guan Ping was the younger son of Guan Ding and he trained in martial arts. One day, Liu Bei met Guan Ding and Ding asked Liu Bei to take Ping with him and Bei asked Guan Yu to adopt Ping because of their same last name. (According to historical records, Guan Ping was real son of Guan Yu). Guan Ping and Guan Yu fought mostly alongside with Guan Yu. When Zhuge Liang came along to serve Liu Bei and Xiahou Dun was ordered to sent an army to attack Liu Bei, Zhuge Liang sent Liu Feng, Liu Bei's adopted son, and Ping to set up a fire attack at Bo Wan Po and Zhao Yun to lure Dun to the fire attack site. They successfully defeated Xiahou Dun's army at Bo Wan Po and later on, Cao Cao led his army to attack Liu Bei, seeing him as a real threat, and he obtained Jing when Liu Zong sent a messenger that he surrendered Jing to Cao Cao. Bei attempted to escaped to Xiang Yang first to fight back the coming Cao Cao's army, but upon hearing that Liu Zong has surrendered to Cao Cao, Bei has no choice but to go to Jiang Ling and later on Jiang Xia. After allying with Sun Quan a successful victory at Chi Bi, Zhuge Liang ordered Zhang Fei and Zhao Yun to ambush at Hua Rong to attack the fleeing Cao Cao and his army and Guan Yu under the condition if Yu doesn't kill Cao Cao, he would be punished. Guan Yu did release Cao Cao due to his obligation, but under the plea of Liu Bei and Zhang Fei, Guan Yu was spared of his punishment.
Okay, back to Guan Ping. Ping was sent to guard the Jing Province along with his father after obtaining it. At the year 219, Yu was ordered to attack Cao Ren at Fan Castle. The water attack succeeded. During the battle, he and Pang De had duel for about 30 bouts and tied. One time, Guan Yu was shot by a poisonous arrow and Ping had met Hua Tou, who passed by. Ping invited him to see Guan Yu and healed Yu by scraping off the poison part of his arm. Many were so disgusted that even some had vomit from it. Yu's arm was healed eventually and continued on witht he attack. But however, because of Wu's sneak attack the the Jing Province from behind, Shu was defeated and was isolated at Mai Cheng. Guan Ping was captured along with his father by Wu's ambush and they were both executed at the year 219.

My opinion about Guan Ping: He was a great general who could've become one of Shu's most important generals.
What's that thing called when a guy is gay for a girl?
-Homer Simpson
ShuWeiYan
Langzhong

Unread postby Mikhail » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:54 pm

I thought so that he would become an important general, since he would have probably had to fill Yunchang's shoes after he died.
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Kuan P'ing » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:27 am

Poor... Poor... Ping. He's my favorite officer, mostly because he is so underated.
Kuan P'ing
Changshi

Unread postby Shi Tong » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:55 am

Guan Ping was a great friend to his father, and he was a capable fighter as well. Ping wouldn't have been able to inspire the same fear his father did, but he would have been a great general, maybe the same as his name sake, Wang Ping. (I rate Wang Ping and Guan Ping near the same)
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:41 am

I liked Guan Ping in the novel, he was quite clever and one of those "what if he lived longer" type guys
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Elitemsh » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:24 am

Guan Ping is a loyal officer who served his father and the shu kingdom well. He was effective at leading a small contigent of troops but not particuarly a general leading large operations. I would compare him to Liu Feng, they seem quite similar, except for Liu Feng being a traitor at least to Guan Yu.
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gal Jon » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:03 pm

If Jingzou was lost for example but he had exscaped, the novel would have been so must better. Imagine Liah hua, zhou cang, guan xing, guan ping and guan suo all out to destroy Wu, just imagine how much blood would be shed.
Zhang Liao-----------"Oh its more than we could have asked for"

Is it me or does that sound more like a Zhang He saying!!
Gal Jon
Scholar

Unread postby Shi Tong » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:31 pm

That's mighty bloodthursty of you!! :wink:

I must say that if both Guan Yu and Guan Ping had escaped the death sentance then they would have shown Wu where to go, that would have looked marvelous in the novel, and they may have had even more impact in historical terms (I can just see Guan Yu getting hold of Mi Feng.. :lol: :lol: )
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby ShuWeiYan » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:53 pm

Gal Jon wrote:If Jingzou was lost for example but he had exscaped, the novel would have been so must better. Imagine Liah hua, zhou cang, guan xing, guan ping and guan suo all out to destroy Wu, just imagine how much blood would be shed.

Look, there could've been another family vengance, this time being the Guan family vengance on Wu led but either Liu Bei or Guan Ping.
What's that thing called when a guy is gay for a girl?
-Homer Simpson
ShuWeiYan
Langzhong

Unread postby Mikhail » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:20 pm

My guess is that the result would still be the same. If Liu Bei would attack Wu, even if Ping was there, he would have still suffered against the fire attack at Yi Ling
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium