Zhuge Liang being tricked

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Zhuge Liang being tricked

Unread postby LING_TONG ^0^ » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:56 am

Quote from "襄 陽 記" (Records of Xiang Yang)
襄 陽 記 曰 : 黃 承 彥 者 , 高 爽開 列 , 為 沔 南 名 士 , 謂 諸 葛 孔 明 曰 : 「 聞 君 擇 婦 ; 身 有醜 女 , 黃 頭 黑 色 , 而 才 堪 相 配 。 」 孔 明 許 , 即 載 送 之 。時 人 以 為 笑 樂 , 鄉 里 為 之 諺 曰 : 「 莫 作 孔 明 擇 婦 , 正 得阿 承 醜 女 。 」

Huang Sing Yi, who was a gentleman of the area, told Kong Ming: "I heard you are looking for a wife; I have a ugly girl, save for her head is yellow, she is entirely black :?: but her talent is comparable to yours." Kong Ming agreed the marriage, and immediately prepared for it. The people at that time liked to use this as a joke, the resident of Xiang Yang even made a song for Kong Ming, below is its content: "Never be a Kong Ming in a marriage, he likes kissing ugly women's ass."

Somehow I feel Huang Sing Yi was a jerk.
BUT Kong Ming was a Real jerk.
And I wonder, will they play that song in Kong Ming's wedding?
LING_TONG ^0^
Master

Unread postby Zhou Yu - The Master » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:07 am

Haha. This is funny. I thought the description of his wife was a tad bit harsh. Wasn't it her father who introduced her to Zhuge Liang? Her name's Huang Yueying, right? Therefore, this 'gentleman', Huang Sin Yi, was probably her dad. Though ugly, she was really smart.
Zhou Yu - The Master
Initiate

Re: Zhuge Liang being tricked

Unread postby Ma Zhi Xuan » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:47 pm

LING_TONG ^0^ wrote:Somehow I feel Huang Sing Yi was a jerk.
BUT Kong Ming was a Real jerk.
And I wonder, will they play that song in Kong Ming's wedding?

How does this make Zhueg Liang a jerk? He found a woman with same ability and interests as him, disregarded what her appearence looked like because he loved what was on the inside. That is just sensitive, deep and sweet, there's virtually nothing wrong with what he did there, although I personally wouldn't go out with someone with a yellow head and black body, she looked like a humungeous two-striped bee :shock:.
Ma Zhi Xuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: In the Symphony of Destruction. Clashing the cymbols.

Unread postby Liu Pi » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:18 pm

Or the marrige may just have convenient. Kong Ming may have been able to learn from her or confer with her. Unfortuantly marrige is not always about love.
"You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one." - James A. Froude
Liu Pi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby barbarosso » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:54 pm

Maybe the texts have been alternated,
Maybe he marrayed a real sexy chick,
Maybe the wed was really a'ranged,
And Maybe the writer was just taking the mick!
Lol, :lol:

Mod Edit: (SH) Changed colour. Don't use colours other than black.
barbarosso
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:19 pm

How is Zhuge being tricked?
Lu Xun- "After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, I see that he had more failures than success; hence, he is not much of a threat."
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LING_TONG ^0^ » Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:51 pm

Ma Zhi Xuan asked:
How does this make Zhueg Liang a jerk?

Marriages at that time Mostly were not about love.
Kong Ming had nothing when he was in Xiang Yang area, but Huang Sin Yui was a well-known gentleman. So I couldn't stop myself to think about his motive.

PmBZ asked:
How is Zhuge being tricked?

Huang Sin Yi just wanna kick his ugly daughter out of his mansion and have her a husband to take care the rest.
And Zhuge, who thought that would be a chance for advancing his social status by the marriage, acted as a recycle station for Huang.
LING_TONG ^0^
Master

Unread postby TheMightyXuHuang » Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:28 pm

Lol.This is funny but i dont agree with the fact that you are calling,Zhuge Liang a jerk due to this,he just aint shallow
TheMightyXuHuang
Assistant

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:30 pm

黃頭黑色 should read "yellowish hair and dark-skinned" (rather than "yellow head and black colour"). Since Chinese people are generally born with black hair, hair of shades lighter than black would either imply that the person was born with weird hair (like Sun Quan, heh), or that they did so much physical labour outdoors that their hair was bleached. The latter would also explain the darker complexion. Women like that were not considered attractive--you need jet-black hair and fair skin.

However, in today's world, many Chinese women go out of their way to dye their hair blond, and a good tan is often considered healthy. So Kongming and his wife were really really ahead of their time! :lol:

I remember having read something about how Ms. Huang was really smart and really taught their kid well--I can't seem to find the passage in SGZ in a jiffy but perhaps that's just in the novel? ::?

(BTW, the pinyin for Zhuge Liang's father-in-law's name is "Huang Chengyan", for those who're wondering.)
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby LING_TONG ^0^ » Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:34 pm

Well, actually I didn't call Zhuge a jerk because of shallowness.
In fact I think he wasn't shallow at all, and I call him jerk exactly due to his "political intelligence." He can even apply his political sense in marriage! What else could I say?
Last edited by LING_TONG ^0^ on Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LING_TONG ^0^
Master

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium