Where were all the great generals?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Where were all the great generals?

Unread postby Jiangji » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:28 am

I always think the book greatly overrated the officer during early RTK era while underrated the later one. For Shu, after 255 the only great general I read from the book is Jiang Wei . For Wu, Ding Feng and Lu Kang. For Wei, Sima Shi and Sima Zhao. Is there any great general that you guys think is great?
Detach from emotions and desires; get rid of any fixations.
Jiangji
Master

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:37 am

Yu Si, Tao Huang and Zhang Ti for Wu. 255, I think Lu Dai was alive, so put him on too. For Shu, Fu Qian definatly, he killed two Wei generals in battle when Wei invaded, and Lou Xian. For Wei, many. Yang Hu, Du Yu, Wang Jun, Deng Ai, Zhong Hui, Chen Tai and much more.
Lu Xun- "After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, I see that he had more failures than success; hence, he is not much of a threat."
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jiangji » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:04 am

PrimeMinister Bu Zhi wrote:Yu Si, Tao Huang and Zhang Ti for Wu. 255, I think Lu Dai was alive, so put him on too. For Shu, Fu Qian definatly, he killed two Wei generals in battle when Wei invaded, and Lou Xian. For Wei, many. Yang Hu, Du Yu, Wang Jun, Deng Ai, Zhong Hui, Chen Tai and much more.

Oh ya, I forget Deng Ai and Zhong Hui. However, they both killed shortly after Shu fall. Yu Si and Tao Huang wasn't that famous and great compare to the previous general of Wu. I think Ding Feng is the greatest general after Lu Xun death.
Jiangji
Master

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:15 am

Lu Kang is.
Lu Xun- "After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, I see that he had more failures than success; hence, he is not much of a threat."
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jiangji » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:46 am

PrimeMinister Bu Zhi wrote:Lu Kang is.

When did he died ?
Jiangji
Master

Unread postby Jon » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:48 am

I'm not sure, but my guess is 274.
Jon
Ladies' Man

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:12 am

After Ding Feng. He was better anyway. Go to Kongming's arhcives boards and read the Lu Xun/Lu Kang rely. Find info on Kang. Or you can go to ED's historic bio on him.
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:46 am

The fact that the later generals were all like lower-quality mirrors of the earlier generals was part of Luo Guanzhong's artistic design for the novel. I think it's meant to reflect the stagnation that took place as time went on and the Three Kingdoms consolidated their power. Among other things.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:49 am

In the SGZ, the reason for later generals being worse is easy:

Chen Shou was alive in the Jin-Wu wars. Information on many generals of the time may not have been available, while the generals who died before Chen Shou was born, probably have a lot of info that he has access too.
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium