5 Generals of Wei.

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Who's the best

Xu Huang
22%
Zhang Liao
57%
Yu Jin
2%
Yue Jin
2%
Zhang He
16%

Total votes : 86

5 Generals of Wei.

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:55 pm

Which of the Generals of Wei is the best.

My order would be:

1. Zhang Liao
2. Yu Jin
3. Xu Huang
4. Yue Jin/Zhang He tied
Lu Xun- "After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, I see that he had more failures than success; hence, he is not much of a threat."
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Exar Kun » Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:00 pm

:?
Haven't you always raved about how overrated Zhang Liao is?

Xu Huang is the best IMO.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:09 pm

Xu Huang. I always liked him. He seemed to stand out the most. Zhang Liao was very close though. His feats at He Fei were amazing. The thing that tipped the scales in Xu Huangs favor for me, had to be the giant axe. Other than that its too close to call. Then I would have to say Zhang He, then Yue and Yu tied.
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tyler » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:43 am

Zhang Liao is overrated but is still by far the best.
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Han Liang » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:44 am

I like Zhang He. He did a lot for Wei later on, almost being Sima Yi's right-hand man. He was a bit like Wei's Wei Yan, for being such a major general later.
You may say I'm a dreamer,

But I'm not the only one...

-John Lennon, Imagine.
Han Liang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:05 am

I know Zhang Liao is overrated but still good.

Anyway, Yu Jin is underrated by a lot. I think he's better then Xu Huang. His army killed about 6 generals in battle, and he held off Yuan Shao and Zhang Xiu and took Bingzhou. I think he would have beaten Guan Yu were it not for the flood.
Lu Xun- "After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, I see that he had more failures than success; hence, he is not much of a threat."
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:13 am

Zhang Liao, for Hefei.

My second pick is Yu Jin--I think he's the most underrated out of the five, and Cao Pi was really too cruel to kill him that way. He proved to be an excellent commander under Cao Cao and did quite a bit earlier on.

Third goes to Xu Huang, and then Zhang He. I don't remember much about what Yue Jin did. =P
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:24 am

I think Zhang He is the most overrated one. He did good agianst Zhuge but at the same time lost quite a few battles that prove as a test of leadership. He is heavily overrated by KOEI and has 92 LDR in rotkX. I think he was not this good. He did not participate in enough battles and only showed exceptional skill agianst the incapable Ma Su. Meawhile, Yu Jin, Xu Huang and Yue Jin participate in many battles, much more then normal generals, and almost always come out on top. They have feats such as killing generals which is rare in actual history and they have excellent conduct. Zhang Liao, while he did not have as many encounters, did show himself exceptionally skilled in the ones that he did.
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:17 am

Right after I listed Zhang He as 4th, I'm going to defend him. First, look at this line from his SGZ bio: 郃识变数,善处营陈,料战势地形,无不如计,自诸葛亮皆惮之。"[Zhang] He is knowledgeable in calculating according to the Changes [i.e., the 5-Elements theory, etc ~LW], and was good at organizing camps and formations. Nothing every went amiss when he was in charge of analyzing geographical situations. All from Zhuge Liang down were wary of him."

How many generals can you list were feared by Zhuge Liang?

As for him not participating in as many battles, here's the complete list taken from his SGZ bio:

Bohai (against Yuan Tan)
Liucheng (where Guo Jia died; Zhang He led the vanguard along with Zhang Liao)
Donglai
Weinan (defeated Ma Chao and Han Sui)
Anding (against Yang Qiu)
Northwest (against Liang Xing and the Di tribes; went with Xiahou Yuan)
Songjian (defeated Ma Chao again)
Hanzhong (vanguard against Zhang Lu)
Hanzhong area; captured Badong and Baxi commanderies
Held out against Liu Bei at Guangshi
Anding (against Qiang and Hu tribes)
Jiangling
Jingzhou (along with Sima Yi, defeated Sun Quan's troops at Qikou)
Qishan (defeated Ma Su)

That's quite a list.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:38 am

I'm cursious as to which ones he won and what his merits where in the battles. Simply participating is not equal to what others did. Yu Jin preformed exceptionally well and has sufficient merits listed in almost all his battles.

And in Jiangling, he lost to Zhu Ran, and I don't believe that he took Baxi. According to Shu SGZ, Zhang Fei defeated him at Baxi and I find this more reliable of a story.
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium