Xiahou Ba's comments on Deng Ai

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Xiahou Ba's comments on Deng Ai

Unread postby Sima Hui » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:03 pm

In chapter 109 of the novel (I think, don't have my copy of SGYY handy! :roll: ), Xiahou Ba talks to Jiang Wei about Deng Ai and Zhong Hui.

"Recently, two young men have come to the fore," Xiahou Ba said, "Their names are Deng Ai and Zhong Hui."

What is odd is that at the time of Shu's fall, Deng Ai was sixty-seven. Xiahou Ba made that comment in 249, when Deng Ai was fifty-two. Zhong Hui would have been in his twenties but Deng Ai was already an old man for that time. Here's Jiang Wei's reply...

Jiang Wei smiled and rubbing his hands, said, "I don't think those young pups worth our consideration!"

Strange, huh? What do you think? :?
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Unread postby Rommel » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:45 pm

Hmmm, it is indeed interesting. Translation errors? I wonder what the original words are. Or Xiahou Ba & Jiang Wei were older than those two guys? young pups? Maybe Xiahou Ba & Jian Wei were OLD pups :lol:
Rommel
Sage

Unread postby Li Ruiyue » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:49 pm

Maybe Deng Ai looked young at first glance? Or maybe Xiahou Ba and Jiang Wei were mocking the two generals in some way?
Li Ruiyue
Innocent Soul

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:22 pm

Maybe 50s were still considered young. Many generals fought in their 50s. Unless you are 20 or so right now, your not going to call a someone who's 50 old. Probably compared to Jiang Wei and Xiahou Ba they were young.
Lu Xun- "After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, I see that he had more failures than success; hence, he is not much of a threat."
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sima Hui » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:41 pm

Actually, according to the novel, at the time Jiang Wei was 45. :shock: I don't know about Xiahou Ba though. :? Although your point is probably correct PM Bu Zhi, it probably wasn't the case for Jiang Wei.
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Unread postby melee » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:17 am

when xiahou ba told jiang wei about two shi,he told about their childhood.
maybe that linked jiang wei to talk so?
or are just words jiang wei despised two shi? :(

master sima hui,why did you know about deng ai's life span?i tried to find it but had no result :cry:
Last edited by melee on Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
melee
Student

Unread postby Six_and_Up » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:53 am

Maybe 50s were still considered young. Many generals fought in their 50s. Unless you are 20 or so right now, your not going to call a someone who's 50 old. Probably compared to Jiang Wei and Xiahou Ba they were young.

I question that logic, since 50 year old generals would be called veterans in m view. Considering how the lifespan of people then was 40-60 years on average (Liu Bei is considered old when he dies 63, Cao Cao preapared for succesion in his 40-50's and Guan Yu before going to Fan makes a comment about generals going past 50 not complaining about dying in battle). 50 year old generals in my opinion would be considered veterans in an army and in no way young.

The comment made by Jiang Wei was probably made more in a sense to the fact that Deng Ai wasn't considered a threat due to the fact that he was unheard of and Jiang Wei not knowing how old Deng Ai was, probably assumed him to be a fairly young general in his 20-30's who had yet to prove himself in battle.
Currently playing: Dragon Quest VIII
Six_and_Up
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:36 pm

I don't think Deng Ai's age is ever explicitly mentioned in the novel; it can only be determined by going to historical sources. Thus, a very simple solution to this issue could be a fictionalization of Deng Ai's age on Luo Guanzhong's part. To make it look like Shu was conquered by a couple of fiesty up-and-comers, he turned Deng Ai and Zhong Hui into young men.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:39 am

There is a rather comical scene in the novel where Jiang Wei chases down a young Wei general and dueled him, thinking that he's fighting Deng Ai, only to find out that it's Deng Ai's son he's fighting. Maybe Jiang Wei was just wrong about Deng's age. There is a little bit of contrast between the supposed young genius Zhong Hui (who's not even forty when Shu fell) and Deng Ai, who is pretty old by then.
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Unread postby Devilrai » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:02 am

When Xiahou Ba and Jiang Wei commented on Deng Ai's age as "young" they could have been meaning young as in a rookie, though I don' think Deng Ai was a rookie. :lol:

Zhong Hui on the other can be considered young since well he is 20, that is a young age.
Devilrai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium