Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:06 am

Tao Qian wrote:Someone knows how old was Cao Cao when he invaded the privince of Jingzhou?

Early 50s - he was born in 155 and invaded in 208
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tao Qian » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:25 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:
Tao Qian wrote:Someone knows how old was Cao Cao when he invaded the privince of Jingzhou?

Early 50s - he was born in 155 and invaded in 208

Thanks! :D
Tao Qian
Assistant

Unread postby greencactaur » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:46 am

How was Zhang Liao received under Lu Bu? Was he worth praising during his career under Lu Bu? I have always been under the impression his fame sky rocketed more so after joining Cao Cao. Specially after the events of He Fei.
greencactaur
Master

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:22 pm

greencactaur wrote:How was Zhang Liao received under Lu Bu? Was he worth praising during his career under Lu Bu? I have always been under the impression his fame sky rocketed more so after joining Cao Cao. Specially after the events of He Fei.

Zhang Liao's sgz skips through is early career to an extent, only till after Guan Du does it start going into details about battles he fought. Ding Yuan saw his skill as a warrior, Lu Bu promoted Zhang Liao twice and Cao Cao used him quickly after Zhang Liao's surrender which suggests to me Zhang Liao was of some note during their fights.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Han » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:54 pm

IIRC Zhang Liao while teaming with Gao Shun also defeated Liu Bei one of the greatest military generals of that era under Lü Bu orders.
Liu Bei did nothing wrong.
Han
Scholar

Unread postby Tao Qian » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:02 am

Hi everybody,

I wanted to ask about Xiakou. in the "Romance of the three kingdoms", on chapter 39, Sun Quan conquers the city and send Gan Ning there. But on chapter 42 when Liu Bei is escaping from Cao Cao, Zhuge Liang goes there for reinforcements.
When did Liu Biao recover the city?

Tao Qian
Assistant

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:31 am

My understanding is that Sun Quan captured the city, massacred inhabitants, took the rest captive then abandoned it. This previous post backs up this sequence of events, meaning Huang Zu/Liu Biao could have retaken it at any time.

Sun Fin wrote:For the most part these threads are all self-referential in terms of sources. The interesting conversation occurs in this thread.

This post claims it was in Sun Quan's SGZ itself:

Lu Kang wrote:The mention of a massacre is actually in Chen Shuo's own text. From Sun Quan's SGZ:

In the spring of the 13th year [208], [Sun] Quan again attacked Huang Zu. At first [Huang] Zu sent his navy to resist the army, but Chief Commandant Lu Meng broke his vanguard. Ling Tong and Dong Xi attacked him and then massacred his city. [Huang] Zu fled. Riders pursued him and took his head. Several tens of thousands people were taken captive.

and this former, much respected member backs it up:

Crazedmongoose wrote:What? NO.

Chen Shou was quite clear about this. And I read it in the original chinese.

He massacred Xiakou, and then whomever survived was taken captive. It was sequential. Or else he wouldn't have used the phrase "massacred his city" (tu qi cheng)

The problem is we don't know what translation Lu Kang used. We might need to wait for xuesanguo to translate Sun Quan's biography to get a final answer. :lol:
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tao Qian » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:51 pm

I see, thanks a lot :D
Another footnote thanks to you, guys :D
Tao Qian
Assistant

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium