Xiahou Ba's comments on Deng Ai

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Stedfel » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:22 am

Noticed something in the novel. Jiang Wei fought Deng Zhong, believing that he was his father, Deng Ai. This leads me to believe, that Jiang Wei (and possibly Xiahou Ba) actually believed Deng Ai to be younger than himself.

Jiang Wei seemed to be quite surprised when Deng Ai told him to stop messing with his son and fight him.
Stedfel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LING_TONG ^0^ » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:12 pm

"Recently, two young men have come to the fore," Xiahou Ba said, "Their names are Deng Ai and Zhong Hui."

What is odd is that at the time of Shu's fall, Deng Ai was sixty-seven. Xiahou Ba made that comment in 249, when Deng Ai was fifty-two. Zhong Hui would have been in his twenties but Deng Ai was already an old man for that time. Here's Jiang Wei's reply...

Jiang Wei smiled and rubbing his hands, said, "I don't think those young pups worth our consideration!"

I think Xiahou Ba and Jiang Wei were trying to make a joke. :lol:
It seems like a conversation of 2 stupids.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Noticed something in the novel. Jiang Wei fought Deng Zhong, believing that he was his father, Deng Ai. This leads me to believe, that Jiang Wei (and possibly Xiahou Ba) actually believed Deng Ai to be younger than himself.

Jiang Wei seemed to be quite surprised when Deng Ai told him to stop messing with his son and fight him.

Well, I think Jiang Wei should be quite "embarrassed" instead of "surprised" when he knew he made such an error on his no.1 enemy.
Also, it's not nice to "mess with someone's son." Somehow I think of a scene my uncle chasing my cousin.

Mod Edit (SH): LING TONG ^0^ please don't double post. Use the Edit button in the top corner of your post.
LING_TONG ^0^
Master

Unread postby Wizardman » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:17 am

Stedfel wrote:Noticed something in the novel. Jiang Wei fought Deng Zhong, believing that he was his father, Deng Ai. This leads me to believe, that Jiang Wei (and possibly Xiahou Ba) actually believed Deng Ai to be younger than himself.

That's what I was thinking of. People are bound to mess up ages or peopel at one point, and that 's what Jiang Wei and Xiahou Ba did. IT could also have been that Deng Ai may have looked young for his age. While there's no record that proves that, it is indeed possible.
Huang Zhong: Are you calling me old?!
Wei Yan: ...Yes.
Huang Zhong: Liu Bei! I demand you kill him!
Liu Bei: Well it's... true...
Wizardman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ts'ao Jian » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:38 am

I'm gonna have to agree with Kong Wen. LGZ did change a number of things in the book, so I don't see why he wouldn't change the age of Deng Ai... This is purely opinion, but maybe he wanted the conquest of Shu to be seen as being done more by Jin than by Wei, so he made it appear that Deng and Zhong appear to have taken service after the Sima family took control of Wei. In other words, maybe he wanted them to seem more as Jin generals than Wei generals- in service to the Simas as opposed to the Caos... Just an idea...
Now heroes are men who cherish lofty designs in their bosoms and have plans to achieve them; they have all-embracing schemes, and the whole world is at their mercy. -Ts'ao Ts'ao

Hell is other people. -Tagline of No Exit
Ts'ao Jian
Langzhong

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium