Gang Ning was defeated by Liu Zhang

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Gang Ning was defeated by Liu Zhang

Unread postby LING_TONG ^0^ » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:22 pm

英 雄 記 曰 : 焉 死 , 子 璋 代 為刺 史 。 會 長 安 拜 潁 川 扈 瑁 為 刺 史 , 入 漢 中 。 荊 州 別 駕 劉闔 , 璋 將 沈 彌 、 婁 發 、 甘 寧 反 , 擊 璋 不 勝 , 走 入 荊 州 。璋 使 趙 韙 進 攻 荊 州 , 屯 朐  。 上 蠢 , 下 如 振 反 。

It says: After the death of (Liu) Yan, his son Zhang inherited his position. At the same time, Chang An (the Han capital under Dong's command) had sent another officer to replace Liu Yan, and had arrived Han Zhong. Jing Zhou officer, 劉闔, Liu Zhang's generals 沈 彌 、 婁 發 、 (some names of some guys I don't know and had no interest), AND GANG NING rebelled, they failed on the attack of Zhang, and fled to Jing Zhou. (Liu) Zhang sent his officer, 趙 韙 to attack Jing Zhou... but he finally revolted.

Many of us know Gang Ning originated from Nan Yang, and later went to Yi Zhou. But seldom knows Ning was a general of Liu Zhang, and revolted against him before he finally got to Jing Zhou and under Wang's command.
LING_TONG ^0^
Master

Unread postby Exar Kun » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:25 pm

Nice find.
Gan Ning's pirate past must be really far behind if he did all that before going under Huang Zu.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby LING_TONG ^0^ » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:39 pm

Yea, Ning was a bad boy.
But he really worked hard on studying after he got to Jing zhou.
LING_TONG ^0^
Master

Unread postby Elven Fury » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:39 pm

Dude thats kool... ive always wondered what he did seeing he was a pirate or a man for hire before Huang Zu...
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:23 pm

Which source is that quotation from?
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby LING_TONG ^0^ » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:31 pm

I stated inside the quote, it is "英 雄 記 ".
I'm not sure if you understand chinese, but I'm sure my English is poor.
I think 英 雄 記 can translated into "Records of Heros" :?:
LING_TONG ^0^
Master

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:33 pm

Gang Ning =/= Gan Ning. :lol:
Wrong person.

Also, if he was a pirate, what was he doing rebelling in the mountains?
Lu Xun- "After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, I see that he had more failures than success; hence, he is not much of a threat."
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LING_TONG ^0^ » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:48 pm

They were the same, Ning left Nan Yang for Ying Zhou.
And after he fled to Jing, after being defeated by Zhang, Liu Biao ( who was the head of Jing Zhou ) disliked Ning's character and assigned him a low- rank officer and sent him to Huang.
I personally think Liu Biao was wary that Ning would switch back to Zhang's side taking account that Ning had lived in Ying Zhou for quite some time.
Furthermore, we can see why Huang (also Biao) was so hesitate to use Ning's talent. (because Ning once mutinied)

Wu shu states very clearly:
寧 本 南 陽 人 , 其 先客 於 巴 郡 。 寧 為 吏 舉 計 掾 , 補 蜀 郡 丞

"Ning was originally a citizen of Nan Yang (to save up face, records always avoid saying someone was a priate or robber), but he latter went to Yi zhou. Ning was assigned an officer there too.
Last edited by LING_TONG ^0^ on Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LING_TONG ^0^
Master

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:54 pm

Perhaps you confused it with this qoute;
Ying Xiong Ji: Before, tens of thousands of families from Nanyang and Sanfu were flowing into Yizhou. The people were collected and enlisted as troops, where the division was named the Dongzhou (Eastern Region) troops. Liu Zhang by nature was lenient and soft, hence he had no great plans. The people of the Eastern Region suddenly plundered the local people. Liu Zhang was unable to stop it, his authority and orders had lots of deficiencies, and there were lots of complaints in Yizhou. Zhao Wei had won the hearts of the people and so Liu Zhang appointed him. Because of the complaints from the people, Zhao Wei planned to rebel and generously bribed [Liu] Jingzhou to ask for peace while forming ties with the great clans of [Yi]zhou to raise a band of troops. He then attacked Liu Zhang and the prefectures of Shu, Guang Han, and Jianwei all responded to Zhao Wei. Liu Zhang hurriedly galloped into Chengdu city to defend it. The people of the Eastern Region feared the might [of the rebels], so all of them were willing to combine their forces and assist Liu Zhang. All of them fought battles to the death where they successfully defeated the rebels. They attacked Zhao Wei in Jiangzhou. Two generals under Zhao Wei, Pang Yue and Li Yi turned around and attacked Zhao Wei's troops, beheading Zhao Wei. Han Xian Di Chun Qiu: The Han dynasty heard of the troubles in Yizhou, and sent the General of the Gentlemen of the Household of All Purposes (wuguan zhonglang jiang), Niu Dan, as the Inspector (cishi) of Yizhou while making Liu Zhang as a minister, but he did not arrive there.

This is all I could find that actually looks closly related to your qoute.

Though I still doubt it's the same Gan Ning.
Lu Xun- "After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, I see that he had more failures than success; hence, he is not much of a threat."
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LING_TONG ^0^ » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:01 am

Oh, I'm sorry. I edited my last post so slow.
I quoted Wu Shu when I edited last time, here I do it again:
寧 本 南 陽 人 , 其 先客 於 巴 郡 。 寧 為 吏 舉 計 掾 , 補 蜀 郡 丞

the explanation is the same as what my last post said. But I would like to mention that his position at Yi was an civil officer.

Also, I find one more quote from Wu Shu:
寧 將 僮 客 八 百 人 就劉 表 。

How can a civil officer had 800 people on hand? Wu shu wouldn't say Ning's bad side (his mutiny), but it's obvious that the 800 is the defeated troop which Ning brought togeter into Jing zhou.
LING_TONG ^0^
Master

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium