Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby Kongde » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:57 pm

This is pure speculation, but how do you think ancients of the time would feel if they heard any music from today's time (50s to today)? Since electricity wasnt a thing, minus electric guitars which would be acoustic instead. Do you think it would exclusively be a Noble's activity, or would it be common? Would it be accepted, or would it be too radical? What about Classical music?

Just a fun hypothetical question
?-Kongde-?
User avatar
Kongde
Initiate
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:59 am

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby Li_Shengsun » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:30 pm

Ive been wondering myself and pretty curious. Some history of Three Kingdom does mention about Qiao Zhou's prophecies. Theres also mention he wrote and hang them on the pillar. What is the content of his prophecies is?
Everyone has flaws. It's a matter of finding the ones you can live with.
User avatar
Li_Shengsun
Student
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:35 am

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:54 pm

Li_Shengsun wrote:Ive been wondering myself and pretty curious. Some history of Three Kingdom does mention about Qiao Zhou's prophecies. Theres also mention he wrote and hang them on the pillar. What is the content of his prophecies is?


I'm not aware of any being hung from a pillar. The prophecies I'm aware of

1) Any role he had in the "please oh great Liu Bei, become Emperor we beseech you as do the Heavens" (not an actual quote :wink: )

2) Liu Bei and Liu Shan's names (Bei meant complete and Shan meant to give away) means the Liu had already completed their rule and going to give it to another.

3) Tree within palace falls over so Qiao Zhou wrote upon the tree stump (this may be the one being referred to?) "Multitudinous and great, the time has come, completed and giving away, how can it be restored." Multitudinous and great both referred to the name Cao, the complete and give away from the Liu names, was also a reference to his teacher Du Qiong and Zhou Shu's earlier prophecies

4) I'm going to die Chen Shou, we shall not meet again
User avatar
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou
 
Posts: 17116
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:32 pm
Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby Li_Shengsun » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:55 am

Dong Zhou wrote:
Li_Shengsun wrote:Ive been wondering myself and pretty curious. Some history of Three Kingdom does mention about Qiao Zhou's prophecies. Theres also mention he wrote and hang them on the pillar. What is the content of his prophecies is?


I'm not aware of any being hung from a pillar. The prophecies I'm aware of

1) Any role he had in the "please oh great Liu Bei, become Emperor we beseech you as do the Heavens" (not an actual quote :wink: )

2) Liu Bei and Liu Shan's names (Bei meant complete and Shan meant to give away) means the Liu had already completed their rule and going to give it to another.

3) Tree within palace falls over so Qiao Zhou wrote upon the tree stump (this may be the one being referred to?) "Multitudinous and great, the time has come, completed and giving away, how can it be restored." Multitudinous and great both referred to the name Cao, the complete and give away from the Liu names, was also a reference to his teacher Du Qiong and Zhou Shu's earlier prophecies

4) I'm going to die Chen Shou, we shall not meet again


ah, yea tree stump!

Eh? wasnt that Du and Zhou's prophecies? which mean Qiao Zhou just simply rewrote the prophecies from his teachers?
Everyone has flaws. It's a matter of finding the ones you can live with.
User avatar
Li_Shengsun
Student
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:35 am

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:57 pm

I think more Qiao Zhou built on them and argued their prophesy was related to now, Qiao Zhou did credit them and play down the credit but figures in Shu credited Qiao Zhou.
User avatar
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou
 
Posts: 17116
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:32 pm
Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby Li_Shengsun » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:47 am

Dong Zhou wrote:I think more Qiao Zhou built on them and argued their prophesy was related to now, Qiao Zhou did credit them and play down the credit but figures in Shu credited Qiao Zhou.


i see....
Everyone has flaws. It's a matter of finding the ones you can live with.
User avatar
Li_Shengsun
Student
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:35 am

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby Li_Shengsun » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:45 pm

this place gets quieter nowadays :|
Everyone has flaws. It's a matter of finding the ones you can live with.
User avatar
Li_Shengsun
Student
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:35 am

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:22 pm

It happens. I only weigh in when there's a topic that interests me. Other than that I'm active in the discord generally yelling about how I hate Sima Yi.
"Looking at Zhong Hui is like viewing an armory, one sees only spears and lances"
— Pei Kai
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
User avatar
DaoLunOfShiji
Scholar
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:26 pm
Location: "A genius like Cao Zhi, as martial as Cao Cao."

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:32 pm

Li_Shengsun wrote:this place gets quieter nowadays :|


It happens, we go in phases but a lot of people like myself and Sun Fin are around if anyone posts something. Also now with tumblr 3k community, some of the action has moved there
User avatar
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou
 
Posts: 17116
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:32 pm
Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:44 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
Li_Shengsun wrote:this place gets quieter nowadays :|


It happens, we go in phases but a lot of people like myself and Sun Fin are around if anyone posts something. Also now with tumblr 3k community, some of the action has moved there


Always!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
User avatar
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 7771
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:20 pm
Location: Vicar Factory

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved