Xiahou Dun's eye: could he have fought after losing it?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Did Xiahou Dun fight after losing an eye?

He fought many times after losing his eye
84%
He didn't fight at all after losing his eye
16%
He never lost his eye so he continued to fight
No votes

Total votes : 43

Xiahou Dun's eye: could he have fought after losing it?

Unread postby Jeremy » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:10 am

I don't really think he could have fought after losing his eye because of his depth perception, if he came up against anyone good, or perhaps even anyone, he would have lost very fast, he can't block because he wouldn't know when to block and when to counter and such.

Also, if he did fight after then is it possible he really didn't lose his eye because of the above mentioned.
Jeremy
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby man4422 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:16 am

If he did not fight, he is not a brave warrior. That is why Cao Cao have used him in wars often, knowing he is a brave warrior, losing eyesight but still is brave in the war.

Rgds
man4422
man4422
Master

Unread postby IsbenFaith » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:26 am

Wow, that really is an interesting question. His SGZ Bio (translated by HolyMan) doesn't mention him actually fighting after that, but at the same time, all of his titles and responsibilities were military. So I guess I...just...don't...know. :?
"We may fairly say that the U.S. media, despite their righteous self-image as opponents of something called terrorism, serve in fact as loyal agents of terrorism." Edward S. Herman & Noam Chomsky Manufacturing Consent
IsbenFaith
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Feeling something telling me to type "wrapping head in tinfoil."

Unread postby Jeremy » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:30 am

What do you mean he didn't fight, I'm saying that he didn't fight after losing his eye, he was plenty of brave before all of that.
Jeremy
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby IsbenFaith » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:31 am

MaChaoMaster wrote:What do you mean he didn't fight, I'm saying that he didn't fight after losing his eye, he was plenty of brave before all of that.

IsbenFaith wrote:His SGZ Bio (translated by HolyMan) doesn't mention him actually fighting after that
"We may fairly say that the U.S. media, despite their righteous self-image as opponents of something called terrorism, serve in fact as loyal agents of terrorism." Edward S. Herman & Noam Chomsky Manufacturing Consent
IsbenFaith
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Feeling something telling me to type "wrapping head in tinfoil."

Unread postby Jeremy » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:37 am

I was telling man 4422 that just because he didn't fight after losing his ey doesn't mean he wasn't brave before it.
Jeremy
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby man4422 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:12 am

MaChaoMaster wrote:I was telling man 4422 that just because he didn't fight after losing his ey doesn't mean he wasn't brave before it.

He did fight after losing his eye. He was as brave as before.

My statement : "If he did not fight, he is not a brave warrior". If before he got hurted with his eye by Cao xing, he did not went out to war, he might oppose Cao Cao commands, and stay in the city to guard the teritory. A brave hero is one who did not hesitate to fight against his enemy, regardless of the enemy strength.

My statement : " That is why Cao Cao have used him in wars often, knowing he is a brave warrior, losing eyesight but still is brave in the war."
After Xiahou dun lose one eye, he still as brave as before. That is why Cao Cao used him often in war.

Rgds
man4422
man4422
Master

Unread postby Huang Bob » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:16 am

Well, In SGYY he did take the field against Liu Bei at Bo Wang, although he didn't exactly fight.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Huang Bob
United Abominations

Unread postby Iain » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:32 am

I think historically Xiahou Dun was more of a governor than an action warrior, if he went to any battles after losing his eye he probably directed attacks from far behind the front lines away from anymore stray arrows. :wink:
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Lafeel » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:41 pm

Once bitten as they say...
I doubt Xiahou Dun took personally part in battles, apart from directing them from well behind the front line, after that. Can you blame him? Loosing a part of your anatomy is a real eye opener (pardon the pun)
Lafeel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium