More Loyal, Xiahou Ba or Jiang Wei

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Who is more loyal to their kingdom?

Xiahou Ba-To Wei
30%
Jiang Wei-To Shu
70%

Total votes : 46

More Loyal, Xiahou Ba or Jiang Wei

Unread postby Jeremy » Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:03 am

Who do you think was more loyal?

Xiahou Ba, though went to Shu, was only doing it because he foresaw the takeover by the Simas.

While Jiang Wei had many campaigns to destroy Wei and even after that he ended up being captured yet he still strived to get away and conquer Wei.

I vote Xiahou Ba considering it shall be my new name soon.
Jeremy
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Exar Kun » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:54 pm

Jiang Wei.He took his duty above and beyond the call.
After Liu Shan surrendered he could have went to a cushy posting in Wei.But instead he engineers the death of Deng Ai and manipulates Zhong Hui,all in trying to reform Shu.He fails but the end result is him taking Zhong Hui with him as well.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby SixWingGryffin » Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:05 pm

Xiahou Ba was loyal, but I think it would be hard to top Jiang Wei. He may not have had much success, but all of Jiang's actions were done for what he considered to be the good of Shu, even after its collapse.
If you want an enjoyable roleplaying experience, try Si Guo Saga! Regardless of experience level, we'd love to see you there! A great place to try roleplaying for the first time.
SixWingGryffin
Sage

Location: Gamblin' in Havana, I took a little risk. Send lawyers, guns, and money, and get me outta this!

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:10 pm

If Xiahou Ba was loyal to Wei, he would have done what Chen Tai and others did.
Lu Xun- "After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, I see that he had more failures than success; hence, he is not much of a threat."
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jeremy » Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:35 pm

What did Chen Tai do. Because Xiahou Ba only joined Shu so that he could get rid of Jin so that Wei won't suffer a downfall. Wouldn't you think it's pretty loyal to join one of your largest enemies of whom killed your own father just to save your own kingdom? Jiang Wei just did what a lot of people would do if that happened to him. Guan Yu would have, Zhang Fei, Zhao Yun, Huang Zhong, Yan Yan, Ma Chao, and Zhuge Liang. All of those people wouldn't have submitted to Wei but gotten executed or try to work from within. Jian Wei was just doing what any strong Shu person would do.
Jeremy
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Stedfel » Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:08 pm

In the 5th year of Gan Lu (AD 260), the Emperor of Wei, Cao Mao, led a group of palace guards and attendants in a bid to attack Sima Zhao as he could not tolerate the tyranny of Sima’s family. Sima Zhao immediately ordered his trusted general Jia Chong to kill the Wei Emperor together with his followers. On knowing that, Chen Tai rushed to the scene and cried on seeing the corpse of the Wei Emperor. Soon Sima Zhao arrived and asked Chen Tai for advice regarding the settlement for this issue. Chen Tai replied that the issue could only be resolved by executing Jia Chong. However, Sima Zhao was unwilling to do that and asked for an alternative. Chen Tai was so enraged that he collapsed suddenly and died.

Chen Tai was willing to die for Wei, while it appears that Xiahou Ba was not.

Look at it this way, Jiang Wei died trying to bring Shu back, while Xiahou Ba died tryng to help Shu conquer Wei. So I guess my answer is obvious, I believe that Jiang Wei was quite loyal to Shu.
Stedfel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Emperor Zhuge Liang » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:09 pm

[quote="MaChaoMaster"]What did Chen Tai do. Because Xiahou Ba only joined Shu so that he could get rid of Jin so that Wei won't suffer a downfall. Wouldn't you think it's pretty loyal to join one of your largest enemies of whom killed your own father just to save your own kingdom? quote]

But what would Jiang Wei say if he had taken over Wei and defeated the Sima's. Just give it back to Xiahou Ba and the Cao's?
"As long as my dream comes to fruition I can sacrifice a capital city, or two, or three"
Dong Zhou DW4
Emperor Zhuge Liang
Academic

Unread postby Man Chong » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:39 pm

Eh, well, Jiang Wei is obviously the more loyal. I mean, although he wasn't extremely talented compared to the likes of Chen Tai, Deng Ai, etc. he tried nevertheless. And when all seemed to have been lost, he still hatched a plan, and died trying to execute it.

Xiahou Ba....He left Wei. He could always be like his comrade Chen Tai: die trying to restore Wei or something. But when Xiahou Ba left Wei, it wasn't technically Jin yet, so in a way, he did betray Wei...
Man Chong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:11 pm

How do you know Guan Yu and others would do the same thing?

It's treason. Pure treason, no matter the reason. He left Wei because he feared for his life, he thought Sima Yi would kill him. He didn't care about Wei. All he cared about was his own well being because that's the only thing he had in mind during his surrender.

Now, if he did something like Wuqui Jian or Zhuge Dan, then I would understand. But he didn't. He not only betrayed Wei but betrayed his father who, if he were still alive, would probably disown him if not kill him.
Lu Xun- "After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, I see that he had more failures than success; hence, he is not much of a threat."
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Exar Kun » Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:01 pm

PrimeMinister Bu Zhi wrote:It's treason. Pure treason, no matter the reason. He left Wei because he feared for his life, he thought Sima Yi would kill him. He didn't care about Wei. All he cared about was his own well being because that's the only thing he had in mind during his surrender.

Now, if he did something like Wuqui Jian or Zhuge Dan, then I would understand. But he didn't. He not only betrayed Wei but betrayed his father who, if he were still alive, would probably disown him if not kill him.

No doubt.
Xiahou Ba abandoned the kingdom his father put his life into in favour of a kingdom that had Wei as public enemy number one.

Xiahou Ba thus supported the destruction of the kingdom his father and uncles built.
Xiahou Ba is a flat traitor who ran to save his own skin.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium