Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby Kongde » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:57 pm

This is pure speculation, but how do you think ancients of the time would feel if they heard any music from today's time (50s to today)? Since electricity wasnt a thing, minus electric guitars which would be acoustic instead. Do you think it would exclusively be a Noble's activity, or would it be common? Would it be accepted, or would it be too radical? What about Classical music?

Just a fun hypothetical question
?-Kongde-?
Kongde
Initiate

Unread postby Li_Shengsun » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:30 pm

Ive been wondering myself and pretty curious. Some history of Three Kingdom does mention about Qiao Zhou's prophecies. Theres also mention he wrote and hang them on the pillar. What is the content of his prophecies is?
Everyone has flaws. It's a matter of finding the ones you can live with.
Li_Shengsun
Student

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:54 pm

Li_Shengsun wrote:Ive been wondering myself and pretty curious. Some history of Three Kingdom does mention about Qiao Zhou's prophecies. Theres also mention he wrote and hang them on the pillar. What is the content of his prophecies is?

I'm not aware of any being hung from a pillar. The prophecies I'm aware of

1) Any role he had in the "please oh great Liu Bei, become Emperor we beseech you as do the Heavens" (not an actual quote :wink: )

2) Liu Bei and Liu Shan's names (Bei meant complete and Shan meant to give away) means the Liu had already completed their rule and going to give it to another.

3) Tree within palace falls over so Qiao Zhou wrote upon the tree stump (this may be the one being referred to?) "Multitudinous and great, the time has come, completed and giving away, how can it be restored." Multitudinous and great both referred to the name Cao, the complete and give away from the Liu names, was also a reference to his teacher Du Qiong and Zhou Shu's earlier prophecies

4) I'm going to die Chen Shou, we shall not meet again
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Li_Shengsun » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:55 am

Dong Zhou wrote:
Li_Shengsun wrote:Ive been wondering myself and pretty curious. Some history of Three Kingdom does mention about Qiao Zhou's prophecies. Theres also mention he wrote and hang them on the pillar. What is the content of his prophecies is?

I'm not aware of any being hung from a pillar. The prophecies I'm aware of

1) Any role he had in the "please oh great Liu Bei, become Emperor we beseech you as do the Heavens" (not an actual quote :wink: )

2) Liu Bei and Liu Shan's names (Bei meant complete and Shan meant to give away) means the Liu had already completed their rule and going to give it to another.

3) Tree within palace falls over so Qiao Zhou wrote upon the tree stump (this may be the one being referred to?) "Multitudinous and great, the time has come, completed and giving away, how can it be restored." Multitudinous and great both referred to the name Cao, the complete and give away from the Liu names, was also a reference to his teacher Du Qiong and Zhou Shu's earlier prophecies

4) I'm going to die Chen Shou, we shall not meet again

ah, yea tree stump!

Eh? wasnt that Du and Zhou's prophecies? which mean Qiao Zhou just simply rewrote the prophecies from his teachers?
Li_Shengsun
Student

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:57 pm

I think more Qiao Zhou built on them and argued their prophesy was related to now, Qiao Zhou did credit them and play down the credit but figures in Shu credited Qiao Zhou.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Li_Shengsun » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:47 am

Dong Zhou wrote:I think more Qiao Zhou built on them and argued their prophesy was related to now, Qiao Zhou did credit them and play down the credit but figures in Shu credited Qiao Zhou.

i see....
Li_Shengsun
Student

Unread postby Li_Shengsun » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:45 pm

this place gets quieter nowadays :|
Li_Shengsun
Student

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:22 pm

It happens. I only weigh in when there's a topic that interests me. Other than that I'm active in the discord generally yelling about how I hate Sima Yi.
"Looking at Zhong Hui is like viewing an armory, one sees only spears and lances"
— Pei Kai
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
DaoLunOfShiji
Scholar

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:32 pm

Li_Shengsun wrote:this place gets quieter nowadays :|

It happens, we go in phases but a lot of people like myself and Sun Fin are around if anyone posts something. Also now with tumblr 3k community, some of the action has moved there
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:44 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
Li_Shengsun wrote:this place gets quieter nowadays :|

It happens, we go in phases but a lot of people like myself and Sun Fin are around if anyone posts something. Also now with tumblr 3k community, some of the action has moved there

Always!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium