Best Strategy

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Best Strategy?

Fire Attack of Chibi
41%
Longzhong Plan
14%
Two Kingdoms Plan
5%
Murder of Guan Yu
5%
Fire Attack of Yiling
5%
Attack on Hanzhong
14%
Plot against Cao Xiu
No votes
Invasion of Shu
No votes
Attack on Wuchao
5%
Alienation of Ma Chao and Han Sui
14%

Total votes : 22

Best Strategy

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:56 pm

What do you think is the best strategy?
Lu Xun- "After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, I see that he had more failures than success; hence, he is not much of a threat."
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Exar Kun » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:16 am

To be honest I think that's a pretty bad list you put together there.
You combined battle tactics with campaign strategy with long term strategy and they all really exist in different planes.

I'll go with Longzhong plan though since it was really very far reaching and had consequences that echoed through decades.I take that overall and for long term strategy.

For campaign strategy it's Hanzhong no question.Brilliant campaign and the hardest fought offensive victory of the war.

For battle tactics I'll go with Yi Ling.Close call between it and alienateing Ma Chao and Han Sui but at the end of the day Wu was in serious danger from Liu Bei whereas Ma Chao never constituted a life or death threat for Wei.Lu Xun came through in the clutch.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

yo

Unread postby Da_Chicago_Jigalo » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am

The fire attack on Chi Bi was the greatest strategy throughout the Three Kindoms. It was all put together peice by piece for the perfect victory.
Yo.....
Da_Chicago_Jigalo
Langzhong

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:22 am

Techniquely they are all strategies. Hanzhong was a large scale plan and so I didn't include every seperate thing (like when they burned the roads and such).
Lu Xun- "After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, I see that he had more failures than success; hence, he is not much of a threat."
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tyler » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:20 am

The fire attack of Chi Bi of course. Without it the Southern Campains would have taken the wouth whole.
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby didier » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:05 am

Put it this way, this question is hard to answer unless you're really familiar with the book, like you've read it maybe 1/2 a dozen times.

I would say some are pretty close and arguably the best by different reasons.

But my top 3 would be:

1. Chibi, but aside from the fire attack would be the chaining ships and predicting the wind by Zhuge Liang and Pang Tong, not just Huang Gai and Zhou Yu's fire attack.

2. Attack on Hanzhong, because though Xiahou De and Shang were crap commanders, Huang Zhong used a great strategy to lure the enemy into false sense of security, then ultimately crush them. Following that, he took the high ground to slaughter Xiahou Yuan, and Cao Cao's hold on Hanzhong was as good as lost.

3. The taking of Shu, where Deng Ai took a rough, roundabout route to attack the enemy from behind was simple, but ingenious. He bravely and resolutely decided to traverse the most perilous landscapes to roll down the rocky hills to take Chengdu with no resistance. He made the battle his by not accepting to attack where expected, and he was dearly rewarded.
Guan Yu once said "I do not fear death, it is but my journey home". That comforts me for the distant future, but I want to stay and play Three Kingdoms games.
didier
Scholar

Unread postby Iain » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:32 am

I dont know if setting fire to Cao Cao's huge fleet was that strategic, back then those armies were always setting fire to something to foil their foes.(Zhuge at Nanman, Lu Xun at Yi Ling)

Actually the murder of Guan Yu if you are counting all the planning to lure Guan into a false sense of security by Lu Xun and Lu Meng. And Lu Mengs capture of Guan's territory while he was gone by basically peaceful methods was something to be admired.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:28 pm

Actually, fire was not that often. Chi Bi fire attack was a brilliant plan. So was Yiling. Historicly, Zhuge Liang did not use a fire attack on Nanman. Anyway, Chibi Fire attack is very strategical, and all of the Cao advisors were apparently unable to see it.
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sky Scorcher » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:59 pm

The alienation of Ma Chao and Han Sui was brilliant. It crushed the force with the edge on the battlefield.
Sky Scorcher
Assistant

Unread postby Han Liang » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:10 am

Exar Kun wrote:Wu was in serious danger from Liu Bei whereas Ma Chao never constituted a life or death threat for Wei.
Really? Unless I'm mistaken, Ma Chao could have killed Cao Cao if he could take the camp Cao was boxed up in. If that's the case, a life or death threat would be exactly what I'd call it.
You may say I'm a dreamer,

But I'm not the only one...

-John Lennon, Imagine.
Han Liang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium