In the comic Ravages of Time, Book I, whom did Sima Yi kill?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

In the comic Ravages of Time, Book I, whom did Sima Yi kill?

Unread postby LonelyStrategist » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:24 pm

Spoilers ahead. And apologies if this is the wrong forum. I have no idea where to post this.
At the beginning in the comic Ravages of Time (Feng Huo Liao Yuan), who is this Xu Ling which Sima Yi plotted to kill? I never heard of him. Is him a new addition?
LonelyStrategist
Apprentice

Unread postby Lu Kang » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:32 pm

RoT takes many liberties to make up new characters and to alter the events of the time period. The basic ideas of the time period stay the same but the real story is more of a "sub-plot" to the Three Kingdoms blown up for the whole comic. But it's almost all fiction.
无口为天,有口为吴,君临万邦,天子之都
Historical Post
Lu Kang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:16 am

Is this an online comic or one only able to buy in Japan or America?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby LonelyStrategist » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:47 pm

The comic is only avaliable in Mandarin, unfortunately, by a Taiwanese artist. I highly doubt it will be translated to English...damn it too, for it does have a lot of interesting twists that mess with our pre-concieved concepts of characters like Lu Bu, Dong Zhuo, Sima Yi and Liu Bei. (Especially Liu Bei...you can't believe the things he do in the comic!)

Alas.

Thanks anyway! I have been checking up all the Kongming.net's biographies for that 'greatest advisors of all time.' Guess Yuan Fang is also a new addition?
LonelyStrategist
Apprentice

Unread postby Lu Kang » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:00 pm

A group of Scanlaters are translating at Fifay.net . They are already up to the 34th comic. They are doing a might fine job at it too.

I recommend anyone who would like to help out to try adn join their team and assist them bringing new comics out to public.
无口为天,有口为吴,君临万邦,天子之都
Historical Post
Lu Kang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby qiu xue » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:31 pm

I'm surprised that there's a post for this here. The Ravages of Time (Huo Feng Liao Yuan) is really a great manhua, but I expect a lot of hardcore RTK might have some issues with it.

Mr. Chen Mou takes a lot of liberties with the history and characters. 3K fans might be very surprised with some of the portrayals. Lu Bu, for instance, is not the usual arrogant muscle-brained moron, but in fact and frighteningly intelligent and strong warrior with some loyalty issues. Then there's Diao Chan. A lot of Diao Chan fans might be kind of be ticked at the way she is portrayed.

Anyway, almost everyone in the manhua is very intelligent -- which is a far cry from the Japanese shonen manga where in main character is usually isn't the brightest crayon in the box.

I would recommend this manhua to anyone. RTK fans might enjoy it more since a lot of the names will be familiar -- I knew absolutely nothing about Chinese history when I first read it and I was confused! The first volume is a bit confusing, but it gets better from then on. Volume four and five are especially exciting. :D

Note: Liaoyuan Huo, the leader of the Handicapped Warriors, is actually a historical character. Or shall I say one of his many disguises will eventually evolve into a historical charcter. It's a surprising twist considering who he's employed with. If you want a clue as to who that is -- read volume four. :wink:

LonelyStrategist wrote:At the beginning in the comic Ravages of Time (Feng Huo Liao Yuan), who is this Xu Ling which Sima Yi plotted to kill? I never heard of him. Is him a new addition?

Xu Lin is, I believe, a fictional character. I think the whole point of having him in the manhua is to give Lu Bu a reason to go on a death-avenging killing spree.

LonelyStrategist wrote:Thanks anyway! I have been checking up all the Kongming.net's biographies for that 'greatest advisors of all time.' Guess Yuan Fang is also a new addition?

Yuan Fang is another fictional character. It's through him that we see how incredibly messed up the Yuan family is.

Lu Kang wrote:A group of Scanlaters are translating at Fifay.net . They are already up to the 34th comic. They are doing a might fine job at it too.

The project is actually being switched to a new group -- the same translators/editors, but under a different group name -- Remnant Warriors. They are scanlating volumes 6 and up.
Last edited by qiu xue on Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
qiu xue
Tyro

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:47 pm

Does anyone have a link to a Chinese bookstore site that would carry this?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby qiu xue » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:56 pm

I think most Chinese books stores do, but the only one I know of is YesAsia. You can also search online for it's title: 火鳳燎原.

There are also a lot of Chinese sites with scans up as well, if you just wanted to take a peek at it (and can read Chinese :D ).
qiu xue
Tyro

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:09 pm

Thanks for the link!

There are just 20 volumes right? (But still... $140 for the whole set... :|")

(*puts another item down on the graduation present list*)
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby qiu xue » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:21 pm

I think Chen Mou just started on volume 21, but I don't think volume 20 has been released in it's collected form yet.

I would really like to buy the volumes, but I've got no money and I don't understand Chinese so I'm not sure how I'd be able to order them. Too bad the Asian population in my city is so darn small. I guess I'll have to track down some Chinese bookstores when I go to visit California again. I've been told that the series can be found in SF's Chinatown.

Right now I'm surviving on the raw scans and the help of kind people willing to translate the interesting parts.

BTW, I forgot to mention this before in my post of "selling-points" for this manhua. RTK fans might be intrigued by the Eight Geniuses of Water-Mirror (Shui Jing). They are eight highly sought after "genius" advisors trained by Shui Jing. The relationships and differing ideologies between the Geniuses are interesting to see. Only seven of the eight have been revealed in the series so far: Yuan Fang (fictional), Xun Yu, Jia Xu, Guo Jia, Zhuo Yu, Zhuge Liang and Pang Tong.
qiu xue
Tyro

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium