The Fire Arrow of the Three Kingdoms

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

The Fire Arrow of the Three Kingdoms

Unread postby Tyler » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:47 pm

This may be a silly question but how did people create fire arrows during the Three Kingdoms Era. Did they jsut wrap cloth around the arrow or did they use some kind of oil? How long was this method applied to making fire arrows? Could this be put out by water unlike greek fire. How often was it used on the battlefield (historically).
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:56 pm

I would like to know myself. The fire attack at Chibi is very impressive if you ask me. The calculations required for a fire attack which succeeds on that large a scale on water is truly no ordinary feat. Maybe Zhou Yu used a calculator. :lol:

Anyway, I don't know if their fire was anything as strong as Greek Fire.
Lu Xun- "After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, I see that he had more failures than success; hence, he is not much of a threat."
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby didier » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:01 am

My guess is they employ some kind of paper or flammible compound and stick the arrow head through it. The paper is soaked in an appropriate oil and lit just before they fire it. Haven't you seen Gladiator? It would be used by archers, not longbowmen or crossbowmen, and fired innacurately.
Guan Yu once said "I do not fear death, it is but my journey home". That comforts me for the distant future, but I want to stay and play Three Kingdoms games.
didier
Scholar

Unread postby Tyler » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:21 pm

Yes didier, but I'm trying to historically get some info not relate fire arrows to movies.
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Stedfel » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:04 pm

I found this image from an online website:

It's really an interesting picture, but I'm not so sure of it's accuracy. I had imagined the fire arrow would have been more like an arrow with a cloth covering, that would have been set on fire before shooting. Sort of like the one Lu Xun used in that DW cutscene.

Anyways, I guess this kind of arrow would start a fire, as it would probably explode on impact.
Stedfel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium