Zhao Yun's wife

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Zhao Yun's wife

Unread postby ZhangBaihu » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:47 am

In Chapter 52 of the SGYY, when Zhao Yun captures Guiyang in southern Jing province, the governor Zhao Fan offers him his sister-in-law to take as a wife. Zhao Yun refuses citing he cannot marry his sworn brother's sister-in-law since she is now his sister-in-law. Liu Bei commends him for his chivalrous chastity, and there is no further mention of Zhao Yun's family in the book....

UNTIL Chapter 97 where we see Zhao Yun's sons Zhao Tong, and Zhao Guang.

Coincidentally, the elder son seems to have been born about ONE YEAR after Zhao Yun captured Guiyang. Does anyone know if there are any records that might say indicate whether or not Zhao Yun did in fact marry Zhao Fan's sister-in-law? It seems to be quite a coincidence that the only mention of Zhao Yun and a woman in the SGYY takes place roughly 9 months before his first son is born.
ZhangBaihu
Initiate

Unread postby Sima Hui » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:35 am

Hmm, interesting. However, I don't think he did marry her. People had one than one wife then if they were rich and I imagine that Zhao Yun would have been fairly well off. So, it's probably just a coincidence.
Last edited by Sima Hui on Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Unread postby Wizardman » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:50 am

Hmm.. very interesting find. Prehaps Zhao Fan's sister-in-law was a concubine for Zhao Yun? Although I doubt it. Perhaps there was simply a different woman who appeared in his life at that time. It could even be another hidden reason why Zhao Yun refused Fan's sister-in-law.
Huang Zhong: Are you calling me old?!
Wei Yan: ...Yes.
Huang Zhong: Liu Bei! I demand you kill him!
Liu Bei: Well it's... true...
Wizardman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Six_and_Up » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:06 am

Theres no way to know who Zhao Yun married. Women were not important then and i doubt Zhao Yun was high enough to be married to a woman who came from a prestigous family anyway. Chances are that by that time he already had a wife or a woman who could give birth to his childern.
Currently playing: Dragon Quest VIII
Six_and_Up
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby King_Ilze » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:20 pm

That's quite interesting. I'm guessing that Zhao Yun's children were born to a concubine. Or, his wife just wasnt important enough to be mentioned. Zhao Yun wasnt really viewed that highly either so they probably didnt bother to mention his marriage.
When one can find oneself then one can avoid regret.
King_Ilze
Assistant

Unread postby ZhangBaihu » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:37 am

It's interesting because Zhao Yun tells Liu Bei he has no interest in women or starting a family, as he dedicates himself 100% to his liege. And then one year later he has a child. So whether or not the Zhao Fan's sister-in-law, and Zhao Yun's chastity were dramatic license, at about the time Zhao Yun conquered Guiyang he coincidentally started his own family.

Something happened to him around this time.
ZhangBaihu
Initiate

Unread postby goldenchild » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:53 pm

some say he was married to ma chao's sister as a sign of loyalty to shu.
goldenchild
Assistant

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:10 pm

goldenchild wrote:some say he was married to ma chao's sister as a sign of loyalty to shu.

I think that's just a folktale some people believe. Ma Chao states that his entire clan was executed my Cao Cao save himself and Ma Dai. It's unlikely that he would have neglected to mention a sister.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Asellas » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:20 pm

Actually, it could be very likely as women weren't really mentioned. Ok, Diao Chao (fictional name) or the maid were known, but that's because she was the main "catalyst" in the plot to kill Dong Zhuo. Zhen Ji had a little fame, but only because of beauty (though why she married Cao Pi I don't know - I'd have been a far better man for her). I am sure there were other buties, much like Sun Ce and Zhou Yu's wives but they were known only because they were daughters of Qiao Xuan.
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby goldenchild » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:14 am

it might be a folk tale but thats all ive ever heard as far as zhao yun with a woman.
goldenchild
Assistant

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium