Jiang Wei, Deng Ai, and Lu Kang

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Jiang Wei, Deng Ai, and Lu Kang

Unread postby Jimayo » Tue Jun 18, 2002 5:22 am

These three are my three favorite generals from the Three Kingdoms. All three were skilled warriors, but depended on their leadership skills much more than brute strength. I would like to hear your opinions on these talented strategists.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Tue Jun 18, 2002 5:34 am

I would rank the 3 in this order:

1) Deng Ai
2) Lu Kang
3) ...
4) ...
10) Jiang Wei
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Unread postby Zhang Liao17 » Tue Jun 18, 2002 5:37 am

Jiang Wei- I liked him a lot. Most say he was worthless because he never accomplished anything but he was loyal and skilled as a warrior and strategist.

Deng Ai-You gotta love the guy. He comes from a humble background and turns into a great leader. I thought he was even more skilled than Jiang Wei.

Lu Kang-He seemed skilled but the novel didn't talk about him much. If I read his SGZ bio I could say more.
"Death is but death, and why are you scared at it?"-Zhang Liao
Zhang Liao17
Supreme Commander of Wei Forces

Unread postby Jimayo » Tue Jun 18, 2002 5:47 am

I think the fact that it wasn't until he was drawn from being the commander that Jin attacked says worlds about Lu Kang's skill.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Dennis » Tue Jun 18, 2002 6:32 am

All those three are the tops! :D

I would say that Deng Ai is the best though, he was super talented, and not conceited like Jiang Wei seemed to be. I felt super-sorry for him at the end of the novel when he was ummm... BLEARGH!
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Unread postby Anshi » Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:58 am

Great Deer wrote:I would rank the 3 in this order:

1) Deng Ai
2) Lu Kang
3) ...
4) ...
10) Jiang Wei

I could not have said it better myself.
Anshi
Refined Literati Emperor

Unread postby Han Xin » Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:50 am

Great Deer wrote:I would rank the 3 in this order:

1) Deng Ai
2) Lu Kang
3) ...
4) ...
10) Jiang Wei

Then who would you put from 3 to 9?

As for me, Deng Ai was brilliant during the later RTK period. Lu Kang I have absolutely no idea about except for the stuff in SGYY (I don't know how accurate it is). Jiang Wei only won a few minor skirmished but lost every major fight he ever lead and usually suffer more casualties than his opponents. So I don't really rate Jiang Wei that highly...
Han Xin
Shu Emperor

Unread postby Jimayo » Tue Jun 18, 2002 11:32 am

Han Xin wrote:Then who would you put from 3 to 9?

As for me, Deng Ai was brilliant during the later RTK period. Lu Kang I have absolutely no idea about except for the stuff in SGYY (I don't know how accurate it is). Jiang Wei only won a few minor skirmished but lost every major fight he ever lead and usually suffer more casualties than his opponents. So I don't really rate Jiang Wei that highly...

Ahhh, but I don't consider Jiang Wei to be one of the great C-in-C of the three kingdoms, but he was a very talented general. And with the right leadership giving him direction, could have gone very far.
Jimayo

Unread postby Harimau » Tue Jun 18, 2002 12:44 pm

Han Xin wrote:Then who would you put from 3 to 9?

Heh give me proof then that Lu Kang actually won some battles before writing off jiang Wei. :evil:
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:20 pm

Nandezx wrote:Heh give me proof then that Lu Kang actually won some battles before writing off jiang Wei. :evil:

In 257 A.D., Lu Kang was appointed as the commander overseeing Chai Sang and he defeated Wei's Pian Jiang Jun at Shou Chun. In 272 A.D., Lu Kang quelled a major rebellion (at Xi Ling). Subsequently, Lu Kang defeated the Wei's reinforcement led by the formidable Yang Gu. He was responsible for the defence of Jing Zhou, one of the most important battle front between Jin and Wu. Instead of implementing policies or actions (useless battles) that were taxing on the people, Lu Kang was known to care for the people. Despite of Wu being surrounded by Jin, Lu Kang managed to keep the ball alive by adopting constructive policies and shrewd defence tactics.

Perhaps you can enlighten us on how Jiang Wei had contributed to Shu.
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium