Best/Favourite Kingdom (and Why?) Discussion

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Best/Favourite of the Three Kingdoms?

Wei
34%
Shu
40%
Wu
26%

Total votes : 406

Re: Best/Favourite Kingdom (and Why?) Discussion

Unread postby Han » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:54 am

Sure. Whatever u say. :wink: :roll:
Liu Bei did nothing wrong.
Han
Changshi

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:39 am

Let's be civil, ladies. :)
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
DaoLunOfShiji
Master

Unread postby Han » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:03 am

We have been quite civil, dont be an extra. :wink:
Han
Changshi

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:24 am

Actually if Daolun hadn't stepped in, I would have had to so he was being a good forum member in trying to calm things down
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Han » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:58 pm

But things were already calm is kind of my point... eh whatever.
Han
Changshi

Unread postby Li_Shengsun » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:43 am

tbh, if i were asked about this favorite thing. I'd choose Wei hands down.
they just too stronk to be beaten that easily, noting that Cao Cao build the foundation since Dong Zhuo's time. He attract so many great talent and general of the time, seen so many wars, facing hardship each other. They're far too experienced on the ground warfare.
Shu on the other hand, despite having the best tactician, general and minister. I seen they're rather doesnt put too much trust to each other (ex. ZGL with Wei Yan. Zhang Fei with his subordinate. etc). It's rather surprising the country with bunch of people like these survive so long.

Well, it's not like i dont favor Shu or Wu at all. or rather, i would like them to be get along with each other. I mean they're have a common goal after all. Wasn't that enough to make them support each other to make that goal come true?
Everyone has flaws. It's a matter of finding the ones you can live with.
Li_Shengsun
Tyro

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:55 pm

Shu on the other hand, despite having the best tactician, general and minister

I didn't know Cao Cao served Shu :wink:

I should point out the Zhuge Liang distrusting Wei Yan was a novel invention, possibly done to make Zhuge Liang seem near omnipotent but it doesn't so well nowadays. Every kingdom had issues with trust in some shape or form leading to executions or splits but Shu was internally stable under Liu Bei and Liu Shan.

Well, it's not like i dont favor Shu or Wu at all. or rather, i would like them to be get along with each other. I mean they're have a common goal after all. Wasn't that enough to make them support each other to make that goal come true?

It's more, as Shu envoy to Wu remarked
“Would it not be most joyful if peace should be restored to the empire and the land be administered by the two rulers [of Shu and Wu]?” Deng Zhi replied, “The sky does not have two suns, nor can the world have two kings. If after Wei is defeated and your Lordship has not been clearly granted the Mandate by Heaven yet, then may each ruler display his virtues, and ministers act in full loyalty; the generals shall raise the drumsticks and war-drums, and only then will the battle be begun.”

They had a common larger enemy but they both knew long term, each was aiming for number 1. The alliance hadn't started with much trust and quickly grew tense but this happened with other warlord alliances, a common foe but always with the tension of seeking to make themselves larger and to be the superior ally before conquering the other someday. While full well knowing the other is seeking to do the same thing to you
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:50 pm

I think I disagree, DZ. Cao Cao was undoubtedly the best strategist but I think Sun Ce as well as other front line generals might have been better tacticians!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:14 pm

To be honest I was wondering wh Li_Shengsun meant with those three
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Han » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:30 pm

Deng Ai or Sima Yi gets my vote I guess, Sun Ce never faced any real competition excluding Huang Zu while Cao Cao faced too many avoidable 'defeats' for me to brand him the best tactician.
Han
Changshi

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium