SGYY Events? “In a Plum Garden, Cao Cao Discusses Heroes”

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby James » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:58 pm

It can be anything—not just things I have a picture of. I can also use portraits for various events as well, or make my own little banners if I’ve got enough time to play around with. Basically, anything I make myself, or that someone sends to me, I’ll put online, image or not.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:00 am

Might I inquire as to your exact method of compiling such an Event Bio? Are they a lot of transcribing/cutting&pasting, or a lot of original narrative, etc? Just so anyone who may be interested in writing one can have a frame of reference to create their own.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby James » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:17 am

There are a few things that are required:

1) Event Title
2) Chapter(s)
3) Year(s) of event.
4) An introduction. The introduction should provide the reader with all the background they need in order to understand what is happening in the event itself. It should be written with a reader that has never read the novel in mind, though excessive elaboration is not required. A flare for writing is welcome here, ala normal storytelling, as long as it does not leave the boundaries of the novel itself.
5) The event, as far as I am concerned, can be created one of two ways. If the person wishes, they can copy it from threekingdoms.com, but if they do this the whole text must be authentic to threekingdoms.com, and additions or corrections should be included as normal in literature [for example, and added comment]. If not done that way, it can be done like the SGYY biographies, a completely author-written work from start to finish drawing on multiple editions of the book and other relevant commentaries—also giving the author more narrative freedom. I will not accept copies of Moss Roberts’ translation. Author comments are welcome in both cases.
6) Which method, as shown above, was used (affects copyright and credits).
7) An afterword. It should tie up the events which were covered in the event itself, and perhaps brush up on various things the reader might have been interested in. Major characters might also get some extra commentary here, regarding their futures in relation to the event listed itself. The event and introduction are always hand written by the author.

If the author already has work on KMA, that’s all I need.
If the author does not, I need the name and email(i/a) which is to be credited as well.

It is actually wonderful how easy these things are to toss together.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:23 am

Why do you accept copied text from the online version, but not from MR's version, out of curiosity?
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:26 am

Kong Wen wrote:Why do you accept copied text from the online version, but not from MR's version, out of curiosity?

Probably because if you copy and paste directly from the online text, you will get the exact text, whereas with transcribing there is always the possibility of error, and you wouldn't want to display something as coming from RoTK unless it is correct.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby James » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:43 am

The actual answer is anticipated copyright concerns. I imagine there is a good chance the book publisher might be grumbly about it, and I’m not sure I want to deal with that right now even though it is fair use in this context. I wouldn’t mind advice and thoughts on that matter though. These concerns I do not anticipate from threekingdoms.com because we can share a lot in return with each other, and because the text is already published online and properly referenced.

Snagging Moss Roberts notes and block quotes (like poems and what not) is so far within the boundaries of fair use that I do not care what people think—as long as the elements are properly attributed.

Maybe someone who is very familiar with those aspects of fair use, relative to using the Moss Roberts text, can offer further insight. What Adrian mentioned is a concern as well, and I should certainly hope that whatever someone did submit from a work such as that would be properly prepared.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby robbyjo » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:33 am

James,

I'm wondering if you also put notes on how the events differ from the actual history? Thanks.

The two new additions are nice. :)

-- Rob
:mrgreen:
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:23 am

robbyjo wrote:I'm wondering if you also put notes on how the events differ from the actual history? Thanks.

I do, yes, but they are not required for making these critters. For example, in the Peach Garden event, I have a note basically pointing out that the whole thing never really happened, though it has still managed to become so popular that it did find its way into historical works. Basically, whenever I stumble across a point that leaves me with something more to say, I add a note.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby robbyjo » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:43 am

James,

For Oath In Peach Garden, I noticed spelling: "Quin Zhengsheng" in the first footnote. Isn't it supposed to read "Qin Zhengsheng"? Also at the same footnote, the phrase "his face in a spring, and ..." should have no commas in it.

-- Rob
:mrgreen:
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:10 pm

robbyjo wrote:Also at the same footnote, the phrase "his face in a spring, and ..." should have no commas in it.

Commas are largely discretionary.

Re: the Moss Roberts issue. As long as the source is properly attributed (i.e. marking out exactly what passages were quoted from the text), I don't see why it wouldn't be alright. It's just like long quotations in essays. I don't know if the fact that the text will appear on the internet matters or not.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium