Did Cao Cao really attempt to assassinate Dong Zhuo?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Did Cao Cao really attempt to assassinate Dong Zhuo?

Unread postby Rommel » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:43 pm

In SGYY, Cao Cao tried to assassinate Dong Zhuo but failed. In history did it really happen? If it was true why did Cao Cao risk his life to do so? What if Cao Cao succeeded? Would Lu Bu inherited Dong Zhuo's power & Li Ru became Lu Bu's advisor?
Rommel
Sage

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:17 pm

Why would Lu Bu succed. He isn't even Dong Zhou's real son. Cao Cao will probably succed his army. The emperor will find some way to reward him at least. When Lu Bu killed Dong Zhou, he took over Dong Zhou's forces, though he was defeated. But same thing might happen with Cao Cao. Except he is a bit better so he may not be defeated.
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sima Hui » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:20 pm

I disagree. Do you really think Dong Zhuo's subordinates would be happy serving the man who murdered their lord? Li Jue, Li Ru and Lu Bu would probably plot against Cao Cao. And Lu Bu would have killed Cao Cao before it even got to that stage.
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Unread postby Cao Zhi » Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:45 am

I agree with Sima Hui, though Cao Cao would have likely fled after killing Dong than stay and face a slew of angry Dong loyalists. In any case, Cao Cao would not have become the head of Dong Zhuo's army, even if he stayed. Dong Min might have taken Dong Zhuo's mantle though, unless Lu Bu staged a coup or something.
"To the meaningless French idealisms of Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity, we oppose the German realisms of Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery."
- Prince Bernhard von Bulow, German Chancellor 1900-09 (attrib.)
Cao Zhi
Princely Poet of Wei

Unread postby King_Ilze » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:22 am

The only way Lu Bu would have taken over Dong Zhuo's army is if he had a lot of support or he took the credit for the assasination, which would be unlikely.

On the other hand, Cao Cao wouldnt take over the army because no Dong-supporter would serve the man who assasinated their hero. I would guess that Dong Min would probably succeed the power.
When one can find oneself then one can avoid regret.
King_Ilze
Assistant

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:27 am

Now that I think about it, Cao Cao will do the exact same thing he did in the book; Run away to escape punishment and start an army to destroy the remainder of Dong Zhou's forces. Well you guys can debate this. I personally really don't know enough about the incident to count myself in.
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Wizardman » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:42 am

I doubt that Cao Cao would've gotten away with assassinating Dong Zhuo. Yes, he'd be a hero to some (i.e. Zhang Fei), but the Dogn zhuo loyalists would be after him. Since he had few troops and officers at the time, it would've resulted in his death.
Huang Zhong: Are you calling me old?!
Wei Yan: ...Yes.
Huang Zhong: Liu Bei! I demand you kill him!
Liu Bei: Well it's... true...
Wizardman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhang Liao17 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:28 am

Wizardman wrote:but the Dogn zhuo loyalists would be after him. Since he had few troops and officers at the time, it would've resulted in his death.

In the novel, Dong Zhuo and his men are still after Cao Cao because they realize he tried to assassinate him, but he was able to get away. At first through his own guile saying he needed to try out the horse and then afterwards by the good will of Chen Gong. I highly doubt that if Dong Zhuo couldn't capture Cao Cao while alive, his followers wouldn't have any luck either. Had Cao Cao succeeded in killing Dong Zhuo there is a high chance he would have not gotten away seeing as how Lu Bu entered the room as he was bringing down the knife. If he killed Dong Zhuo he would have had to deal with Lu Bu and wouldn't have been able to get to his horse, let alone have it saddled and be able to leave.

Anyway, If Cao Cao escapes the city gates, essentially he'll do the same thing he did in the novel, except Dong Zhuo's forces will probably bicker amongst themselves for who should succeed and could destroy themselves, thus canceling the coalition formation. If he succeeds in killing Dong Zhuo, he probably won't make it out of the city alive unless he is able to scheme his way out of it, which would be quite tough.
"Death is but death, and why are you scared at it?"-Zhang Liao
Zhang Liao17
Supreme Commander of Wei Forces

Unread postby Antiochus » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:35 pm

Sima Hui said
I disagree. Do you really think Dong Zhuo's subordinates would be happy serving the man who murdered their lord? Li Jue, Li Ru and Lu Bu would probably plot against Cao Cao. And Lu Bu would have killed Cao Cao before it even got to that stage.

I disagry, Cao Cao is much more carefull than Dong Zhuo. Many people tried to assasinate Cao Cao, but all failed badly. He would probably just kill Li Ru, Lu Bu and Li Jue and remplace them by some of his own officer. Then, he might just have done the same things then he did in reality, or a coalition force could be created to take him down, it is hard to say.
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sky Scorcher » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:30 pm

Cao Cao's personality also changed on the situation he was in. He was very cautious during the Yellow Turban Rebellion and the allied campaign against Dong Zhuo, yet he was reckless later on during the battles of Chang Ban and Red Cliffs. This fact comes into mind when thinking what approach he took.
Sky Scorcher
Assistant

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium