China's Foreign Relations During 3K

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

China's Foreign Relations During 3K

Unread postby King_Ilze » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:03 pm

Hello, it's been awhile since I posted here but I was thinking today and this thought crossed me mind.

During the Three Kingdoms Era, what was China's Foreign Affairs like? Did they have good relations with countries outside of China. I'm not sure when trade outside of Asia started but I'm quite sure it was long after 3K, am I right?
When one can find oneself then one can avoid regret.
King_Ilze
Assistant

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:27 pm

Lu Xun- "After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, I see that he had more failures than success; hence, he is not much of a threat."
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lu Kang » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:28 pm

Shu had little to no contact outside of the Three Kingdoms but they did have silk trade which most likely went far (but not under their control).

Wei had contact with the huns, the tribes of korea (conquered a few) and Manchuria. They also had contact with Queen Himiko of Japan. She gave tribute to Wei. I've heard that there was a battle between the two at some point but there isn't a lot of information on their contact.

Wu was the first Chinese nation to official send anyone to Taiwan however it was not very fruitful. They took over Hainan island succussfully. They had contact with Rome. They also sent two guys down to Thailand and Cambodia (by way of sea). These two guys record of Funan (cambodia) was the best reord for China for several hundred years and it survives in various bits here and there such as the quote below:

" There are walled cities, palates and dwelling houses. The people are all ugly and black, their hair is curly they go naked and naked-foot. Their naturalness is simple and they are not at all robbers They are devoted to agriculture. They sow one year and collect during three. Moreover, they like to engrave ornaments and to engrave. Many their utensils of which they are used to eat are out of money. The tax is paid in gold, money, pearls, and perfumes. They have books and deposits of files and other things. Their characters of writing resemble those of Hou"
无口为天,有口为吴,君临万邦,天子之都
Historical Post
Lu Kang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Exar Kun » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:55 pm

I don't recall any war between Cao Rui and Queen Himiko.All that's is recorded that I know of is that she sent tribute to him and they had amicable diplomatic relations until she died and then Japan plunged back into civil war.

Wu conquered Hainan island?Sure about that?I not at home so I don't have my resources with me but I remember something about that being a total disaster and that the commander was executed or something upon his return.Perhaps that was Taiwan maybe?But even so,I distinctly recall Rafe saying that their Hainan adventure was a failure.

As to contact with Rome,to be a little more detailed,Wu had contact with merchants who flew under the Roman flag,isn't it?Rafe believes that they just pretended they were official to get favourable trade terms.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby The Sun Also Rises » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:51 pm

You might be interested in this. It's from the Weilue and has accounts of many of the foreign folk of which the Chinese had contact with at the time of the 3rd century.
-011a5-400c974c;
The Sun Also Rises
Student

Unread postby Lu Kang » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:38 pm

I don't recall any war either but I found somewhere at sometime the fact that "245, Governor Gong Zun and Governor Liu Mao defeated Marquis Bunai-hou". (This was before I did a better job of keeping track of my sources).

As for Zhuya the attack is described in Sun Quan's bio as, "In the 7th month, general Nie You and Colonel Lu Kai were dispatched with 30,000 troops on a punitive expedition against Zhu Yai and Dan Er." Now Rafe says that it was conquered and just from a quick serach of "Zhuyai" in SGZ it appears as though it was in Wu control. It was the invasion of Yizhou that didn't go so well and made Wei Wan and Zhuge Zhi lose their heads.

Well, yes they were not actual Romans as the definiation would imply but they were representing the Romans in their Asian area.
无口为天,有口为吴,君临万邦,天子之都
Historical Post
Lu Kang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhilong » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:49 pm

The silk road trade started in Han times right? Chenchang was apparently an important outpost in the trade which was why it was relatively well fortified.
"You weaver of mats! You plaiter of straw shoes! You have been smart enough to get possession of a large region and elbow your way into the ranks of the nobles. I was just going to attack you, and now you dare to scheme against me! How I detest you!"
Zhilong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Shang Fong Valley with petrol bombs waiting for yours truly.

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:49 am

If you take Roman History :) you'll know that the Romans have made contact with China and always supported the silk trade...

The Chinese call them the "Da Qin" (a.k.a. Greater Qin Dynasty)
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium