Was Xun Yu wrong about Yuan Shao's advisors? (Novel)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Was Xun Yu wrong about Yuan Shao's advisors? (Novel)

Unread postby Cloud Strife » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:31 am

Xun Yu laughed, saying, "His army is a rabble. One general, Tian Feng, is bold but treacherous; another, Xu You, is greedy and ignorant; Shen Pei is devoted but stupid; Peng Ji is steady but useless. And these four of such different temperaments, mutually incompatible, will make for confusion rather than efficiency. The brave Yan Liang and Wen Chou are worthless and can be disposed of in the first battle; and the others such as Gao Lan, Zhang He, Han Meng, and Chunyu Qiong are poor, rough stuff. What is the use even of their hundred thousands?"

From Chapter 22.

I was wondering if Xun Yu was wrong because didn't Yuan Shao get good advice from his advisors but he didn't listen to them? Also, do you agree with Xun Yu's description?
Hey guys, "Breaking Upwards" has been released at the IFC Center in New York! And at Laemmle Sunset 5 in LA! Come see it this weekend, April 10th-11th, to help it go nationwide! Thanks! http://www.breakingupwards.com
Cloud Strife
Scholar

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:12 am

If Pang Ji is useless, then why was it his plot that got Jizhou for Yuan Shao. That's my only complaint. But I can say the same thing about Cao Cao:

"His army is a rabble. One general, Guan Yu, is bold but treacherous; another, Yu Jin, is greedy and ignorant; Xiahou Yuan is devoted but stupid; Cao Hong is steady but useless. And these four of such different temperaments, mutually incompatible, will make for confusion rather than efficiency. The brave Song Xian and Wei Xu are worthless and can be disposed of in the first battle; and the others such as Yue Jin, Man Chong, Cheng Yu, and Xiahou Dun are poor, rough stuff. What is the use even of their hundred thousands?"

Most of that is remotely true.
Lu Xun- "After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, I see that he had more failures than success; hence, he is not much of a threat."
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SixWingGryffin » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:41 am

I'd also like to point out that Yan Liang was apparently quite a threat at Bai Ma, and the "rough, worthless" Zhang He went on to be one of Wei's great generals. I think the confilict's solution actually rested on the rulers. Had Yuan Shao commanded Cao Cao's army and vice-versa, Cao Cao would still probably beat him, since he knew who to listen to and who to ignore.
If you want an enjoyable roleplaying experience, try Si Guo Saga! Regardless of experience level, we'd love to see you there! A great place to try roleplaying for the first time.
SixWingGryffin
Sage

Location: Gamblin' in Havana, I took a little risk. Send lawyers, guns, and money, and get me outta this!

Unread postby Lord Sun Ce » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:59 am

a very unknown true fact: Xu You's second cousin was married to the sister of Zhuge Liang's wife.
Sun Tzu: Disorder coming from order is a matter of organization, fear coming from courage is a matter of force, weakness coming from strength is a matter of formation.
Lord Sun Ce
Initiate

Unread postby Six_and_Up » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:51 am

Xun Yu's comments aren't wrong, but they are certainly exaggerated to prove a point to Cao Cao. By comparison to Cao Cao's advisors the only men who were good advisors to Yuan Shao were Tian Feng and Ju Shou.
Currently playing: Dragon Quest VIII
Six_and_Up
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tyler » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:50 pm

I think Yuan Shao relied too heavilly on his advisiors.
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sima Hui » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:13 pm

Liu Ce wrote:I think Yuan Shao relied too heavilly on his advisiors.

A lot of the time he didn't even listen to them at all. Besides, Cao Cao almost always turned to his advisers when he needed to make a decision. There's nothing wrong with being dependant on your advisers, that's what they're there for. :wink:
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Unread postby James » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:39 pm

PrimeMinister Bu Zhi wrote:[…] Most of that is remotely true.

Either way I look at it, novel or history, that assessment is actually quite a way off and poor; not remotely true. Keep in mind that he is offering an evaluation—negative at that—of the force that destroyed his ruler with a much smaller military in the end. A good advisor would not have played down such a threat’s power.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:40 pm

Tell me then, James, who was he wrong about. It is true that he overaxagerated but there is slight evidence for each case proving Xun Yu to be correct.
Lu Xun- "After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, I see that he had more failures than success; hence, he is not much of a threat."
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SixWingGryffin » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:44 pm

Could I have some clarification as to how Tian Feng is "bold, but treacherous?" If I remember, it is he who advises against Yuan's expedition, and I don't recall all that much treachery on his part, although I could be mistaken. Most of what Xun Yu said about Yuan's advisors was, in my opinion, at least partly true, with this exception.
If you want an enjoyable roleplaying experience, try Si Guo Saga! Regardless of experience level, we'd love to see you there! A great place to try roleplaying for the first time.
SixWingGryffin
Sage

Location: Gamblin' in Havana, I took a little risk. Send lawyers, guns, and money, and get me outta this!

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium