SGZ Biography of Cao Cao

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Cloud Strife » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:10 pm

http://www.3kingdoms.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9127
Uh..look at the first bio in the Wei section..
Hey guys, "Breaking Upwards" has been released at the IFC Center in New York! And at Laemmle Sunset 5 in LA! Come see it this weekend, April 10th-11th, to help it go nationwide! Thanks! http://www.breakingupwards.com
Cloud Strife
Scholar

Unread postby Fei Yi » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:06 pm

Cloud Strife wrote:http://www.3kingdoms.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9127

It seems someone beat you to the finish.... :? Still, I would like to say I admire what you have done so far Adrian.
All we need to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us... "Gandalf the grey"

Death smiles to us all...., all we can do is smile back... "Marcus Aurelius"

Freedom lies behind the boundries we've created ourselves...
Fei Yi
Sage

Unread postby James » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:05 am

There is much to be said for a biography which is publicly accessible, and which can actually be searched and copied from. These are also factors that were cut out of that other version in the name of copy protection, or at least it would seem they are. They also only post that biography in that forum, as a PDF, which makes it very hard for people to find it unless they know the community.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:08 am

I for one think it's wonderful that Adrian is doing his own translation of Cao Cao's biography. As should be obvious by now, translations can be very different from one another, so it's not like a new translation of something that has already been done has no value. This bio's value is only increased by the fact that LYT is using it as a learning experience.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby James » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:22 am

I was going to add that. Having two translations is very interesting in topics of discussion, and the different ways in which a single element can be presented spark a great deal of debate in some cases. Additionally, the research that follows educates all of us. It would be silly to say that having one translation, however good, should mean there is no reason to translate another.

And translating Cao Cao must certainly be a great way to learn.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:15 am

Cloud Strife wrote:http://www.3kingdoms.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9127

Yes, the folks over at 3k.net do have a complete translation of the biography, and I certainly admire the hard work and skill needed to translate the entire thing, which I have yet to do, since it does take up an entire scroll in the SGZ. I might add that in doing a translation - and therefore reading it in its original language - you learn much more and gain more insight into that which is being written about than in simply reading a translation, and I'm sure they would agree. For that reason alone I am glad I have decided to translate these biographies - and even if beaten to the punch by someone else I do intend to complete the entire SGZ sometime - for just as I found to be the case with Ancient Greek, to read the original is the best way. If, in the process, something of value comes about in the form of translations then that is simply an additional bonus.

James wrote:And translating Cao Cao must certainly be a great way to learn.

Oh, it is. Both my admiration and my dislike for him have grown tremendously during the course of this translation.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:39 am

If Moss Roberts thought, "Hey, someone's done a translation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms already!" and not do his translation, we'd all have to learn Wade-Giles spelling.

I personally have found it useful to consult various different translations of SGZ in modern Chinese as well as in English when I'm writing about RTK. Different translators have different approaches to problematic passages, and having more than one person's opinion on the matter is often beneficial.

LYT's project has Lady Wu's Seal of Approval:

"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:43 pm

Errors:

This post will be used and updated as I make changes to the text.

- Inspector of Yi province Song has been changed to Inspector of Yi province Zhong Gao.
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby SYL » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:59 pm

Most excellent! The one biography I've really wanted for some time was Cao Cao's (if only because it contains a wealth of information about so many other events in the period), so I applaud you for taking on this task. Keep up the good work! I look forward to seeing the finished article.

I find the phraseology in the existing translation posted above to be a little confusing in places - I'm not sure the translators had English as a first language, and as a result, the phrases and grammar used can seem a little odd and confused in places. It's still useful, just a tad vexing here and there.
aortic high arctic part mood altered paradise is lost
SYL
Esswhyell

Unread postby Po Hsing » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:49 am

Thank you for this great work.
Po Hsing
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium