Zhao Yun as a girl?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Zhao Yun as a girl?

Unread postby Alucard » Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:42 pm

my mom was readin the chinese newspaper and it said that zhao yun was a girl. basicly like mulan. they say zhao yun is a girl because liu bei trusted him. i pretty sure zhao yun is a guy but anyone want to clear this up for me.
I don't regret the decision I made that day. Even now. But...my heart still aches. I..I want to follow my heart. Whether it is right or wrong will be judged by history. - Pahn
Alucard
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: In a house where I open a door and another door appears.

Unread postby Starscream » Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:51 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If Zhao Yun was a girl, there would be tonnes of fanfiction about him/her and the love quadruple between Liu, Guan, Zhang!!!! :neighbor:

I don't think it's possible, if history records Zhao Yun having two sons, Zhao Tong and Zhao Guang.....women were not entitled to have descendants that follow their surnames. Children carry the surnames of fathers. :lol:

<still can't stop laughing>
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Alucard » Sat Aug 31, 2002 4:07 pm

may never know. maybe the husband last name was zhao. its only a theory though. like i said i pretty sure zhao yun is a man.
I don't regret the decision I made that day. Even now. But...my heart still aches. I..I want to follow my heart. Whether it is right or wrong will be judged by history. - Pahn
Alucard
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: In a house where I open a door and another door appears.

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Sat Aug 31, 2002 5:48 pm

:lol: LOL LOL LOL :lol:
I guess this makes my Zhao Yun & Lu Xun fanfic a bit more realistic :lol:

That was a good laugh but I see no reason to even asssume this.
Truth is, even though Zhao Yun and Liu Bei were somewhat femine, I don't see how it would he historically possible.
If I remember correctly, Zhao Yun waited a long time before he had kids, perhaps it's possible he adopted them?
Since Chen Shou ignores the poor lad we have to rely on Pei *_*
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Starscream » Sun Sep 01, 2002 5:50 am

Alucard wrote:may never know. maybe the husband last name was zhao. its only a theory though. like i said i pretty sure zhao yun is a man.

You making me more and more curious...is it possible for u to get the article up here?? Pretty please!!!! :oops:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:38 am

I've seen this suggested on a couple of other messageboards.. while I doubt it's true, I do think it would be really cool. :D

Reasons I've seen cited for it include.. almost always being depicted without facial hair, extreme "closeness" to Liu Bei possibly even exceeding Guan Yu and Zhang Fei, and charging alone into Chang Ban to rescue Liu Shan (an example of maternal instinct if ever there was one). So a cool theory. Maybe in Kessen III..
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Russell » Sun Sep 01, 2002 4:58 pm

Zhao Yun had to be a man. Women didn't fight in those days.

And Kessen II was the murder of RoTK history.
I suppose I should put something here, shouldn't I?
Russell
Genuises of the ISS
Genuises of the ISS

Unread postby Jimayo » Sun Sep 01, 2002 7:32 pm

Women weren't allowed to fight. So if indeed he was a woman(doubtful, but hey, who knows) he would have to pose as a man.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Sun Sep 01, 2002 7:53 pm

Jimayo Oyamitch wrote:Women weren't allowed to fight. So if indeed he was a woman(doubtful, but hey, who knows) he would have to pose as a man.

Actually that's not true, Zhu Rong was a warrior, and in Water Margin there are also women that fight.
Palace women would not fight, but then again..not all women lived in the palace and some were descendants of the Fire God :wink:
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:49 pm

I think that's the whole point in the speculation.. the theory being that Zhao Yun was a woman who posed as a man to be able to fight. And she did so well she was never caught. ;)
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium