Why is Cao Ren so revered?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Why is Cao Ren so revered?

Unread postby SharoKham » Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:49 pm

Why does everyone like Cao Ren so much? From what I saw in the novel, he was little more than one of Cao Cao's nepotistic appointments. I don't recall him ever doing anything noteworthy. I don't mean to be inflammatory, I'm just curious as to why Cao Ren gets so much praise.
Last edited by SharoKham on Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The universe is in my voice, the universe speaks through this song..." "Astro Black" Sun-Ra

"Doncha be Tarot-fied, it's just a token of my extreme..." "Token of My Extreme" Frank Zappa
SharoKham
Apprentice

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:45 pm

My advice is to reconsider the way you are posting this topic and edit your first post. If not then I'll just delete it.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Cao Ren » Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:14 pm

Though not powerful, Cao Ren was an incredibly good leader and general. He helped Cao Cao from the beginning and deserves good credit.
Cao Ren
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari Ishida » Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:21 pm

Remember Cao Ren was said to be very brave, and held off the southland troops when they tried to take Nanjun, but then, Shu took it off him but still he was one of Cao Cao's best generals and had been serving Cao Cao for a long time, since the beginning.
Last edited by Mitsunari Ishida on Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitsunari Ishida
Scholar

Unread postby Lance » Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:08 pm

Cao Ren also held Jiang-Ling for a year against a Wu army with higher morale and greater numbers led by Zhou Yu and Wu's great generals.....which is quite noteworthy......he was also a key figure in Wei's defense of Xiang Yang against Wu(as far as I know......Xiahou Dun was also stationed there, which gives credit to Wu)
Landing the first blow is nice, but only the blow that counts is the last!
Lance
Scholar

Unread postby Zhang Liao17 » Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:41 pm

Cao Ren served Cao Cao from the start and helped form Wei. He was a trusted border commander for the Wei armies and had a lot of success against Zhou Yu and Wu. He was both intelligent and brave. He drove into Wu troops alone twice and saved some of his troops and his subcommander Niu Jin. He was extremely talented and although the novel doesn't talk about him too much, he had a lot to do with the Cao family success.
"Death is but death, and why are you scared at it?"-Zhang Liao
Zhang Liao17
Supreme Commander of Wei Forces

Unread postby lordostrategy » Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:43 pm

Why do you forget Cao Hong? He was just as skilled....

Mabye they got their impression from DW3's Tong Gate battle.... seeing them both be Lu Bus....

Later, ill be back in a hour....
Try this, you Wuists!

"If Wu was truly the greatest Kingdom, then why did Jin work them like a part time job?" -Justin
Want this buried into your skull? WWO ALL THE WAY!
lordostrategy
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Trying to get a lame title from Zhou Dexiang and James... SSSSHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Unread postby Zhang Liao17 » Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:02 pm

lordostrategy wrote:Why do you forget Cao Hong? He was just as skilled....

Mabye they got their impression from DW3's Tong Gate battle.... seeing them both be Lu Bus....

Later, ill be back in a hour....

This thread is about Cao Ren and has nothing to do with Cao Hong. If you want to discuss his ability, start a separate thread.
"Death is but death, and why are you scared at it?"-Zhang Liao
Zhang Liao17
Supreme Commander of Wei Forces

Re: Why is Cao Ren so revered?

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Thu Aug 29, 2002 8:57 am

SharoKham wrote:Why does everyone like Cao Ren so much? From what I saw in the novel, he was little more than one of Cao Cao's nepotistic appointments. I don't recall him ever doing anything noteworthy. I don't mean to be inflammatory, I'm just curious as to why Cao Ren gets so much praise.

If you'll look in the novel, it doesn't really say too much about him, but he valiantly defended Nanjun after Chibi, and had to fight off both Shu and Wu. He was, imo, a more valuable general to Wei than Zhang He, by far.
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Re: Why is Cao Ren so revered?

Unread postby twiztidscholar45 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:20 am

SharoKham wrote:Why does everyone like Cao Ren so much? From what I saw in the novel, he was little more than one of Cao Cao's nepotistic appointments. I don't recall him ever doing anything noteworthy. I don't mean to be inflammatory, I'm just curious as to why Cao Ren gets so much praise.

I think you need to reconsider, if you read the SGZ bio on him you will reconsider.
http://kongming.net/novel/sgz/caoren.php
In this battle strength alone will not save you
twiztidscholar45
Assistant

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium