New RTK Novel: you help is appreciated!

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby tongwu » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:18 pm

The problem is not with the English text, it's with the original Chinese text. Love, passion, etc just wasn't an important part of Chinese historical epics.

Hopefully, that is something I can improve upon.

Having not read the text of RTK in its whole for quite a bit of time, I am sorry to say I am not an expert on it.

However, what we don't get is the finer emotions. How did they feel when they were first separated (guarding different places in Xuzhou)? What did Guan Yu think when Xuzhou was lost and he was alone without help? Did they ever had some "last thought" about their brothers, at a difficult battle?

Yes, one of my goals is to be able to endow emotion into these legendary characters, whose diefic status often removes them from the emotions of men.

Thank you for your input.

From what I can discern, one of the reasons why many American audiences can't fully appreciate RTK is because of how expansive the story is... historically, number of characters.... it is very hard for them to memorize all the Chinese names, and it often confuses them when the text is immense.

I think by focusing on the Three Brothers, it will be much easier to relate, enjoy and comprehend with the story.

Lady Wu,

Do you know of a resource from where I can get information on the early lives of Guan Yu,Liu, and Zhang? Before they met?
tongwu
Tyro

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:34 pm

tongwu wrote:Lady Wu,

Do you know of a resource from where I can get information on the early lives of Guan Yu,Liu, and Zhang? Before they met?

Like I said in my first post, such information does not exist. Your best bet is to look up various folktales and legends and operas for inspiration to make up your own story.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium