When GongSun Zan trusts his ally

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

When GongSun Zan trusts his ally

Unread postby LING_TONG ^0^ » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:01 am

The biggest flaw GongSun made wasn't the "reinforcement fault,"(though it is a big strategic flaw in battlefield) but his innocence on believing Yuan Shao at the very beginning of their 6.5 year war.

In my opinion, GongSun’s troop (the famous white billow cavalry) was more and better than that of Yuan Shao BEFORE the Jiz Zhou incident.

Shao was assigned to command Bo Hai only ;( AD 189) he couldn’t have enough soldiers or food due to the restriction of his land. While his conglomerate suffered from the lack of food supply after the dissolution of Guan Du coalition, he thought of a ploy to take over the abundant Jiz Zhou.

The tactic he chose is “let the cat scare the rat, save the rat and make it a pet.” Yuan Shao secretly sent a letter to GongSun Zan saying that if he aids him to attack Jiz Zhou, he would give half of Jiz as a wage. But at the same time, Shao sent a letter telling Han Fu (head of Jiz Zhou) that Gong Sun was going to attack, and the only person who can save his life was him. Thus Han begged the “help” from Shao, and later abdicated Jiz Zhou to him. (Shao let his generals hold every gateway of the city Yip, and soon took over Fu’s troop)

After Shao’s non-blood capture of Jiz Zhou, GongSun sent his brother to bargain the half dominion of Jiz Zhou. But Shao committed assassination on Zan’s brother. By hearing his brother’s death, Zan was mad, and he vowed to avenge on his brother.

However, by the time Shao acquired Jiz, his power grew with an unimaginably speed, while Zan was busy dealing with the Yellow Turbans at DongGuang.

Even the first few battles (battle of Jieqiao, battle of Ma Waters, & battle of Longzou AD192) Zan might gain some advantage by the aid of his alliance, (Liu Bei, Yuan Shu, & Tao Qian) he would predictably be no match of Shao after a few years. However, Zan stopped his campaign while the Han court request he make peace with Shao, leaving time for Shao to build his might.

Therefore, I regard GongSun’s biggest fault was too innocent to believe Shao and leaving him time to build up his force at Jiz Zhou.
LING_TONG ^0^
Master

Unread postby LING_TONG ^0^ » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:03 pm

Anyone has the detail about the battles of Jieqiao, Ma Waters, & Longzou ?
if u have, can u tell me? I wanna know more about the war between GongSun & Yuan Shao. Any related info is good.
LING_TONG ^0^
Master

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:11 pm

I wanna read Gongsun Zan's SGZ bio, translated. Anyone know where?
Lu Xun- "After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, I see that he had more failures than success; hence, he is not much of a threat."
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LING_TONG ^0^ » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:58 pm

I think I had made a few mistakes on the first post, do you guys see them? :idea:
I'll state what I see later (just wonder if you guys know). :twisted:
LING_TONG ^0^
Master

Unread postby Ts'ao Jian » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:44 am

Here's a link to his bio at KMA http://kongming.net/novel/sgyy/gongsunzan.php

Enjoy! :)
Now heroes are men who cherish lofty designs in their bosoms and have plans to achieve them; they have all-embracing schemes, and the whole world is at their mercy. -Ts'ao Ts'ao

Hell is other people. -Tagline of No Exit
Ts'ao Jian
Langzhong

Unread postby LING_TONG ^0^ » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:51 am

I'm sorry, my topic is not based on SGYY, but SGZ.
while the bio the link gives is unfortunately a SGYY bio.
But thanks anyway, Ts'ao Jian :P
LING_TONG ^0^
Master

Unread postby Ts'ao Jian » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:28 am

Sorry about that.... need to pay more attention...
Now heroes are men who cherish lofty designs in their bosoms and have plans to achieve them; they have all-embracing schemes, and the whole world is at their mercy. -Ts'ao Ts'ao

Hell is other people. -Tagline of No Exit
Ts'ao Jian
Langzhong

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium