Gan Ning

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Gan Ning

Unread postby MrZ_ » Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:06 am

Greetings all, I am pretty new to the three kingdoms period, so as being such I would like to ask you about Gan Ning. I am very interested in this warrior, really how was the historical Gan Ning? Any and all repsonces are appreciated, any little tidbit.

Did he really fall to Sha Mo Ke?
MrZ_
Initiate

Re: Gan Ning

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:08 am

He used to be a pirate. He got a habit of serving out harsh punishment to his surbordinates. Next. :D
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:12 am

I think he conducted a night raid against the armies of Wei, taking only 100 soldiers with him, and slaughtered the force and lost no one. He also saved Ling Tong, but maybe just did it to gain glory for himself...
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:22 am

Lu Meng was once angered greatly by Gan Ning, so much so that he assembled his troops and was about to attack Gan Ning's camp, only to be stopped by Lu's mummy. Next. :D
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:32 am

He decided to stop pirating when he was about 20, and after studying the classics he went to find a job with Liu Biao. But Liu Biao was a scholar and wouldn't employ this military guy, so Gan Ning left. He got to Huang Zu's place, but Huang Zu wouldn't give him a good job either, not even after Gan Xingba saved his butt by killing Ling Cao (Ling Tong's dad) during a Wu invasion. And so with the help of Su Fei, one of Huang Zu's subordinates, he left and defected to Wu.
That's why Ling Tong used to hate Gan Ning's guts.

And I can't find the Sha Mo Ke bit in the history book.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:42 am

Auntie Flo, what classics exactly did Gan Ning study?
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:47 am

Zhou Gongjin wrote:Auntie Flo, what classics exactly did Gan Ning study?
No clue... SGZ says "Po du zhuzi", which means "he read quite a bit of the various masters".

Probably the Analects and the Art of War and good stuff like that.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:55 am

Lady Wu wrote:
Zhou Gongjin wrote:Auntie Flo, what classics exactly did Gan Ning study?
No clue... SGZ says "Po du zhuzi", which means "he read quite a bit of the various masters".

Probably the Analects and the Art of War and good stuff like that.

I see, then I wonder why people (points at KOEI) treat him like he's some foolish pirate. I would not put him next to someone like Taishi Ci, but Gan Ning was obviously more than a blade wielding pirate.
Liu Biao, is a poor judge of character, no matter how wise he claims to be.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:25 pm

Gan Ning was not just any old foolish pirate... when he first met Sun Quan he explained to him the importance of the geography of Jing Zhou, and urged him to take it before Cao Cao does. He also analysed the situation regarding Liu Biao and Huang Zu for Sun Quan quite well. Right after he said all that, Zhang Zhao wanted to put him on the spot, but Gan Ning came back with a rebuttal that would've made Zhou Yu and Lu Meng proud. :D
Lady Wu

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:01 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Gan Ning was not just any old foolish pirate... when he first met Sun Quan he explained to him the importance of the geography of Jing Zhou, and urged him to take it before Cao Cao does. He also analysed the situation regarding Liu Biao and Huang Zu for Sun Quan quite well. Right after he said all that, Zhang Zhao wanted to put him on the spot, but Gan Ning came back with a rebuttal that would've made Zhou Yu and Lu Meng proud. :D

Yay for Gan Ning!
Auntie Flo, can you email me his SGZ translation?
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium