Families in Jing

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Families in Jing

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:37 am

We know Lu Meng captured Jing and when he did, the families of Shu generals stayed with him and were treated very well. The big question is, how did they get back to Shu? When Guan Yu was killed, his family was not yet Wu had custody of them. Why not? And why was Guan Xing a Shu officer if Wu had custody of his family?
What about people like Liu Zhang. He had two sons, one in Wu, one in Shu. This because Wu captured one of his sons and his family when they invaded Jing.

What happened to the families held by Wu in Jingzhou?
Lu Xun- "After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, I see that he had more failures than success; hence, he is not much of a threat."
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby melee » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:12 am

i don't think so,
when guan yu was killed,and then zhang fei,guan xing and zhang bao asked liu bei for their revenge,
so maybe when guan yu was in danger,he sent his family back to yi,remember that liao hua also went to cheng du and visited liu bei in that time.
:(
melee
Student

Re: Families in Jing

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:22 am

PrimeMinister Bu Zhi wrote:We know Lu Meng captured Jing and when he did, the families of Shu generals stayed with him and were treated very well. The big question is, how did they get back to Shu? When Guan Yu was killed, his family was not yet Wu had custody of them. Why not? And why was Guan Xing a Shu officer if Wu had custody of his family?
What about people like Liu Zhang. He had two sons, one in Wu, one in Shu. This because Wu captured one of his sons and his family when they invaded Jing.

What happened to the families held by Wu in Jingzhou?

Well i know that Liu Zhang's son who was in Jing stayed in Wu as an officer. I believe that after Yi Ling Sun Quan named this son inspecter of the Yi provience and intended to install him after invading Yi but Lu Xun stopped that idea.

With Guan Yu's family it could have just been female menbers. Usually if i am not mistaken it was the male family members who were usually killed off the female members tended to be spared so perhaps it was just Guan Yu's wife and daughter in Jing. I haven't seen anything saying that Guan Yu's family was kept or returned but since it might have just been women no one bothered to record it since women weren't really that important.
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Six_and_Up » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:40 am

Well from memory, In Generals of the South Rafe mentions that Liu Zhang was relocated in Jingzhou closer to the promixty of Shu terrioty, which is speculated to have been an attempt to stir trouble in Shu. Liu Zhang died before the relocation had any affects.

For Guan Xing, my guess is he was not in Jingzhou but in Yizhou or Hanzhong during Lu Meng's takeover. Liao Hua is the only person i remember whom defected back to Shu secretly.
Currently playing: Dragon Quest VIII
Six_and_Up
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sima Hui » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:13 pm

To answer the question about Guan Xing's survival read chapter 74 or something. I'll edit later to check the real chapter. Anyway, here is a quote.

Luo Guanzhong wrote: Unexpectedly, Guan's second son Xing arrived to see his father at camp. Lord Guan sent him back with Fei Shi with a list of promotions and rewards to the king of Hanzhong.

So there you go. Guan Xing left Jing months before Guan Yu's death and the loss of Jingzhou. :wink:
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium