Would Lu Bu make a good ruler?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Would Lu Bu Be A Good Ruler?

Yes
7%
No
44%
Depends On His Advisors
29%
PENGUINS!
20%

Total votes : 41

Would Lu Bu make a good ruler?

Unread postby Wo Long » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:40 pm

So, do you think he'd make a good ruler? I don't mean militarily, but politically and economically. Would he be good to his people like Liu Bei? Or would he be another tyrant like Dong Zhuo?
Me Blog.
Restore the Ming Dynasty in Beijing!
Wo Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiYan of Shu 77 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:56 pm

in my opinion he would be a total TYRANT. I suppose if he was ruling a communist country he would be good :lol:
Huang Zhong: Are you calling me old?!
Wei Yan: ...Yes.
Huang Zhong: Liu Bei! I demand you kill him!
Liu Bei: Well it's... true...
WeiYan of Shu 77
Academic

Unread postby robbyjo » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:14 pm

No, I don't think so. One trait that all rulers must have is the capability to listen to capable men. And Lu Bu often neglected Chen Gong's great advice. So, no.

-- Rob
:mrgreen:
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby melee » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:30 am

i choose "Depends On His Advisors" opinion.
if his advisor is Diao Chan,i think there is no problem here... :)
melee
Student

Unread postby Satsu Ryu » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:11 am

I don't think so. But if Lu Bu were to become a more capable leader then Dong Zhuo and or possibly Yuan Shao, Lu Bu would have to:
-Listen to his advisers more often. That's why they're there.

-Less listening to the women. Often kept him out of the public place and battle for sometime in later times.

-Avoid Zhang Fei a lot. Lu Bu and Liu Bei has good relations with each other. Why does Zhang Fei hate him so?

-More smarts, less muscle. Although do keep a considerable amount of muscle just so people will still respect or even fear you.

-Listen to what the people will say.

-With a charismatic aura around, one may attract many heroes to serve under one.

And you know, a few things here and there should fix Lu Bu into a good leader.
Satsu Ryu
Changshi

Unread postby urbanterrorist » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:31 am

Lu Bu lacked the humility and the will to listen and bow down to good advice. He was just too headstrong.
They miss the whisper that runs any day in your mind,
"Who are you really, wanderer?" and the answer you have to give
no matter how dark and cold the world around you is:
"Maybe I'm a king. -William Stafford
urbanterrorist
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Wo Long » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:16 am

Satsu Ryu wrote:Avoid Zhang Fei a lot. Lu Bu and Liu Bei has good relations with each other. Why does Zhang Fei hate him so?

Because Liu Bei was stupid. Lu Bu was only allying himself with Liu Bei for the sake of allies so he could be powerful and so he could stand a better chance against Cao Cao. Both Zhang Fei and Guan Yu knew this. The only difference was that ZHang Fei had a nasty temper so he couldn't restrain himself against Lu Bu. Whereas Guan Yu knew, but he also knew not to act and to be patient and to wait for Lu Bu to try soemthing first. Basically, they both hated him the same, it's just that Zhang Fei couldn't control his temper the way Guan Yu could.

And who the **** actually voted penguins?!
Me Blog.
Restore the Ming Dynasty in Beijing!
Wo Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dalton Imperial » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:44 am

I think that if Lu Bu tried to rule by himself, his temper would get the best of him. But if he had capable advisors like Jia Xu, they could do most of the detail while he could inspire his troops and people.
"Now, what defines a hero is this: a determination to conquer, a mine of marvelous schemes, an ability to encompass the realm, and the will to make it his." Cao Cao to Liu Bei
Dalton Imperial
Scholar

Unread postby Equinox » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:52 am

The historical Lu Bu may not have been quite as much of a powerhungry degenerate as the fictional one, but nevertheless he did not show the qualities that a good leader exhibits. As mentioned before, in ignoring the admonishment of Chen Gong and alienating those around him (including the generals who betrayed him and caused his death), it is not likely that Lu Bu would have attracted many vassals or generals to fight under his banner. Most at home on the battlefield, his behavior during times of peace (drinking, women, etc.) would likely make him unpopular amongst his subjects as well.

Also, there does not seem to be much record that he was a good speaker, or particularly charismatic. He was just an impressive physical specimen who was a beast in combat, but considerably less capable at domestic affairs.
Equinox
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jaing_Wei12 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:12 pm

Lu Bu had his chance to be a good ruler but he didnt listen to his advisors. Mabey if he would have taken some of chen gongs advice he would have faired better in the end.
In the end, strategy will prevail!
Jaing_Wei12
Student

Location: In Front of the PS2 or Xbox,or Computer...Do you men right this moment?

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium