Zhuge Liang's Eightfold Maze

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Zhuge Liang's Eightfold Maze

Unread postby AkitaChung » Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:50 pm

Any one have information about
how the "ba zhen tu"[Eightfold Maze ] look like??

thank you :roll:
AkitaChung

Unread postby Lu Xun » Wed Sep 04, 2002 4:55 am

Hmm, you'd be surprised how hard it is to find good information on this. I tried to find a map, but it was no no avail. The best I could find just now was info from a travel sight about the location:
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/river/yangtze_attraction/fengjie.htm#bazhentu
Well that is all I have for now...I hope it helps. ^_^
性高潮枪
"Cheap sandal-maker! Do you always send your little bastard to the field?
If I call my little yellowbeard Cao Zhang over, he'll make meatballs of him!"
- Mengde
Lu Xun
Crown Prince of Shen Zhou

Location: Drinking wine, writing poems, and spending time with my concubines

Unread postby Han Xin » Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:19 am

As far as I know, it did not exist or it had little military value at all. Don't you found it strange that a great Commander like Lu Xun would be turn back by a few moving rocks? And if it was so effective, why didn't Zhuge Liang put about 200 of them around Shu border, and another 100 around JingZhou so that Wu would never be able to liberate JingZhou?
Han Xin's past-time - 沉湎於酒, 淫於聲色, 左手擁華姬,右手抱越女:lol:
Han Xin
Shu Emperor

Unread postby Zuyen Yu » Wed Sep 04, 2002 5:04 pm

Han Xin wrote:As far as I know, it did not exist or it had little military value at all. Don't you found it strange that a great Commander like Lu Xun would be turn back by a few moving rocks? And if it was so effective, why didn't Zhuge Liang put about 200 of them around Shu border, and another 100 around JingZhou so that Wu would never be able to liberate JingZhou?

You're so funny HX :P . If it wasn't effective why'd Lu Xun turned back then? And if it was effective at the time didn't mean it going to be good for another unless Lu Xun had his underware over his head j/k :lol:
"Life is short, play hard...!"
Zuyen Yu
Student

Unread postby Han Xin » Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:42 pm

phianhvu wrote:
Han Xin wrote:As far as I know, it did not exist or it had little military value at all. Don't you found it strange that a great Commander like Lu Xun would be turn back by a few moving rocks? And if it was so effective, why didn't Zhuge Liang put about 200 of them around Shu border, and another 100 around JingZhou so that Wu would never be able to liberate JingZhou?

You're so funny HX :P . If it wasn't effective why'd Lu Xun turned back then? And if it was effective at the time didn't mean it going to be good for another unless Lu Xun had his underware over his head j/k :lol:

Cao Pi might have the answer to your queries...
Han Xin's past-time - 沉湎於酒, 淫於聲色, 左手擁華姬,右手抱越女:lol:
Han Xin
Shu Emperor

Unread postby Mitsunari Ishida » Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:03 pm

Yes, Cao Pi was planning an attack on the southland and was at the border.
Mitsunari Ishida
Scholar

Unread postby xiaoxiannu » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:42 am

Wow..so it is true that Eight Elements Battle Formation (Ba Zhen Tu) is really happen. Another relics from ZGL I think.. :D
I wonder what it looks like...
Since the water level rose due to the Three Gorges Dam Project, the Eight Elements Battle Formation has been submerged in the river
Another follower of Sleeping Dragon
xiaoxiannu
Langzhong

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:56 pm

Isn't it a case maze exists but Zhuge Liang never used or invented it but did invent an anti cavalry formation called eight gates or something?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby lu zijing » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:22 pm

I posted this on illustraton thread, but this is one "sort of" representation of Eight Maze/Array (are they same thing or different?) I found.

It reads Diagram of 'Fish Returns to River Eight Array' that Zhuge Liang used against Lu Xun (not sure if this is right translation)

The Korean/Chinese words inside the diagram mean (I think):

Wind - Bird - Earth

Dragon - Main Army? (literally middle army) - Tiger

Clouds - Snake - Heaven

Cavalry 24 array

I have no idea what this is supposed to be, but here is rough translaton of explanation that went with:

It is unique array that Zhuge Liang developed from studying classic battle arrays by past strategists as he commanded army and conducted war.
Because of lack of information and distortion and mythology created by those who sought strange things since Tang and Song dynasies, Zhuge Liang's Eight Maze has become wild story. Originally, Eight Array was scheme of array and stragtegy used in training, marching, encampment, battle and other various situations. The chracteristic of this array was that obstacles were placed so that crossbowmen could display full might. The one described in SGYY has a lot of mysterious air.

In other words, not very helpful explanaton.
lu zijing
Apprentice

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:19 am

Woah... that's one hell of an array... I recalled from the novel that Cao Ren tried to use the eight array formations against Liu Bei at Xin Ye... However Xu Shu shown the weakness and Zhao Yun burst into Cao Ren's ranks and scatter them...

So basically I think this one is the eight array formations... However that is only my conjecture... Anyone can elaborate more about the eight array formations?
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium