Zhuge liang - a military strategist

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Jimayo » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:50 am

Jiangji wrote:Doesn't that he being assasinated in 203?


It was Sun Yu. Surprise I got Yi and Yu messed up. There's just too many suns.

Jiangji wrote:There is no mention of them being trained in naval battle. Also, not all of Liu biao are trained in naval battle. I assume only fraction of them are trained for it.


Funny, considering how many battles were fought off Jiang Xia between Liu Biao and Sun Quan. Clearly Liu Biao's troops were untrained in naval warfare. Makes sense to me.

Jiangji wrote:At first Sun Quan wanted to be a king serving the Wei dynasty under Cao Pi . However, he can't make a deal and realized that Wei motives.


That's a half truth at best. Sun Quan accepted the title of King of Wu from Wei, then refused to send his eldest son to the Wei court, as was the custom for a regional King not of royal blood.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells
 
Posts: 3308
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:38 am
Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Jiangji » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:02 am

Jimayo Oyamitch wrote:It was Sun Yu. Surprise I got Yi and Yu messed up. There's just too many suns.


I never seem to have read that sun yu personally lead the army to attack Yizhou. I could have been wrong.
Detach from emotions and desires; get rid of any fixations.
User avatar
Jiangji
Master
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:15 am
Location: Canada

Unread postby Jimayo » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:15 am

Jiangji wrote:I never seem to have read that sun yu personally lead the army to attack Yizhou. I could have been wrong.


That account is there. I've personally dismissed(based mainly on my own logic and the arguments against such a plan that rafe makes).
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells
 
Posts: 3308
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:38 am
Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Rommel » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:56 pm

Damn my three day weekend ended so soon :(

Before Liu Bei hired ZGL, ZGL lived in basically secluded life. I am curious, how did ZGL gather information in China without TV, Internet, or telephone? Every news/rumor travelled to his villiage were few months/years old. How could ZGL use those out-of-dated info to determine/evaluate the change/situation in China? How did he know that Liu Bei was the one who he should help? How did he foresee the formation of three kingdoms with limited information?

P.S.: Is Jiangji the same one who I debated with last week? I dont remember that you have a picture under your name :lol: The picture looks cool (a handsome guy)
Rommel
Sage
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:57 pm

Unread postby Jiangji » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:28 pm

Rommel wrote:Damn my three day weekend ended so soon :(

Before Liu Bei hired ZGL, ZGL lived in basically secluded life. I am curious, how did ZGL gather information in China without TV, Internet, or telephone? Every news/rumor travelled to his villiage were few months/years old. How could ZGL use those out-of-dated info to determine/evaluate the change/situation in China? How did he know that Liu Bei was the one who he should help? How did he foresee the formation of three kingdoms with limited information?

P.S.: Is Jiangji the same one who I debated with last week? I dont remember that you have a picture under your name :lol: The picture looks cool (a handsome guy)


Zhuge Liang make friend with all these guys: Shi Guang Yuan, Xu Yuan Zhi (Xu Shu), Meng Gong Wei, Sima Hui and Pang Tong. They could have give him valuable information. I am jianji. The Picture is Zhuge Liang taken from a game.
Detach from emotions and desires; get rid of any fixations.
User avatar
Jiangji
Master
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:15 am
Location: Canada

Unread postby Rommel » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:16 pm

Jiangji I knew that ZGL made friends with those people. However those people were kinda scholars. They didn't travel around fastly (I dont think that their body could handle it physically anyway). Let me give you an example to explain what I am trying to say. They witnessed an event or picked up an important news in Lou Yang and wanted to share with ZGL. It would take them months to travel to ZGL's place. Things changed fast. Once they had chance to meet (remember ZGL was hard to find) they might talk about something out-of-dated. Or another example when someone heard that Cao Cao launched a northern campaign against northern tribes. By the time when ZGL got the news Cao Cao had redirected his army toward south. I am curious how ZGL predicted based on out-of-dated information. Besides, news might be twisted/distorted.

Jiangji ZGL's does have a handsome face in the game :)
Rommel
Sage
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:57 pm

Unread postby Jiangji » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:36 pm

Rommel wrote:Jiangji I knew that ZGL made friends with those people. However those people were kinda scholars. They didn't travel around fastly (I dont think that their body could handle it physically anyway). Let me give you an example to explain what I am trying to say. They witnessed an event or picked up an important news in Lou Yang and wanted to share with ZGL. It would take them months to travel to ZGL's place. Things changed fast. Once they had chance to meet (remember ZGL was hard to find) they might talk about something out-of-dated. Or another example when someone heard that Cao Cao launched a northern campaign against northern tribes. By the time when ZGL got the news Cao Cao had redirected his army toward south. I am curious how ZGL predicted based on out-of-dated information. Besides, news might be twisted/distorted.

Jiangji ZGL's does have a handsome face in the game :)


These people travel aound China quite often. ZGL himself also move several time. I think these people have quite a relation with certain official and was well respected . So, they may get valuable information. ZGL could get something from anywhere . I am not too sure
Detach from emotions and desires; get rid of any fixations.
User avatar
Jiangji
Master
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:15 am
Location: Canada

Unread postby Jimayo » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:21 pm

Jiangji wrote:These people travel aound China quite often. ZGL himself also move several time. I think these people have quite a relation with certain official and was well respected . So, they may get valuable information. ZGL could get something from anywhere . I am not too sure


He wasn't even secluded all that long. His uncle served Yuan Shu, and ZL was there with him(his uncle being he guardian).
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells
 
Posts: 3308
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:38 am
Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Jiangji » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:26 pm

Jimayo Oyamitch wrote:
Jiangji wrote:These people travel aound China quite often. ZGL himself also move several time. I think these people have quite a relation with certain official and was well respected . So, they may get valuable information. ZGL could get something from anywhere . I am not too sure


He wasn't even secluded all that long. His uncle served Yuan Shu, and ZL was there with him(his uncle being he guardian).


Zhuge Liang followed his uncle to Yu Zhang and then move to jingzhou and joined Liu Biao. After his uncle died, he stay at long zhong.
Detach from emotions and desires; get rid of any fixations.
User avatar
Jiangji
Master
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:15 am
Location: Canada

Unread postby Six_and_Up » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:37 am

Well to answer Rommel sure information didn't travel fast, but the important stuff got through quickly. Being a scholar i'm sure Zhuge Liang had some contacts with government officials. Liu Biao would've been kept up to date with the lastest news from the north and from there news would filter down to Zhuge Liang. Besides Jingzhou would've probably gotten the news faster than either the riverlands or Wu. Remember that Jingzhou was where the three kingdoms came to a crossroads.
Currently playing: Dragon Quest VIII
User avatar
Six_and_Up
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 901
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Sydney Australia

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved