Zhuge Liang being tricked

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby LING_TONG ^0^ » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:21 am

Despite working on his business, Bu also took good care of his wife.
I think he had a better balance on work and family.
LING_TONG ^0^
Master

Unread postby Jiangji » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:46 pm

LING_TONG ^0^ wrote:Despite working on his business, Bu also took good care of his wife.
I think he had a better balance on work and family.

How did you know that ? Unless you are talking about the novel, then it may be true. In novel, women is the main reason that get him killed.
Detach from emotions and desires; get rid of any fixations.
Jiangji
Master

Unread postby Mei Zhen » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 pm

Hey, if you are Lu Bu's girlfriend, would that make you Bu's boo?
I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.
"In a modern culture
My friend you must be careful
They've a million ways to kill you

In this dangerous world
There’s an art to growing old
Taking chances
Magic happens"
- Garbage, Breaking Up the Girl
Mei Zhen
Lost in Quotation

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:21 pm

Bu Zhi is the best husband, another similairity I share with him(except I'm not married). :lol:
Lu Xun- "After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, I see that he had more failures than success; hence, he is not much of a threat."
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jiangji » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:08 pm

PrimeMinister Bu Zhi wrote:Bu Zhi is the best husband, another similairity I share with him(except I'm not married). :lol:

never heard of Bu zhi before. I mean where did you read that show him a good husband.
Detach from emotions and desires; get rid of any fixations.
Jiangji
Master

Kongmings marriage

Unread postby Genwei » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:37 pm

Zhuge Liang certainly did not marry in order to improve his social status. There are many instances that show beyond a shadow of a doubt that he has no interest in superficial things like status and wealth. If status had been important to him, he definitely would not have been content tilling fields as a recluse. The only thing that roused kongming out of his state of recluse was Liu Bei's plea for aid and the fact that the public were suffering so much at the hands of villains. It seems to me that the only things that motivated Zhuge Liang were the pursuit of good government and absolute justice. I surmise he married yueying due to her ability and mind. Nothing else. A jerk is the last thing he is. Even after outdoing Zhou Yu time and time again, he wept freely and paid his respects at Zhou Yu's grave. He is the most impressive man of the time period and this website is aptly named after him.
Genwei
Tyro

Unread postby Stedfel » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:53 am

Zhuge Liang certainly did not marry in order to improve his social status. There are many instances that show beyond a shadow of a doubt that he has no interest in superficial things like status and wealth. If status had been important to him, he definitely would not have been content tilling fields as a recluse. The only thing that roused kongming out of his state of recluse was Liu Bei's plea for aid and the fact that the public were suffering so much at the hands of villains. It seems to me that the only things that motivated Zhuge Liang were the pursuit of good government and absolute justice. I surmise he married yueying due to her ability and mind. Nothing else. A jerk is the last thing he is. Even after outdoing Zhou Yu time and time again, he wept freely and paid his respects at Zhou Yu's grave. He is the most impressive man of the time period and this website is aptly named after him.

Should I? I really can't let this slip, but I know I should, considering they are new and this would be completely off topic...... Bah, anways:

The thing about Cao Cao being a villain is a thing from the novel. Yes, he did bad things, but not much more than any other warlord of the time. He strikes me as someone with good intentions (ending the civil war), but is willing to go through a river of blood to get to them.

Absolute justice...... I'm sure Wei Yan would testify to that. (I know that's a completely unfounded statement, as Zhuge's involvement is still unofficial, but it gets the point across)

He only 'outdid' Zhou Yu in the novel, not in history. Actually, most of Chi Bi's victory and the following battles had little to do with Kongming. And even in the novel, it struck me as if Zhuge was still happy about Zhou Yu's death. The only time Zhuge (to my knowledge) was even around Zhou Yu was during his diplomatic mission.

As for Huang Yue Ying: No, I don't think that Zhuge was tricked or duped, but whether it was for social gain or other benefits I don't know, as I'm not to sure how a man who lived about 1,800 years ago thought. Maybe he did it because it would mean later generations would see him as un-shallow, or maybe he cherished her abilities. I'm personally leaning torwards my self-image theory.
Stedfel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LING_TONG ^0^ » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:27 pm

JiangJi wrote:
How did you know that ? Unless you are talking about the novel, then it may be true. In novel, women is the main reason that get him killed.

Mei Zhen wrote:
Hey, if you are Lu Bu's girlfriend, would that make you Bu's boo?
I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

I think you misunderstood me while you quoted me.
If you read my earlier post, you should know the "Bu" is referring to Bu Zhi. And I think Bu Zhi didn't get killed because of women...
LING_TONG ^0^
Master

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:40 pm

Stedfel wrote:

Should I? I really can't let this slip, but I know I should, considering they are new and this would be completely off topic...... Bah, anways:

The thing about Cao Cao being a villain is a thing from the novel. Yes, he did bad things, but not much more than any other warlord of the time. He strikes me as someone with good intentions (ending the civil war), but is willing to go through a river of blood to get to them.

Absolute justice...... I'm sure Wei Yan would testify to that. (I know that's a completely unfounded statement, as Zhuge's involvement is still unofficial, but it gets the point across)

He only 'outdid' Zhou Yu in the novel, not in history. Actually, most of Chi Bi's victory and the following battles had little to do with Kongming. And even in the novel, it struck me as if Zhuge was still happy about Zhou Yu's death. The only time Zhuge (to my knowledge) was even around Zhou Yu was during his diplomatic mission.

As for Huang Yue Ying: No, I don't think that Zhuge was tricked or duped, but whether it was for social gain or other benefits I don't know, as I'm not to sure how a man who lived about 1,800 years ago thought. Maybe he did it because it would mean later generations would see him as un-shallow, or maybe he cherished her abilities. I'm personally leaning torwards my self-image theory.

Well since you mentioned history then why did you bring up Wei Yan? Zhuge Liang never treated Wei Yan poorly in history and in fact relyed on Wei Yan during all of his northern campaigns.
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Stedfel » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:55 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:Well since you mentioned history then why did you bring up Wei Yan? Zhuge Liang never treated Wei Yan poorly in history and in fact relyed on Wei Yan during all of his northern campaigns.

*Ahem.*

Stedfel wrote:(I know that's a completely unfounded statement, as Zhuge's involvement is still unofficial, but it gets the point across)

I was just using it as an example. I would have thought up a better example if I wasn't so tired when I typed the above post.
Stedfel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium