Zhang Fei

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

How's Zhang Fei?

Some drunkard that can fight
13%
An important Shu general
78%
A brainless Shu general
4%
Something that ShuWeiYan didn't add
4%

Total votes : 45

Unread postby Chen Bo » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:17 pm

I think Zhang Fei was a good general for Shu, after all, he did stop Cao Cao's million host army at Chang Ban by having his cavalry drag branches so it seems that there was an ambush or reinforcements.

Plus, I can only recall two, maybe three times in the novel that it said the he drank to the point of being drunk, Plus If I recall, his Drinking habits became more of a 'problem' after the death of Guan Yu at Wu's hands.
Last edited by Chen Bo on Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chen Bo
Tyro

Unread postby Sean » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:37 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it his "bad rep" for being drunk that led him to his death? And, given Zhang Fei's rough personality, I don't think he was joking when he said that he was going to release a bomb.
#sosz @ irc.lunarnet.org
Open 24/7 for discussion. [Please take time zones into consideration.]
Sean
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby EmperorWei » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:53 am

Moogle wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it his "bad rep" for being drunk that led him to his death? And, given Zhang Fei's rough personality, I don't think he was joking when he said that he was going to release a bomb.

:lol: :lol: Theres bombs? I thought durning the era of RotK,bombs had not been invented yet.
"I do not fear an army of lions being led by a sheep,but do I fear an army of sheep led by a lion"-Alexander the Great
EmperorWei
Master

Unread postby Sean » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:57 am

It was used more as an alert system. In the novel, ambushes would normally be signaled with either a gong or the noise of a bomb. When Zhang Fei said that he would let off a bomb in the back of Zhuge Liang's cottage, he meant that he would arouse so much noise with a bomb used for signaling ambushes (literally, in this case), that it would wake up the Sleeping Dragon.
#sosz @ irc.lunarnet.org
Open 24/7 for discussion. [Please take time zones into consideration.]
Sean
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lafeel » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:54 pm

I'd say he was important, all right, and not half bad at strategy, either. Just not a Zhuge, or a Cao Cao. Love him or hate him, you must admit he had his moments, some good, some less, but in my opinion the good ones outweigh the bad.
Lafeel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby ShuWeiYan » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:05 pm

Moogle wrote:"A brainless general" is what I put. Zhang Fei almost got Liu Bei in some serious trouble by nearly waking up Zhuge Liang (if he planted his "bomb") and not having the, literally, the "Sleeping Dragon" join Shu. He died by beating 2 officers--No, he didn't die of exhaustion or anything like that, but instead, he beat the officers, and they assassinated him that night, after the flogging and they left Shu because of that. Seriously, I thought that was a bad choice.

Branless general you say? Zhang Fei is not that brainless general. During Yi, when Zhang Fei was advancing to liu bei first, who was there to think for him? Nobody but himself. And I admit that his bad habit was beating up his own generals. But remember, Zhang Fei did more strategic accomplishments than any other Shu generals other than ZL.
What's that thing called when a guy is gay for a girl?
-Homer Simpson
ShuWeiYan
Langzhong

Unread postby Jaing_Wei12 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:28 pm

I beleive that he was one hell of a warrior, but his love for wine screwed him over too many times. (Ahh, substance abuse at its finest.) True he became more reliable after Changban, but letting lu bu take his brothers city was a horrible mistake.

Maybe he had Post Dramatic Stress Disorder? :lol:
Jaing_Wei12
Student

Location: In Front of the PS2 or Xbox,or Computer...Do you men right this moment?

Unread postby DAv » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:45 pm

The second because he is perhaps the defining factor of the formation of Shu.
It's 108 miles to Chicago, We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of ciggerates. It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses - Elwood
Hit it - Jake
DAv
Academic

Unread postby Zhang Shu » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:12 am

i think Zhang Fei was one of the greatest warriors in history. Though lacking virtue like his brother Guan Yu, i doubt his skills and abilities were inferior to Yunchang's. Not everyone is perfect and his habit of drinking and whipping his soldiers and his bad temper led him to his death. Guan Yu was not perfect either. His over confidence led to the loss of Jingzhou and his capture and death. Overall, I believe Zhang Fei is no less important than anybody in the three kingdoms(maybe except Cao Cao and Kongming). He was crucial to the kingdom of Shu and how Liu Bei got where he got.
Havent been here in a while
Zhang Shu
Academic

Unread postby man4422 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:02 pm

I think Zhang Fei have brain, if he gets more wine to drink. He was geting intelligent as more years he serve Liu Bei. He is not useless as others. He was just not as educated as his other sworn brothers. Remember how he bring Yan Yan to surrender ? How he win the battle with Zhang He?

He also a righteous person, only someone who is hot-tempered. If you give him advices, he will sure follow. Remeber Zhuge Liang ever told him not to beat his men when he gets over to Shu kingdom to help Liu Bei? Without proper advices to Zhang Fei, he might still overtake advices by his own nature. That is why, when no one advice him not to hit his men, Zhang Fei beat Zhang Da and Fan Jiang, which in turn leads to his own death as they kill him when he was asleep.

Rgds
man4422
man4422
Master

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium