Kong-Ming's venom. Case 1, victim: Meng Da

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Kong-Ming's venom. Case 1, victim: Meng Da

Unread postby LING_TONG ^0^ » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:13 pm

After Meng Da switched side to Wei from Shu, he was honored by Cao Pi, and assigned the commander of Xincheng. However, Pi died several years later, Sima Yi advised the new emperor to take caution against Da. Unlike his father, the new emperor listened to Yi, and started to doubt Meng Da.

Knowing what his his majesty had in mind, Meng Da secretly made contact with Wu and Shu, plotting against Wei. However, Zhuge Liang abhorred Meng's slippery treachery, and was vexed at Meng's potenial hazard.

By the same time, Da used to have conflicts with his colleague, Shen Yi, the commander of WeiXing. In order to accelerate Da’s treachery on Wei, Liang sent an officer to aid him, but purposely leaked the tidings to Shen Yi. Thus the officer was caught by Shen on the way, and revealed the intention of Da to Shen. While hear of his ploy exposed, Da had no choice but to mutiny.

I am not going to talk about the details of how Meng Da fought Sima Yi when he revolted, because that is not quite relevant to the topic. In this thread, I only state the result; Sima oppressed Da's mutiny and had him executed before Zhuge's army reached the battlefield. (In fact, Zhuge's army never arrived Xincheng, because Shen Yi stopped Kong- Mong's advance)
LING_TONG ^0^
Master

Unread postby Sima Hui » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:57 pm

Very good, but what's the question here? What are we gonna debate? :wink:
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Unread postby LING_TONG ^0^ » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:07 pm

well, just share a point on Kong- Ming.
I say he isn't that dumb (as some others may think), he knows some tricks! (mostly against his political enemies)
And, to say he was not as innocent as he looked like.
In fact I'm collecting data to support that Kong Ming was a power grabber who took the hegemony from Liu Chan and oppressed him for a long time. And this thread is in fact a by- product of the research of Liu Feng. (another victim of Zhuge)
LING_TONG ^0^
Master

Unread postby Exar Kun » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:40 pm

LING_TONG ^0^ wrote:And, to say he was not as innocent as he looked like.
In fact I'm collecting data to support that Kong Ming was a power grabber who took the hegemony from Liu Chan and oppressed him for a long time. And this thread is in fact a by- product of the research of Liu Feng. (another victim of Zhuge)

Well I hope you at least come with something innovative.I figure in my 3+ years I've hammered every single angle of attack.

But back on topic.Where did you get that info about Zhuge and Shen Yi?I've never heard such a story before and have had no success finding any reference to it.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby LING_TONG ^0^ » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:49 pm

But back on topic.Where did you get that info about Zhuge and Shen Yi?I've never heard such a story before and have had no success finding any reference to it.

Then that would be innovative to at least u. :lol:
LING_TONG ^0^
Master

Unread postby Zhilong » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:43 pm

ZL can have Sima Yi kill Meng Da and achieve little with the above plot.

or

ZL can use Meng Da in spite of his personal feelings, to create an opportunity for Shu and can deal with Meng Da at his leisure after he has served his purpose.
"You weaver of mats! You plaiter of straw shoes! You have been smart enough to get possession of a large region and elbow your way into the ranks of the nobles. I was just going to attack you, and now you dare to scheme against me! How I detest you!"
Zhilong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Shang Fong Valley with petrol bombs waiting for yours truly.

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium