Should Master Kongming have joined Liu Bei?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Should Master Kongming have joined Liu Bei?

Unread postby Callum » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:43 am

Were his talents wasted on Liu Bei? Could he have done better if he'd joined Cao or Sun?
Please visit my RPG,
The Realm Of Destiny 2
New and unique rules! More characters! More forces! And much more!
Callum
Tyro

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:19 am

He would never have control of an army but I belive he would rise quite high under Wei or Wu, just not as high as he did in Shu-Han.

I would be suprised if there isn't a thread like this in the thread list
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Mistelten » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:05 am

Would he have joined them though? His greatest ambition was to live a quiet life. Meeting with Liu Bei brought massive change into both of their lives.

I wonder how many excellent men have lived in times that did not require them, or that simply did not use them, and how close was Zhuge Liang to being one of them......
Mistelten
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Fei Yi » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:03 pm

In history he wasn't quite the militairy genius he's made to be in the novel. However he was a political genius and under Wu or Wei he could have ranked high among the Civil officers. The militairy position he had under Shu-Han would be lost though....
All we need to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us... "Gandalf the grey"

Death smiles to us all...., all we can do is smile back... "Marcus Aurelius"

Freedom lies behind the boundries we've created ourselves...
Fei Yi
Sage

Unread postby REMIX » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:05 pm

i doubt zhuge liang would have joined neither wei nor wu anyways. He only joined shu because he felt honored to be visited 3 times by the shu ruler himself.
But if he were to join wu or wei (somehow :roll: ) he would have probably received a high rank after being recommended by officials....like so many others do :roll:
REMIX
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shi Tong » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:06 pm

I think a lot of Kongming, and although everybody says he wasn't a military genius, I would dispute that by saying that he did co-write "Mastering the Art of War" If you're a bit of a dunce at tactics then you'd probably not be able to write this book.

Kongming might have joined Wu because his brother worked there, but he liked Liu, and that's why he joined Shu.

I feel that Kongming would probably been an adviser & politician in any other country, but probably would have worked on military plans (like Si MaYi.)
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby barbarosso » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:56 pm

EM if he joined Cao i think we woulda seen a beautiful friends ship between Cao and Kongming but i can't see Cao going three times to zhuge's hut.

If he joined Sun i see Lui being defeat in a matter weeks, rather than years, maybe even working for Sun Quan instead . :lol:
"The fine line before, arrogance and confitdence is bearly visible when we hold our heads up high" Me thats who !
barbarosso
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:47 pm

Shi Tong wrote:I think a lot of Kongming, and although everybody says he wasn't a military genius, I would dispute that by saying that he did co-write "Mastering the Art of War" If you're a bit of a dunce at tactics then you'd probably not be able to write this book.

Ma Su was a great student of the Art of War but writing a book on tactics does not make one capable enough. Who he write it with?

Zhuge Liang may have lived his life in solitude and thus not helped his country or become known butCao Caon wasn't above force hiring.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:47 pm

If Zhuge Liang joined Wei he would have most likely became a governer of a provience. Cao Cao wouldn't neglect Zhuge Liang's administrative abilities. Sun Quan would probably have him as an advisor around the same rank as Zhuge Jin. i think Zhuge Liang would have done a fine job advising Sun Quan. Perhaps he could have given him better advise then a certain other advisor who shall remain nameless.
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby EmperorWei » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:04 am

"I do not fear an army of lions being led by a sheep,but do I fear an army of sheep led by a lion"-Alexander the Great
EmperorWei
Master

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium