Historical Lu Meng

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Historical Lu Meng

Unread postby Zijing » Sat May 28, 2005 12:40 am

I have heard that Historically it was illegal under some dynasties in China to portray Lu Meng in a good light. Was this true? I don't understand the reasoning behind this... :?
Strategy and Might make a good army
Caring and Humor make a good person
User avatar
Zijing
Initiate
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:28 am
Location: Wonderland

Unread postby Shi Tong » Sat May 28, 2005 12:55 am

I would have thought that it's to do with Lu Meng's killing of Guan Yu. After Guan became very well known in the SGYY books written by LGZ I think that Lu Meng was seen in a terrible light, so I wouldn't be surprised if what you said is true!
I think it would have been in the Yuan dynasty, since it was the Yuan's who were Mongolian kings who perpousfully promoted the Han line (Liu Bei, Guan Yu, Zhang Fei and all the Shu area) in order to succor support from the more Southern regions who were more rebellious to the Mongolian rule.
User avatar
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 4034
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: London, England

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Sat May 28, 2005 4:27 am

Lu Meng was actually portrayed with the face of a merchant (considered the lowest class of society) in many of the operas. A man who lost due to personal faults was made into a deity, whereas a man who worked himself to death for the sake of his lord was made into a scapegoat. One of history's great travesties, if you ask me, regardless of which kingdom you support.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
User avatar
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants
 
Posts: 4058
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:56 am
Location: Spies destroy everything I create!

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sat May 28, 2005 4:38 am

Sun Gongli wrote:Lu Meng was actually portrayed with the face of a merchant (considered the lowest class of society) in many of the operas. A man who lost due to personal faults was made into a deity, whereas a man who worked himself to death for the sake of his lord was made into a scapegoat. One of history's great travesties, if you ask me, regardless of which kingdom you support.


It is true. Lu Meng did deserve more respect then that. While his large scale stratagy was horrible he was extreemly talented in battlefield stratagy. His taking of Jing was as impressive as Liu Bei's taking of Jing. Though not as good as Cao Cao's taking of Jing as he did it without any battles. Lu Meng's stratagy in defeating Cao Ren in Jiang Ling was great and it is too bad that Zhou Yu gets the credit for that battle since it was Lu Meng's talents which won it.
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 2525
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:13 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Unread postby Zijing » Sat May 28, 2005 5:17 am

So that bit I heard was actually true? Historical re-enactments portrayed Lu Meng as being inferior to his true worth simply because he killed Guan Yu? That seems unfair.
Strategy and Might make a good army
Caring and Humor make a good person
User avatar
Zijing
Initiate
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:28 am
Location: Wonderland

Unread postby Mike » Sat May 28, 2005 5:19 am

Zijing wrote:So that bit I heard was actually true? Historical re-enactments portrayed Lu Meng as being inferior to his true worth simply because he killed Guan Yu? That seems unfair.

A whole thread dedicated to the guy who killed the greatest Shu general...bah...I spit on your grave Lu Meng.

Well...he killed the God of War. Seeing as Guan Yu is still worshipped today, that is why Lu Meng is seen as the bad-guy.
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 2829
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:54 am

Unread postby Zijing » Sat May 28, 2005 5:29 am

The Comic Book Hero wrote:
Zijing wrote:So that bit I heard was actually true? Historical re-enactments portrayed Lu Meng as being inferior to his true worth simply because he killed Guan Yu? That seems unfair.

A whole thread dedicated to the guy who killed the greatest Shu general...bah...I spit on your grave Lu Meng.

Well...he killed the God of War. Seeing as Guan Yu is still worshipped today, that is why Lu Meng is seen as the bad-guy.
Well, he's not seen as a bad guy anymore actually. He's a good guy under more open thought.
Strategy and Might make a good army
Caring and Humor make a good person
User avatar
Zijing
Initiate
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:28 am
Location: Wonderland

Unread postby Mike » Sat May 28, 2005 5:44 am

Zijing wrote:Well, he's not seen as a bad guy anymore actually. He's a good guy under more open thought.

Depends who you are. I for one hate his guts. I love laying the smackdown on him when I play DW.
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 2829
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:54 am

Unread postby ZhangLiao85 » Sat May 28, 2005 5:45 am

It really depends on your view if he's a good guy or a bad guy. For what I can say about Lu Meng he's a pretty good Wu general, a better general than Guan Yu in my view. Guan Yu was just a small minded arrogent bastard who's overrated by LGZ in the novel.
月明星稀,乌鹊南飞,绕树三匝,何枝可依?
ZhangLiao85
Initiate
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 2:22 am
Location: Defending He Fei from Dong Wu!

Unread postby Zijing » Sat May 28, 2005 5:50 am

The Comic Book Hero wrote:
Zijing wrote:Well, he's not seen as a bad guy anymore actually. He's a good guy under more open thought.

Depends who you are. I for one hate his guts. I love laying the smackdown on him when I play DW.
As long as you don't start calling Wu a bunch of dogs and quoting Fu Tong and bits about how "having no information that something didn't happen doesn't mean it didn't happen!" then I will defend your right to say what you believe, even if I disagree with what you say, hehe.
Strategy and Might make a good army
Caring and Humor make a good person
User avatar
Zijing
Initiate
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:28 am
Location: Wonderland

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved