Pang De SGYY bio

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Morg » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:46 pm

Blue Moon Samurai wrote:Great biography Morg on Pang De.

Thank you very much :D

But no offense to Ma Chao but while you were writing this biography on Pang De you kind of made Ma Chao look weak by Pang De and Ma Dai always helping him, though this is not Ma Chao's biography. :wink:

Nice bio. Morg.

The problem is that Ma Chao usually led the attack with Pang De and Ma Dai in reserve; therefore if Ma Chao was successful, Pang De wouldn't see action and therefore the event doesn't make it into Pang De's bio. If Pang De did fight, then it was usually because Ma Chao needed aid and that does make Ma Chao look weak. Some of the big victories at Tong Pass were scored by Ma Chao's army alone (without Han Sui, Pang De or Ma Dai) but I couldn't include them because they weren't really relevant. When Ma Chao confronted Han Sui, he killed either 2 or 3 generals and I did include it all in the original draft of the bio, but then I realised that there were two paragraphs where Pang De wasn't mentioned at all and had to remove them ;)

To be fair, Ma Dai did an awful lot of impressive deeds but I couldn't include those either. I didn't realise until I wrote this bio that Ma Dai defeated and injured Wei Yan in a duel.

So, I assure you that I didn't deliberately try to make Ma Chao look weak :)
"If you do not turn your back on me, I shall not on you." - Cao Cao to Pang De
Morg
The Man

Unread postby Kuan P'ing » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:17 am

Pang De IS my favorite Wei general. i'm glad I finnally got the whole sory about him too. Anyway, I think he says one of the greatest quotes ever. i use it all the time actually (wether it fits the context of the conversation or not :lol: ) It's my signature.
Kuan P'ing
Changshi

Unread postby James » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:12 pm

Mesmerising? European English?
Signalling = Signaling?
Manoeuver: is that correct? Obviously European English comes into play.

Pang De: http://kongming.net/novel/sgyy/pangde.php
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Morg » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:54 pm

James wrote:Mesmerising? European English?
Signalling = Signaling?
Manoeuver: is that correct? Obviously European English comes into play.

Yep, European/Canadian English at it's best :D However, signaling shows up as incorrect in my spell checker when I spell it with 2 ls...even when set to use a US dictionary. Both forms are apparently acceptable though:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=signal

Manoeuver is another one of those words that American English removes a letter from to make it easier to spell, like haemophilia ;)
Morg
The Man

Unread postby James » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:11 pm

Goofy European English… users…
I need to find a really good reference for the differences online. So I can finally learn the general gist of them. At least I’m getting good at looking at them now and thinking to myself, ‘That looks like European English…’
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Morg » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:48 pm

The two big things that will come up in bios written by myself, Lady Wu or anyone who doesn't live in the US will be extra 'u's in words (honour, colour etc) and the use of 's' instead of 'z' (realise, memorise etc).

<a href="http://esl.about.com/library/weekly/aa110698.htm">This site</a> should give you some ideas. About halfway down the page it gets a lot more useful as it starts to cover spelling changes.

Kinda on topic, I've got 3 bios in the pipeline which should all be done by the end of next week; one of which is a collaboration with another member of SOSZ. If anyone has any requests (or if KMA is having particular requests) then now is a good time to let me know.
Morg
The Man

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:07 pm

James wrote:Goofy European English… users… [...] ‘That looks like European English…’

For the sake of reference, it is "International English" whereas American is just plain American English. We Canadians would resent being excluded from the ranks of sane English users. :)

James, if you are ever in doubt, you should use an OED (Oxford English Dictionary). It should list all words in International English, with the American variants listed as variants. When you look up the American variant, it usually says something like "U.S. var. of _________"
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium