Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby Kongde » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:05 am

PeanutButterToast wrote:What was drug use like back in the Three Kingdoms time period? Was it illegal or just frowned upon? Or did anyone really care? Did any notable officers in the era use them?

Hemp was quite common among the Han Dynasty. It was used for rope and was the main textile cloth for peasants of the time. In some cases, it wasn't uncommon for peasant farmers to eat the Hemp seeds. Furthermore, they also recognized the medicinal benefits of cannabis, with the earliest mention being in 2,000 BC. Hua Tuo, the famous physician of his time in the Three Kingdoms era who was recognized for his incredible medicinal skills of the time, supposedly used cannabis as an anesthetic by possibly using wine to concentrate the active compounds. He likely used a large amount of it, too, to get the anesthetic effect. Recreationally speaking, the use of cannabis does not appear to be used much, at least recorded. However, this does not mean that this did not exist. Though, I personally believe it was not a commonly used drug despite the importance of Hemp in Chinese agriculture.
?-Kongde-?
Kongde
Initiate

Unread postby PeanutButterToast » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:06 am

So if I am understanding this correctly, they used hemp and cannabis for medicinal purposes, but it wasn't regularly used recreationally? Like, there probably weren't very many stoners around this time, despite it being all over the place? I don't mean to sound silly, I'm seriously curious. Thank y'all for your replies.
PeanutButterToast
Initiate

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:59 am

PeanutButterToast wrote:So if I am understanding this correctly, they used hemp and cannabis for medicinal purposes, but it wasn't regularly used recreationally? Like, there probably weren't very many stoners around this time, despite it being all over the place? I don't mean to sound silly, I'm seriously curious. Thank y'all for your replies.

The texts don't suggest drug use was something that happened on mass but it doesn't really go into detail about such things. It may well have been limited to certain rich groupings that could afford it and disagreed with the Confucian restraint like He Yan so indulged in pleasure.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Rezko_Kanashi » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:57 pm

I have a few questions from around the end of the Han Dynasty period. (190 AD -198 AD)

Did Dong Zhou's entire bloodline die out after he was executed to the third degree, and do we have any documentation on how Lu Bü was seen by both the common folk, and the former enemy coalition leaders after taking part in setting up Dong Zhou's demise? Also what was Emperor Xian's relationship with the Tyrant? Was he fearful of Dong Zhou, or was he thankful for the position he was given?
Rezko_Kanashi
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:25 pm

Rezko_Kanashi wrote:I have a few questions from around the end of the Han Dynasty period. (190 AD -198 AD)

Did Dong Zhou's entire bloodline die out after he was executed to the third degree, and do we have any documentation on how Lu Bü was seen by both the common folk, and the former enemy coalition leaders after taking part in setting up Dong Zhou's demise? Also what was Emperor Xian's relationship with the Tyrant? Was he fearful of Dong Zhou, or was he thankful for the position he was given?

1) Yes his forces rose up and killed his bloodline at Mei

2) Yuan Shu felt Lu Bu was a betrayer and refused to hire him. Generally warlords were either "heroic killer of the tyrant" or "traitor", depending on their relationship with Lu Bu at the time and what the convenient message was. Don't think common people's view was known, we know there were celebrations in Chang'an at the deed though who they credited it more to I can't say.

3) I think Emperor Xian being grateful for the murder of his half-brother and predecessor would not have gone down well among the gentry. Emperor Xian was young at the time so impossible to know what exactly he felt about Dong Zhuo, I don't think there is anything recorded till later when any thoughts he had would have to be couched to soothe whoever controlled him
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Rezko_Kanashi » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:12 pm

I've recently read some of your analysis on Yuan Shao, and He Jin. My question is how would He Jin not have known that Yuan Shao was abusing his new position as an investigator, and threatening to kill the eunuchs even if He Jin had offered them a peaceful exit? That type of drastic action from Yuan Shao would have likely been reported, and known about considering He Jin had become very well perceived by many in Luo Yang.
Rezko_Kanashi
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:51 pm

Sorry for taking so long to respond Rezko-Kanashi but good question.

At some point, given long enough, word surely have reached He Jin from someone eventually but Yuan Shao may have been hoping to have forced situation or made it difficult for He Jin to overturn by that point.

Who would report though before then (I know you mentioned capital gentry but going through the options)?

1) Yuan Shao and his surely carefully chosen men wouldn't, this was to get the result they wanted and even those less keen on killing, the Yuan's were powerful patrons.

2) the local officials/gentry won't, this is breaking the eunuchs local power which they welcome and assuming Yuan Shao is competent, any reports would have likely gone to Yuan Shao's allies.

3) the capital gentry were the ones who had slandered the He family background, I suspects the capital gentry's support was more becuase he suited their interest to get rid of the eunuchs rather then loyalty to He Jin. The Yuan's were master patrons and long established, imperial family figures came and went so in their interests (for those not so keen on eunuch destruction) to back the heir of the Yuan clan by turning blind eye.

4) eunuchs. Given they would have thought it was He Jin, probably not the route they were likely to take
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium